10,000 B.C. Reviews

August 22, 2008
I went in expecting less and a had a fun action packed ride. Was looking for a good fast action movie with nice effects and thats what I got.
½ March 26, 2008
This movie starts off on a bit of a bad foot in my opinion. We are introduced to a prehistoric tribe as they prepare to go hunting for woolly mammoths. No sooner have you even attempted to get to grips with the various silly character names we are thrust into the hunt as the tribesmen creep up on a herd of mammoths, separate one and eventually kill it. The main issue here being I kinda felt sorry for the mammoth and didn't wanna see it get killed, I wanted it to escape from the pesky humans, so already I'm not liking the main characters.

Back in the late 90's early 00's Roland Emmerich was kinda like the Michael Bay of our present day. This German bloke was throwing out big loud flashy action/disaster flicks like no ones business, the only different being some of these weren't too bad. Take this movie for example, now to look at this you could be forgiven for thinking it was some kind of trashy CGI stuffed dinosaur action flick with lots of ridiculously overblown stunts and heroic poses by some big name actor. Weeeeell you're half way there...but no, amazingly this isn't one of those films.

Set...errmm 10,000 years ago during a semi fictional prehistoric fantasy age, we meet a tribe of homo-sapiens that (so I've read) live in the Urals (Russia basically). They are your typical tribe of primitive people adorned with animal skins, bones and all sorts of crap they've found lying around. They have an old wise woman who is basically just plain weird and does all their predictions etc...generally telling them what to do and when to do it, regular cliches. The odd thing I noticed was this tribe seemed to be made up of different races of people. The young sexy male lead is a white dude with heavy tan makeup, there's a young (black?) mixed race kid, Cliff Curtis of New Zealand and the others also seem to be (black?) mixed race, oh and they're all wearing dreadlock wigs. I realise casting is tricky but at least try and get the same type of people for this prehistoric tribe that probably would have been all the same...geez!

The movie then has the stereotypical barbarian flick moment when a group of nasty savages (slave traders) on horseback ride into this tribes village, kill some folk and take others prisoner. Naturally...and as I'm sure you've guessed...the heroes blue eyed plaything get nabbed too so off he trots with some mates to rescue her. The small band of warriors then proceeds to apparently walk from the Urals in Russia all the way to the African continent. Admittedly we do see lots of very nice landscape sequences of them travelling across mountain ranges and vast expanses of tundra but you gotta think that would kill them, especially as they're only wearing furs.

After walking across the frozen wastes of Russia and half of the Middle East apparently the plucky tribesmen reach hot jungles which could be anywhere (10,000 years ago remember). A quick battle with some terror birds (which I've read mainly lived in South America a few million years ago but never mind) and its presumably off into Africa as the men reach desert terrain. There they team up with lots and lots of various tribes of African warriors who only now decide to rise up against the evil slave traders because our main hero made friends with a Smilodon. Yep our hero fell into a trap which also had a saber-toothed cat trapped in it. Our hero help free the big cat so naturally this huge carnivore thought it would repay the offer and help our hero out too...just like in real life.

At long last the film reaches it final location which must be Egypt and the construction of the Pyramids of Giza. It sounds realistic only until I read that the 'God' running the show using all these thousands of slaves to build the pyramids is the last survivor of Atlantis. Why he wants to build these big pyramids in the desert I don't know, why all these priests and soldiers worship him as a God I don't know and how they manage to keep woolly mammoths alive in the heat I also don't know...moving on.

Yes there are lots of silly issues and factual inaccuracies in this movie, I think its fair to say that was expected with an Emmerich movie. The question is does this affect the movie? I would say no, no its actually a very solid movie which is fun to watch believe it or not. For starters they have really gone to town with the visuals, the location work is sumptuous throughout with gorgeous landscapes set against sunsets, dusks etc... Each terrain we visit looks spot on, you feel the chill in the Urals, the jungles are well created and deserts always look good in movies. The transition from the freezing mountains to the jungles was a bit quick though. Not only that but the CGI is really excellent too! yes I know its amazing, even to this day all the CGI beasts look pretty darn good...accept maybe the saber-tooth but you can't have everything. What's more I can't stress enough how impressive the pyramid construction site looks, a sprawling living sea of people and mammoths all at work like thousands of worker ants.

What also impressed me was a lot of the characters in this movie are speaking in native languages, whether they are real or not I don't know but it sure as hell sounds real. There are many different tribesmen from various regions and there has clearly been a lot of effort to create accurate attire for these warriors, accurate weapons, face paint markings, armour etc...Plus the fact they all speak a native tongue is really quite a brave and bold move I must say, considering this movie was virtually a big blockbuster affair you wouldn't really expect something like that. It all adds to the realism and atmosphere which really helps the film, you forget its a Roland Emmerich movie, it feels more like a 'Dances with Wolves' type movie. I read there was an idea to make the whole film in native tongue using subtitles, I personally think that would have been even better.

Its also interesting that Emmerich went with an unknown cast so as to give the film a more realistic edge...which it did. Its nice to see directors do that because it does work (not always). Unfortunately none of the cast, as far as I'm aware, went on to anything else. I was thinking whilst watching that I had literately no clue who they were and I couldn't place any of them from any other movie.

Its a strange animal this film, some of it is pure Hollywood action hokum with added layers of grilled cheese. Such as the characters throwing around these spears that manage to harpoon people right through, oh and the hero making this amazingly accurate pinpoint throw of his spear over quite some distance to take out the main bad guy. That small scene actually spoils the film to be honest, its so ludicrously stupid. Yet despite that there is a lot of genuinely decent stuff to enjoy here, a bit of a hodgepodge of historical/archaeological facts granted but you know what...its cool. The rise of the slaves is a rousing rollicking bit of action, the history is still compelling and it still looks great today.
Marc L.
October 7, 2011
If you're a 11 year old boy, you will probably love this movie. It has violence, special effects and a love intrest. That's all it takes to entertain 11 year old boys. However, if you are 13+ years old and have a brain, you'll probably end up hating it. The acting is really bad, the plot doesn't make sense, and it steals scenes from better movies like ALL THE TIME.

Let me start of by saying, if you've seen Apocalypto, you've seen 10,000 B.C. Ancient man tries to save loved one from civilization who captured loved one. Take away the bloody violence, the Mayans and "Apocalypto"s shear emotion and meaningfulness and throw in Mammoths, violence and cave men and you've got 10,000 B.C.

The whole film seems to be incredibly unoriginal. Guy is a loser. Guy becomes hero. Guy falls in love with girl. Girl gets captured. I bet you if I chose a random movie on Netflix, it would have the exact same plot. What's worse is, the plot isn't even fully explained, particularly in the kidnapping scene. Who are these kidnappers? Where do they come from? Also, why does it take like 2 days for the protagonists to make it from the snowy mountains to the jungle to the desert? Were they traveling in hyper speed? Oh wait, I forgot. This movie is not made for thinking.

The character development in this movie is some of the worst I've seen in a VERY long time. The characters have no personality at the beginning of the film, and they have none at the end. The relationship between D'Leh and Evolet is very underdeveloped. Not only do they barely know each other yet they fall in love in like two seconds. On top of that, we get no back story on any character in the movie, making me not care about any of them.

The acting in the film was awful as well. Steven Strait overacts and underacts, performing a down right awful performance comparable to Barry Pepper's performance in "Battlefield: Earth". Ben Badra was pretty bad too, downright awful, though I don't blame him considering most of his dialogue consists of grunts and random yells.

The dialogue in this movie is awful. It sounds like it was written by an 8 year old with quotes like "Do not eat me when I set you free". It's comparable to any of the quotes in "Battlefield: Earth" or "Troll 2" (2 Battlefield Earth refrences. I thought we'd have more.) Imagine an entire script like the line you just read, and you've got this films dialogue.

10,000 B.C is watching a kid playing LEGOs with a large and expensive budget. It's an ugly, witless, bland film filled with cliches that blantantly rips off scenes from other films. (The spear throw= "The Scorpion King", e.t.c)If you still really want to see this movie, go watch "Apocalypto" while watching "Battlefield: Earth" while shaking your head.
March 17, 2008
I really love this era and expected this to be a kind of realistic look at the era however it seems they've got a lot of their history wrong. I wasn't invested in any of the characters and to be honest I didn't really care if they got to be together or not. The scene where the mother dies to save Evolet was stupid and cheesy and ruined the film. The only good thing about it was the CG was pretty damn good.
½ January 23, 2011
That was terrible! Holy shit! Never have I seen something so.. STUPID. The dialogue makes no sense, the effects are fine, but everything else is complete and utter shit. Don't see this. Doesn't even deserve half a star.

Grade: F
September 18, 2010
what the hell was this? straight up garbage. i'm surprise roland emmerich didn't try to destroy the world in this one.
July 21, 2010
February 15, 2010
Well I could sensed that they tried to make it an "awesome" movie. How come they spoke English so fluently? Savage people were suppose to speak something like "lao mao bao"? I don't know. I used to think something like that. At least their dress up indicated something like that. And every time when I felt like "yes there's going to be an exciting moment, here it comes!" my bubbles are just bursted in a cruel way.
Sometimes I don't trust other reviewers as I found good movies which was poorly rated. But this time I felt stupid for not listening to them. I'm thankful that I watched this for free
½ May 4, 2009
Pure drivel, the first two films on which this is based were hardly works of art but at least they were entertaining. This just plods on and on with big set pieces which add little to the film. The sixties version may have been inane but at least it had Raquel Welch, not a great actress but one with a lot of charisma which is not displayed by any actor here.
½ January 14, 2010
One of the worst films I've ever seen, and not to mention how bad the effects are! This film is complete garbage!
½ September 29, 2009
Alright, so 10,000 BC is not historically accurate, for instance woolly mammoths and horses did not roam earth at the same time, but as a bit of an escape, 10,000 BC is fine. The hero has to convince many tribes to join together to defeat the evil master.
September 13, 2009
Another one of those movies that seemed right up my alley that I thought I'd love from the previews, but turned out to be a HUGE disappointment. Not as much about animals and the old days as I'd thought, more of a lame fantasy film.
½ March 20, 2008
Right, a guy who looks like jason Castro from American Idol who also looks as if a ham sandwich could kick his ass is gonna hunt a wooly mammoth? Noooo i think ill pass, thanks... EDIT: ok i saw it. and yes, if i were a ham sandwich i would not be scared of this caveman.
½ March 3, 2008
Roland Emmerich's latest blockbuster offering 10,000 BC tells the age old tale of a young tribesman D'Leh who crosses mountains to rescue his ladylove Evolet from the enemies.

I thought it was terrible. Sure, some of the prehistoric animals looked fine, but that was about it. Talk about bloopers - the actors don't look prehistoric, the make-up was bad (who had perfect white teeth in 10,000 BC?) What's with the almost-dreadlocks? And the mammoths - weren't they supposed to belong to the Ice Age, and Ice Age only? What are they doing dragging huge blocks in the middle of a desert? Even the plot is so outdated and lame.

The only reason I'm giving this a two is because the Sabertooth looked really awesome. Even though it just came out from nowhere, at least they made something out of this huge epic pile of garbage.

Total waste of money. Compared to Apocalypto - one of the best epics I've seen so far - this movie is nothing.
May 21, 2009
Once upon a time, I wrote a detailed review about this crappy film. Mysteriously, it has disappeared off Flixster. I kind of wish this movie would have disappeared during production. But anyways, here's my review in a nutshell since I can't remember details:*ahem*This film sucks really really bad. It's awful. I say so, 91% of critics say so, and a majority of moviegoers also say so. So if you decide to watch this crapfest after knowing all this, then somebody should pee on you. Thank you, and have a nice day.
August 9, 2008
Two stars are for the sfx only.story is way to dull and its just so boring.Took me 4 go's to watch this on dvd and i wish i never did!Words to mr emmerich is to go back and make those sci-fi,disaters flicks he's good at.......
March 3, 2008
the obvious historical innaccuracies are a huge black mark for this film, and it had its rediculous moments, but i couldnt help but enjoy this film a lot. im usually more into the intelligence of a film and this was more action and eye candy than intelligent, but i had a lot of fun watching this movie. i couldnt wait to see what would happen next. the end felt silly, but i still cared more about the characters than i should have. this may be a bit of a guilty pleasure because its not "good", but i loved it anyway.
½ March 7, 2009
It's not as great as the hype was for it, but it's also not as bad as the critics made it out to be.

10,000 BC is at fault for being far out when it's accuracy pertaining history is concerned. (Yet - I think that was the entire point, it is considered "fantasy"). As well as a bit of the prehistoric creatures look a little fake. However, I have to give them credit for the "Mammoths" as they come off really convincing. I think this movie could of also benfited from having at least one big name actor, but the leading actress is super-cute so that counts for something.

The movie itself has a great plot. It's a typical love story in which after a tribes people is kidnapped, the lead hunter, sets out to find his girl as well as his fellow tribe members who has been kidnapped. Along the journey he discovers not only his people, but other tribes, other kidnapped victims, an entire world he never knew existed, as well as a lot about himself and about his family history. There's some great twist and soul searching behind this movies plot, and I give it great props.

The actors are not anyone major, but there fairly convincing for the roles they must play. There's points in which some of the actors from the main tribe seem a little bit to modern for the movie, but overall, it's a fun action packed adventure that takes you back in time too a time in which we rarley get a glimpse into - 10,000 BC!
March 5, 2008
Not as bad as I expected after hearing the critic reviews. It has some good moments and the SFX are pretty good. Starts to get a bit like a battle epic towards the end like 300, Troy but it doesn't come close to either of them. Ok for a rent.