This page uses content from the John Smith biography page on the English version of Wikipedia and is licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License. This list of authors can be seen in the page history. Rotten Tomatoes disclaims any and all warranties as to the accuracy or reliability of the content.
The name John Smith often is regarded as the archetype of a common personal name in most English-speaking countries. In the United States and England "John" has been one of the most common first names, and "Smith" is the most common surname in each. It is a recurrent pseudonym, placeholder name, or metasyntactic name in those countries. In this fashion it is similar to the name "John Doe" in the U.S. and "Joe Bloggs" in the UK.
There are a number of famous people called "John Smith":
- John Smith (UK politician) (1938-1994), leader of the British Labour Party
- John Smith (English statesman), commissioner of the English Treasury, 1694-1695
- John Smith (Welsh politician) (born 1951), Welsh politician and Labour Party Member of Parliament
- John Smith (Manchester politician), Councillor in the City of Manchester
- John Valentine Smith (1824-1895), New Zealand politician
(order by state and name of office)
- John Cotton Smith (1765-1845), Connecticut Governor
- John Joseph Smith (1904-1980), Connecticut, U.S. Representative, federal judge
- John Butler Smith (1838-1914), New Hampshire Governor
- John Smith (New York), New York, U.S. Senator, 1804-1813
- John Walter Smith (1845-1925), Maryland Governor
- John M. C. Smith (1853-1923), Michigan, U.S. Representative
- John Smith (Ohio Senator) (1735-1824), Ohio, U.S. Senator
- John Quincy Smith (1824-1901), Ohio, U.S. Representative
- Jonathan Bayard Smith (1742-1812), Pennsylvania Continental Congress delegate
(listed alphabetically by key word)
- John Raphael Smith (1752-1812), artist: mezzotint engraver and painter, English
- John Smith (BBC) (born 1957), BBC director of finance, property and business affairs
- John Smith (comics), comics writer, British
- John Smith of Jamestown (1580-1631), explorer
- John Smith (filmmaker) (born 1952), filmmaker, avant-garde, London-based
- John Stafford Smith (1750-1836), music: composer of the tune for "The Star-Spangled Banner"
- John Smith (mathematician), mathematician at the University of Oxford, 1766-1797
- John Smith (dentist) (1825-1910), founder of the Edinburgh school of Dentistry
- John Cyril Smith (1922-2003), leading authority on English Criminal Law
- John Lawrence Smith (1818-83), American doctor and president of the American Association for the Advancement of Science
(Listed alphabetically by sport)
- John L. Smith, head football coach at Michigan State
- John Smith (footballer)
- John T. Smith, American professional wrestler
- John Smith (wrestler) (born 1965)
(Listed alphabetically by denomination)
- John Smith (1781-1854), Mormon, an uncle of Joseph Smith, Jr.
- John Smith (1832-1911), Mormon, a nephew of Joseph Smith, Jr.
- John Smith (1781-1854), Mormon Presiding Patriarch
- John Smith (Platonist) (1618-52), one of the founders of the Cambridge Platonists
- John Smith (missionary) (1790-1824), English missionary in the West Indies
(listed alphabetically by descriptive word)
- John F. Smith, Jr. (born 1939), General Motors former Chairman and CEO
- John Smith of Jamestown (1580-1631), Jamestown colony leader
- John Smith (VC) (c. 1814-????), soldier and Victoria Cross recipient
- John Smith (brewer) (died 1879), Tadcaster brewery founder in North Yorkshire
- John ("Johnny") Smith, the protagonist in Stephen King's novel The Dead Zone
- John "Hannibal" Smith, the main character in the series The A-Team
- John Smith, the name given to Brad Pitt's character in Mr. & Mrs. Smith
- John Smith, an alias of the DC Comics superhero Red Tornado
- John Smith, an alias of Bruce Wayne in Batman: The Animated Series
- John Smith, the father of one of Veronica Mars' classmates in the third episode, "Meet John Smith"
- John Smith, a minor character in My-HiME
- John Smith, the leading character Kyon's alter ego in Suzumiya Haruhi (series)
- Dr. John Smith, a regular alias of The Doctor in Doctor Who
- John Smyth
- Johnny Smith
- Jon Smith
- John Maynard Smith (1920-2004), a geneticist, whose complete surname is "Maynard Smith", not "Smith"
- John Smit (born 1978), South African rugby player
- Juan Smith (born 1981), South African rugby player
- John Smith's Brewery
- List of people by name: Smith, J-M#Smith, Je-Ju
Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify the biographical information on this page under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.