3:10 to Yuma Reviews

March 23, 2015
Where this classic hints, the 2007 version gets obvious. Ford is a great likable villain, Heflin shows the conflicts and then very clearly the moment of decision. On top of this, considerably less violence than the remake, which makes its appearance even more disturbing.
February 23, 2015
Delmer Daves' take on the classic Elmore Leonard tale may suffer from a troublingly uneventful second act, yet this small flaw is ultimately overshadowed by two charismatic leads and some shockingly modern cinematography in this generally successful western.
January 18, 2015
A decent western. Not great - far too many implausibilities in the plot, especially the ending - but reasonably entertaining nevertheless.

It is the constant battle, moral and mental, between outlaw Ben Wade (played by Glenn Ford) and his captor Dan Evans (played by Van Heflin) that make this movie interesting. So many opportunities for Evans to do something different, something unethical, but will he take them.

It is the performances of Ford, especially, and Heflin that make this movie watchable.

I enjoyed the 2007 remake more. Wasn't brilliant, but flowed better and while it had some plotholes and implausibilities, they weren't as bad as in the 1957 movie.
½ December 21, 2014
A very well made, dialogue driven, psychological western with great morals that acts as a showcase for Glenn Ford and Van Heflin's fabulous acting skills. "3:10 to Yuma" is a classic of the genre.
November 27, 2009
A classic cowboy movie with some nice twist memorable characters and some great acting. Surpasses the remake by a mile
April 16, 2014
I have plans to see the remake at the moment.
December 26, 2013
A psychological Western that, once established, lays down a thick layer of suspense and not until the last frame does it ease up. The film has some solid performances from it's leads Heflin and Ford and a good supporting cast to go with the original story.
December 12, 2013
It's hard not to compare this to the new version (especially the difference between the two endings), but you should judge it on its own merits, and by that, it stands strong.
September 15, 2013
I love Glenn Ford's turn as the charming bad guy. Yet, Van Heflin's tough rancher steals the show!
May 9, 2013
One of the few westerns shown in the USSR .I am glad rotten tomatoes merit it as high as I did.
½ April 28, 2013
Tense, well-directed with excellent performances and atmosphere--A top-notch Western that transcends the genre!!
November 20, 2008
One of my absolute favorites
March 9, 2013
It is quite a good western this, until the last 20 minutes. Not really much of a climax to be fair. Preferred the remake!
February 23, 2013
This and High Noon stand as the finest non-conventional Westerns ever made. This film boasts excellent photography and music, along with some fine performances and a great dynamic between its two leads.
January 12, 2013
Excellent classic Western. It's such a small, simple story, and it's told in 90 minutes, but it's the way it's told that is so spectacular. I've rarely seen so much character development in a 1950's Hollywood film. I also very much liked the performances of the two main characters. Very subtle, especially for that time.
½ December 11, 2012
A testament to classic film making! The black-and-white photography is beautiful and this one sounds great. The story is also strong and a wonderful commentary on a man's heart and his choice to partake in violence!
½ November 4, 2012
Great film had high hopes as I watched and thoroughly enjoyed the remake.
August 6, 2012
Awesome movie! Definitely a classic western. Highly recommended. =)
½ August 6, 2012
Good potboiler Western! Glenn Ford plays against type as a wily outlaw, Van Heflin brings great depth to the down-on-his-luck rancher. The mind games between the two waiting for a train culminates in an excellent, nuanced ending. Elmore Leonard's original story can be felt in the unique characters and interactions. Great cinematography!
August 6, 2012
More psychological than its 2007 remake, the original is what a good old western should be. The ending is a little too happy and sappy, but everything else is tight and simple. For and Heflin are great together.

Grade: A-