The Kid Brother - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Kid Brother Reviews

July 26, 2011
Although the story is predictable, this movie is hilarious and very entertaining. I really liked Lloyd and the rest of the cast, they did a great job in their roles. The slapstick comedy doesn't take center stage, it's balanced with the story and the action. And it has a great ending. I recommend seeing this movie.
November 16, 2014
Good silent flick with your typical physical comedy. Maybe not as great as some of Keaton's better works but Lloyd deserves his spot alongside the early comedic greats.
½ July 9, 2010
I'm more of a Keaton silent film fan, although this film has a good heart I just didn't laugh as much as the film would have wanted me to. Some of the gags are just very dated and stale, which isn't particularly the films fault...it was made 83 years ago! Harry Lloyd's humor doesn't hold up as well today as Keaton or Chaplin for me, but it's still a classic story with a cute romance, and some silly/stupid physical bits. Also, there's a sailor monkey: always a good thing!
December 27, 2008
Winsome love story and another great choreographed film of his. The climbing of the tree scene always gets me all the time.
August 11, 2009
Harold Lloyd is usually overshadowed by Keaton and Chaplin, but not for any good reason that I know of.
July 27, 2009
This is still only my fourth Haroly Lloyd picture, but I have loved every single one of them. Each of them have their own hilarious moments along with originality and quite a bit of heart. The Kid Brother seems to have a lot more gags than the other Lloyd movies I've seen, but I read that that is the way he wanted the movie done. The first hour did get a little boring and repetitive, but the last 20 minutes was hilarious, thrilling, and uplifting. Any Lloyd or silent film fan should definitely check out this underrated film.
September 11, 2015
one of Lloyd's better pix though i prefer his 'daredevil pics' like 'safety last"
November 16, 2014
June 8, 2014
My catching up with the Third Genius, Harold Lloyd continues with this absolutely wonderful film. The youngest (and nerdiest) in a family filled with traditional macho men tries to prove his "manliness" and worth at the same time trying to win over a girl. Though "Safety Last!" may still be my favorite Harold Lloyd movie (so far), this one comes very close. The third act of this film is absolutely hysterical and at the same time genuinely suspenseful. Harold Lloyd should not have to stand in the shadows of Chaplin and Keaton. He is absolutely their equal.
September 3, 2013
While I've only ever seen one other Harold Lloyd film ("Safety Last"), this gem certainly can hold its own against the likes of Keaton's "The General", if not some of Chaplin's lesser works. What was probably most surprising (since the physical comedy was something I already knew he could do well), was that the antagonist of this film was perhaps one of the best I've ever seen in silent comedy.
July 16, 2013
one perfect movie in terms of timing (you can adjust your clock to its three-act-structure), imagination and and overall ingenuity. those were the days, my friends, when the top movies were just right. that - long drawn-out - finale ranks among the greatest ever made. despite being a comedy, it is full of nailbiting thrills. vintage heaven. forgive me for my english. it's onla a second language. four stars or 10/10!
March 30, 2013
Ver películas cercanas al comienzo del sonoro nos pone en aprietos siempre. La idea de que un cambio tecnológico siempre implica avances es discutible. En el caso del sonido, hasta se podría asegurar que su aparición en el cine fue un retroceso, o quizás un parate en el desarrollo del lenguaje (complejo) del cine mudo. Michel Chion dice que en realidad debería llamarse "cine hablado" al "cine sonoro", porque "...el cine desde su nacimiento fue sonoro" (desde el comienzo se utilizó la música para acompañar las proyecciones)". La película The Kid Brother es una de las tantas pruebas del desarrollo complejísimo al que se había arribado en el "cine mudo" para el año 1927. Una película con varias tramas que se entrelazan, cuya música nunca se vuelve monótona; la misma -apelando a las variaciones sobre un leit motiv- siempre está resaltando o marcando momentos específicos de la trama. Una película divertida pero no superficial, de la mano de un Harold Lloyd afiladísimo en su performance. Una joya para volver a ver una y otra vez.
January 12, 2013
The Kid Brother is the story about a proud family of lawmen, the Hickorys. Who's the most respected and most reliable men in Hickoryville, The Father, Sheriff Jim, and his two sons Leo and Olin, who's following in their father's footsteps. But every family has it's black sheep, and in this case it's the youngest son, Harold (Harold Lloyd) who's big klutz and unfit to play along with his masculine family. One day when he pretends to be a sheriff, some medicine people mistakes him for the sheriff, and Harold plays along and gives them permission to perform at the town square. Something that his father would never had allowed, and that causes great consequences.

Harold Lloyd is as always funny and inventive. With his trade mark glasses, he was what at that time (and also today) was considered a nerd. He's no Buster Keaton, but there's some pretty funny slapstick moments. Thumbs up.
July 28, 2012
This is my favorite Harold Lloyd film, and probably the funniest silent comedy I've seen.
February 17, 2012
The Kid Brother is one of Harold Lloyd's best efforts. It's certainly the most emotionally gratifying and most heart-warming of Lloyd's films that I've seen, but it's not the funniest. There were some great moments of comedy genius, but a good majority of the jokes feel outdated and flat. Despite this, the entire experience is still very enjoyable. It may not but a hilarious laughter-fest, and the writing is somewhat shoddy, but there are a lot of brilliant moments of physical comedy, and emotional connection, and it makes for a great experience.
January 3, 2012
Best silent film ever from the 1920's.
December 23, 2011
An enjoyable entertainment, The Kid Brother uses an expertly placed camera and flawless staging of scenes to create a fast-paced, inventive, and satisfying film. Lloyd's antics feel fresh throughout as he makes ample use of the variety of objects, animals, and people around him. Not as heartfelt or transcendent as Chaplin, nor as sublime as the always underplaying Keaton, Lloyd offers contemporary viewers a perfectly accessible avenue into the world of silent comedies.
July 26, 2011
½ February 14, 2011
The reductive might sneer it's just "Our Hospitality" with a few "Sherlock, Jr."-isms thrown in late on, as Harold solves the mystery of the missing dam funds. Yet that would be to overlook the film's exceptional grace and fluency: the middle act manages to make balletic the stomping and roughhousing of these womenless menfolk in their cramped cabin, and there's something indescribably lovely about the courtly and tentative romance Harold comes to conduct with the medicine show's resident beauty. If you've come for the stunts that were so prominent in later Lloyd films, they're here, too, albeit in a form that's less the precision science of a Keaton than a form of sport - for if, at this point, Buster was funnier and self-sufficient, Lloyd was heartier and more agile. There are bits involving tree-climbing, flag-chasing and rope-tying, that demand our hero being nimble enough to put hats on pigs, shawls on goats, workboots on a monkey; rigorous cardio-comedy, in preparation for a final scrap played not for straightahead laughs, but as an urgent matter of life and death... A genuinely swell entertainment, marked by the optimism of its age: every frame bears witness to the boundless possibilities of what it must have been to be young and American - even young, American and four-eyed - at the start of the century, to have such wide roads and big, rolling country to grow into.
½ December 5, 2010
my first harold lloyd. definately in the chaplin-keaton genre. most gags i've seen in a movie.