Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lightning Thief Reviews

January 17, 2010
Mediocre actors with Greek mythology. I knew what I was in for but I give mythology a shot every time. Now take a wannabe clash of titans with even weaker demigods and you got this travesty. I would not recommend this to any one unless your children love lame powers and magical beasts.
June 19, 2015
This movie is very different from the book but highly enjoyable when watched without making too many comparisons. Logan Lerman as Percy Jackson is beyond perfect and makes the series, both books and movies, a whole lot more likeable.
June 2, 2015
I liked it better than most teen movies.
November 6, 2012
Among the countless Harry Potter knockoffs in print and film, Percy Jackson is the only one worth any consideration.
December 24, 2014
Wonderfully directed by the great, Chris Columbus.

But this film is terribly acted, has a bad ill-written script and is rather illogical...not to mention Percy Jackson tries hard to be the next "Harry Potter", but let's face it, Percy Jackson is a bad sad ripoff of the amazing Harry Potter that lacks everything that makes Harry Potter so great!
½ April 29, 2015
It's alright.
A fresh rating of 61%
"Though a sort of Harry Potter knockoff, Percy Jackson benefits from a strong cast and the power of the Greek mythology mixed in our world."
½ August 13, 2013
Capitalizing on the success of Harry Potter for sure - Percy Jackson succeeds in building a fun modern fantasy world using Greek mythology as a backbone but its characters are too flat and boring to make full use of the potential of the concept. It also features plenty of rather pointless changes to the book it was adapting including once again misunderstanding Hades as the Greek mythology version of Satan which he never was in the myths while the book got his character totally correct. This one of many areas of disrespect to its source material that makes this a huge missed opportunity
April 21, 2015
It's not a great movie by any means, but for what it is, it got the job done. It doesn't take it self as seriously as the Harry Potter movies, but there's still a dark vibe to them and can balance the drama and comedy well. The third act kind of dragged on, but the rest of the movie moved quickly and I never really felt bored watching it.
February 12, 2010
I was not expecting much from this movie, but I figured, you never know, and I took a chance on it. The movie was pretty dumb. The writing was silly, epically the dialogue. And the acting, for the most part, was sub pare. I spent most of my time watching the movie thinking "you can't be serious." But hey, a kid might like it. Because the movie is essentially a "tween" movie.
April 5, 2015
This film, as an adaptation, is pure garbage, it barely follows anything fron the book, and what it follows it executes it in a pretty halfass way compared to the book, but ive got to admit that, as a standalone film, ignoring the book, its ok.
½ November 15, 2013
The Lightning Theif derives greatly from the source material, leading to it becoming an average film. With such great potential, the movie is a bit of a disappointment. A truly great book was turned into an ok movie. The characters are all fine, some of the supporting cast is strong due to done familiar faces. The action is fun, with one suspenseful stand out scene in the middle. The climax delivers a good twist and a fun final throw down. The script is decent enough, and the effects are pretty good. The plot is a bit all over the place, never really stating entirely focused. Overall it's a bearable but disappointing adaptation of such rich source material. Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lightning Thief gets 2.5/5 stars (C).
April 3, 2015
Without having read the book, this adaptation is a lot of fun, with not-terrible performances from it's young leads.
March 30, 2015
OK now I watched the original, and while better than the second one, is still not a film worth my or anyone else's time. Skip this if you can.
March 10, 2015
If you're a fan of the book, then this will most cetainly leave a sour taste in your mouth. The main antagonist of the book is Ares, the God of War, but in this, it is the character Luke, who's revelation as a villain came THREE MOVIES EARLIER THAN IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN. Also, the protagonists are supposed to be younger, Annabelle is supposed to be blonde, and again, where was Ares???
May 30, 2012
It's fun to watch but has literally no relation to the book at all. It goes by fast and involves good green mythology and action. Not very good acting and sequence but I still somewhat enjoy it
March 3, 2015
awesome movie, must see it!
March 2, 2015
This movie turned out to be a lot more fun than I thought it was going to be. I'm really looking forward to seeing the next one!
January 29, 2010
It's literally a stock Greek myth, every step of one, copy-pasted into a narrative, and delivered by people around 20 playing 16 and consciously trying to talk like they're 12 and sassy - tone is as bad as you'd expect for a Greek myth transported into present day teenagers and rated PG. Lerman isn't very good, Jackson is good but exemplifies the trashy angle, Brosnan blatantly copies McKellan. Also, the CGI is not that great, nor are the sets, though I'd like to visit wherever that camp was - very scenic. Not really any good messages. All that said, it's an enjoyable yarn. You know, fight scenes and junk. And I caught all the references, so maybe that was part of it. Also I did not go in expecting much. That's probably the important thing. Do not go in with expectations, and you will be okay.
February 26, 2015
The Good Part:
Applying Greek myth to a modern YA movie, is a daring take that brings a fun adventure nonetheless. Fans of the myth would be geeking out with the many references, as well as the star studded ensemble that brings Olympus to the heart of the story. Amazing visual effects adds to its fun of spectacle. Logan Lerman is a standout as the lead character.

The Bad Part:
Why the need to change many important parts of the original story? I wonder if it would be more fun had it was more faithful to the novel. That explains why sometimes parts of the movie felt at loss and disconnected with the whole. This would then cause a chain reaction to the next movie.
½ February 24, 2015
If you haven't read the book, you will be slightly confused, but overall you'll probably enjoy the movie. If you have read and enjoyed the book, you will probably be pretty disappointed.