This page uses content from the Michael Flood biography page on the English version of Wikipedia and is licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License. This list of authors can be seen in the page history. Rotten Tomatoes disclaims any and all warranties as to the accuracy or reliability of the content.
Dr Michael Flood is an Australian sociologist. His main topic is men's studies.
He is also the coordinator of XYonline, a profeminist website providing a range of commentary and research on men and masculinities, male sexuality, feminism, the men's movement and male violence from a feminist perspective. He received a PhD in Gender and Sexuality Studies at the Australian National University (ANU) in 2001.
He is currently a Postdoctoral fellow at La Trobe University's "Australian Research Centre in Sex, Health and Society" and is a regular contributor to Online Opinion and occasionally to the ABC and the Sydney Morning Herald. He was previously a Research Fellow at The Australia Institute.
He is often perceived as anti-male, as he is highly critical of the men's rights and fathers' rights streams of the men's movementBacklash: Angry men's movements in The Battle and Backlash Rage On: Why Feminism Cannot Be Obsolete Ed S.E Rossi Xlibris Press, 2004 http://www.latrobe.edu.au/arcshs/Staff/pdfs/flood/backlash%20_angry_men_mvmnts.pdf. But such a view does not adequately represent his broad engagements in interrogating the range and form of contemporary masculinities.
- Compiled by Michael Flood The Men's Bibliography (2006), (15th edition) http://mensbiblio.xyonline.net/
- Mainstreaming Men in Work Towards Gender Equality http://www.xyonline.net/downloads/Mainstreaming.doc
- Why Violence Against Women is a Men's Issue: http://www.xyonline.net/VAWismensissue.shtml
- Backlash: Angry men's movements in The Battle and Backlash Rage On: Why Feminism Cannot Be Obsolete Ed S.E Rossi Xlibris Press, 2004 http://www.latrobe.edu.au/arcshs/Staff/pdfs/flood/backlash%20_angry_men_mvmnts.pdf
- 'Fathers' Rights and Violence Against Women': http://www.xyonline.net/downloads/Flood_Mythsmisconceptions.doc
- Men's Collective Struggles for Gender Justice: The case of anti-violence activism in Handbook for Studies of Masculinities (2004), Ed M Kimmel, R.W Connell and J Hearn Sage, http://www.latrobe.edu.au/arcshs/Staff/pdfs/flood/men_anti_violence.pdf
- Lust, Trust and Latex: Why young heterosexual men do not use condoms Culture, Health, & Sexuality 5 (2003) http://www.latrobe.edu.au/arcshs/Staff/pdfs/flood/lust_trust.pdf
- Youth and Pornography in Australia : Evidence on the extent of exposure and likely effects (with Clive Hamilton) The Australia Institute, Discussion Paper No 52, February (2003) http://www.latrobe.edu.au/arcshs/Staff/pdfs/flood/yth_porn_in_aust.pdf
- Engaging Men: Strategies and dilemmas in violence prevention education among men Women Against Violence: A Feminist Journal 13 (2002-2003) http://www.latrobe.edu.au/arcshs/Staff/pdfs/flood/engaging_men.pdf
- Pathways to Manhood: The social and sexual ordering of young men's lives Health Education Australia 2 (2002) http://www.latrobe.edu.au/arcshs/Staff/pdfs/flood/pathways_manhood.pdf
- 'Menâ??s Movements.' Community Quarterly (Special Issue: Masculinities) 46 (1998): http://www.xyonline.net/downloads/Mensmovements.pdf
- 'Frequently asked questions about pro-feminist men and pro-feminist men's politics': http://www.xyonline.net/misc/pffaq.html
- 'Homophobia and masculinities among young men (Lessons in becoming a straight man)': http://www.xyonline.net/misc/homophobia.html
de: Michael Flood
Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify the biographical information on this page under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.