The Brave Reviews

February 17, 2015
Bad. Teenage boy fantasy of a 'cool edgy film.' A mix of hyper-Lynchian atmosphere and "Kooky Weirdness (R)" mixed with overly sentimental god-bless bs. Cut the cheesy sex scene, cut the mystical father, cut the drug dealer friend, cut some of the corny music-- y'know, cut like an hour out-- focus on how much of a loser this guy is to his family and his pact with Brando as his redemption... woulda been like 80x better.
That said, Brando was definitely the best part of the film. Apparently he improvised the thing too.
July 16, 2013
Johnny Depp's directorial debut is a bit heavy-handed and awkward in places. A literally very dark adaptation of a Gregory McDonald novel-the director of photography needs to get away from silhouette shots and filming in the dark-leaves your eyes straining to follow the story. The material in itself is good, but self-indulgent and slow direction moves this film into the realm of the laborious. One of Marlon Brando's last films.
May 27, 2013
not bad but to slow for me.
December 27, 2012
I really wanna see this!
December 7, 2012
Looks interesting will try to find and watch!
½ November 11, 2012
Interesting concept with a direction I did not expect. A big letdown though.
October 22, 2012
The Brave is actor Johnny Depp's debut film as a director and while the film is flawed in many ways it must be said that it is a pretty decent attempt, Depp who became a household name in the late 80's and early 90's directs and stars in a tale about a Native American man who is willing to go to very extreme lengths to provide for his family. Based on a novel that has a similar story Depp's first attempt at directing isn't a bad one but it is clear that there is significant room for improvement as the film goes on for far too long and it is also a bit slow to start however the second half of the film is extremely powerful and the ever consistent Depp is magnificent in the starring role.

Raphael is a native American man who lives in a slum-junkyard neighborhood with his wife and two children and he makes a little money be selling scrap items that he finds in the rubbish. When Raphael is offered a substantial amount of money to appear in a snuff film that would leave his family with a modest home and enough spare cash to get by for a while he agrees to do it and he is then given a week to live before appearing in the film. Raphael decides that he will spend a small portion of his cash on gifts for his wife and kids so he can have one last week of peace and joy with the family he loves.

The Brave is by no means a masterpiece in fact it is far off it as the film's narrative is pretty weak between the first and final sequences and it definitely runs far too long for it's own good but Depp plays the character of Raphael with such passion and heart and he clearly shows that there are a lot of things he would do for family by making a film of this like and he is as good as usual in this one. That the film was so widely panned by critics at the Cannes Festival will remain a mystery to me because while it has it's faults there are much worse films out there.
October 21, 2012
A dark and disturbing vision of native american poverty colliding with market forces and racist greed.
October 9, 2012
I really wanted to watch this film but couldn't find it for many years... Now i did see it and boy was it worth the wait! It's a very beautiful film, filled with many ideas, visual wonders & a haunting Johnny Depp! The cast is awesome, Brando is bringing some acting masterness in his short cameo. A really good film. Too Bad Depp hasn't directed any other films, he's got a lot to say....
January 3, 2010
might see this some day just cause of johnny
April 2, 2012
Dark, slow, poignant, banned in the US. Watch it and you'll find out why.
November 16, 2007
it's Johnny Depp. i'm sold.
½ July 9, 2008
Very slow, and not much happens. Is it terrible, that I kept waiting to see what he actually had to do to earn the rest of his $ (the description above explains more than the movie does- ha!)-? Sometimes scenes and transitions felt so freaking fake that I had to laugh, but there were a few beautiful dusty, sweeping scenes. Also, how cheesy was that appearance by Iggy Pop. I'm glad I FINALLY got my hands on a copy of this movie, after wondering about it for years (Thanks Domy Books)
July 16, 2011
really, really loved the movie... the actors do a perfect job and the story is just blowing your mind...and so sad...
June 5, 2011
Johnny Depp = amazing. Never surprising. <3
February 3, 2011
I have only seen this movie twice and am making a point of not watching it again unless absolutely necessary, or at least after a few months at a time. It is a beautiful story but also rathe tragic if you've read the book already and know what it's about. The ending to this movie however is much easier on the stomach. But the tears still flow like there's no tomorrow.
December 27, 2010
the director of this movie is johnny depp.....it is vry different movie of johnny depp.....bt i like thiz movie
September 23, 2010
I will never see it again, but i thought it was brilliant. It stays with you and makes you think.
½ November 13, 2009
watching depp's film is one of my whims and caprices so i decided to watch this..
Depp as a director of this film as well as the protagonist.
a heartbreaking story of a desperate man who sacrificed himself for the sake of his family's future. ( he will be paid for being tortured and killed )
a preposterous story over money and poverty. very realistic.
because of this ilove him morrreee...