Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lightning Thief - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lightning Thief Reviews

April 29, 2016
esta pelicula es un poco mala y mediocre, pero me gusto.
April 17, 2016
Leaves out huge important chunks of the book. Annabeth's hair not even blond???
April 4, 2016
Sure, its not like the book, and it can be kinda awkward at times, but The Lightning Thief is a successful fantasy movie.
½ April 2, 2016
love it watch it over and over read the books non stop as well
½ March 28, 2016
Fast-paced, funny without forcing the jokes, and entertaining to watch.
March 1, 2010
A run-off of one of columbus's harry potter movies minus the magic and add greek gods. the plot in this movie does not match the book. you will have more fun reading the books than watching this movie. and the idea of Uma Thurman trying to play medusa just makes me want to downgrade it to 2 starts
February 19, 2016
As someone for whom the Percy Jackson books helped to define their preteen years this movie is an insult. Now I understand that a film can stray far from its source material while still telling a quality story. Jurassic Park is a great example of this, so I know to judge a film solely on its own merits as an independent story, or as an addition to a greater film franchise, and even by those standards this movie is horrible. I am not saying this lightly as it fails by almost all standards: terrible CGI, bad acting, poor pacing, lazy casting, and worst of all it all feels like it was turned out of a heartless factory production machine. No care. I had a friend of mine (of whom has a similar relation to this book series) tell me in a discussion that if he won the Powerball lottery that the first thing he would do would be to buy the rights to and finance a proper Percy Jackson movie adaptation. It is sad that someone should have to feel like that about the legacy of a piece of their childhood.

Rating: F
March 15, 2016
Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lightning Thief tries too hard to be another Harry Potter but comes out short in the thrills department.
March 12, 2016
As someone who has read all of the books, this movie does not follow the book its based on. Many things are left out and somethings are even added. I won't list them, both for not wanting to spoil those who haven't read the book and because there are so many.
December 21, 2009
i soooo want to see this!!!!!!
March 7, 2016
Probably the worst book to movie adaptation that I have ever seen
½ March 2, 2016
It's like the director looked at the cover of the book, read the description and then said screw it I want to make a crap film. The actors were not terrible but they were not fit for their parts in the movie such as Annabeth and Grover. Major characters from the book were left out of the movie all together, it's like leaving out Malfoy or Neville from the Harry Potter movies.
February 29, 2016
I thought the book and the movie were really great but there was just so many differences between them. Some of the differences between them were just minor but some are really big to the story line.
For starters the plot was changed, the main idea of the entire story changed in the book he went on a quest to get to Hollywood, California with only the resources they could carry on their backs to retrieve the Master Bolt for Zeus and save his mother from the underworld and already had the pearls needed to get to and from the underworld. In the movie Percy goes on a quest to find the pearls needed to get to the underworld and retrieve the Master Bolt and save rescue his mother. A really big thing they changed between the book and the movie was that in the book the god of war Ares was the one who had the items to cause a war between the three most powerful gods in the world. Ares stole them from Lucas who had stolen them to begin with, while in the movie Ares wasn't even there he wasn't even involved in the movie and Hades helmet wasn't ever stolen it was just the Master Bolt and Lucas had hidden it in the shield he had given to Percy. The event coming after this was when Percy had retrieved the Helmet stolen from Hades after he injured Ares during the battle they had and went to Olympus to return it and tell Zeus who he thought was the culprit was. After that he has to make a choice between living at Camp-Half Blood year round or to live with his mom and while he was there the one who originally stole everything Lucas tried to kill him with a scorpion until Chiron saved his life and nursed him back to health.But in the movie none of that ever happened so instead he was heading to Olympus to return the Master Bolt him and Lucas had this battle on the rooftop to where Percy wins and returns the Master Bolt to Zeus.
A minor thing that they left out of the movie was when Percy notices the three fates across the road from him and grover. This wasn't too important of a part but it gave you a little bit more insight into what Percy had in stake for him further into the movie. The one part that I didn't mind them changing was the part about Medusa dying, in the book when Medusa was killed they didn't really do anything with it they just kinda left it be. While in the movie they brought it with them on their journey and it actually helped them throughout the it, but at the end something that was completely new to the story was that at the end Percy put it in his mom's old apartment and told his step dad that he didn't like to not open the fridge and when he opened it Medusa's head was staring back at him and turned him to stone. The other big detail that they changed that I thought was really interesting was at the Lotus Casino, in the book you really didn't know what put them in the drug like state that wouldn't allow them to leave the Casino. But in the movie it showed you exactly what it was, it was the cookies they were eating. The servers that were there kept coming around and bringing them cookies to eat so they stay there forever.
Overall the book and the movie was really great, but the adaptation to the book was pretty terrible they change a lot they shouldn't have and it made the comparison to the two of them really terrible. So of the changes made from the book to the movie were major and destroyed the plot of the book, some were minor and didn't change the book at all, and some changed it quite a bit but it changed it for the better
½ March 23, 2015
The one thing to call this film is a missed opportunity. Seriously. How could a Harry Potter director botch up a Percy Jackson movie? Percy freakin' Jackson. This movie could have been wonderful. The source material is such an engaging read. But the film just turns out to be okay. I love Percy Jackson & the Olympians. It's my favorite book series. I saw this movie before reading the book. After I read the book, I liked the film a bit less than before. Source material is usually better than it's adapted counterparts, but this film fails at being faithful, right down to having the characters older. How is the coming of age element going to work if Percy's the age he's supposed to be by the end of the series? This is one of the many issues with the film. The film portrays Annabeth very differently from the novel. She seems more like a daughter of Ares than Athena. The plot and characters are also very simplified, as if the film is more childish than the book. How did Chris Columbus mess this up? Everything you need alright exists. All you have to do transfer it to film. Don't get me wrong. I know adaptations aren't always easy as some things have to be taken out but come on. Why couldn't Peter Jackson direct this? Okay, what's good about the film? The effects are decent, the acting is alright, and the film is a lot of fun. To sum it up, the film is okay as a stand alone movie, but bad as an adaptation. It's a missed opportunity for what could have been the first installment of an outstanding film series. The Lightning Thief is loads of fun, and I do enjoy watching it every now and then, but it could've been so much better.
½ February 20, 2016
I'm a fan of the book and Anna beth does not have black hair.
February 16, 2016
Great movie! I personally really liked it! The plot was great and seeing Percy evolve as a character was neat.
February 4, 2016
This movie had cool affect, and a fun story, but the script writing was bad.
February 9, 2010
Another case of Hollywood ruining my childhood. Thanks Hollywood.
January 30, 2016
SO MUCH FIGHTING I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
November 22, 2015
The Lightning theif is a stupid idea to make, There's not a single good act into any of the actors and the lady who plays medusa is the worst actress ever in the entire world.
Dylan O Brien can do better acting than Logan Lerman.

My Score Opinion: 28/100