Twin Sisters Reviews

September 27, 2010
Tear jerker all the way through. Vivid images, superb acting, beautiful heart wrenching story. Based on a famous Dutch novel, this filmed version was one of the five "Best Foreign Film" nominees for 2004's Academy Award. The two actresses who portray the twin sisters from late teens to early middle age are quite good, and the sets, costumes and WWII sensibility are wonderful. Good movie!
½ July 7, 2008
This movie literally moved me to tears at the end, and I'm not generally a crier over movies. It does have a few holes in the plot, and the two actresses who play the sisters in their old age are frankly unconvincing as the older versions of the young women, particularly the one who played old Anna. But the rest of this movie is so beautifully done I could forgive it those few things. Nadja Uhl, in particular is fantastic. Both the actress and the character I found entirely believable and interesting. The grown up Lotte is less likeable, although Thekla Reuten does a fine job of portraying her, she is simply an irritating person! This movie kind of reminded me of Atonement in a way. Equally moving and also shows the effects of war on people's lives. If you like an epic story you can really get your teeth into, and don't miind reading subtitles, this one is highly recommended!
Harlequin68
½ August 18, 2011
In 1928, twin sisters Lotte(Julia Koopmans) and Anna(Sina Richardt) are orphaned and split up. Lotte, suffering from consumption, is sent to wealthy relatives in Holland to recover while Anna gets to stay and shovel cow manure. Even after Lotte gets better, no attempt is made to reunite the twins. By 1936, Anna(Nadja Uhl) and Lotte(Thekla Reuten) are old enough to start taking an interest in boys. Lotte is rather fond of David(Jeroen Spitzenberger) while Anna takes a liking to Bernd(Markus Von Lingen), a young Nazi, which so angers her uncle Heinrich(Ingo Naujoks) that he beats her severely enough for the pastor(Germain Wagner) to finally intercede on her behalf.

While taking place on familiar ground, "Twin Sisters" adds a new spin with its Dickensian tale that seeks to explore identity when it is at its most important.(I was a little confused at first because Dutch and German sound similar to my untrained ears which might have been the point.) Through ignorance, Anna pays lip service to the Nazi party line but essentially remains a kind person. Along these same lines, the movie validates Bill Hicks when he pointed out how patriotism is linked to no more than where we are born. So while our fates may come down to a matter of timing, looking back on events may cause us to see a pattern that was never there in the first place.
mvieaddict
April 8, 2009
Based on the Dutch bestseller novel written by Tessa de Loo, the Oscar nominated "De Tweeling" is a magnificent movie. The dramatic story of these twin sisters, forced to a separation in their childhood, and following parallel lives due to WW2, is very sad, but never boring. I felt very sorry for the suffered character of Anna, and in the end I was sad with this touching and sensitive movie. Ben Sombogaard did a great job in shooting this movie of a popular Dutch book. The confusions and drama between the two sisters are the most important storyline. The war is only background.The performance of the unknown cast is amazing and this movie is a must-see. My vote is 5 stars.
April 12, 2006
This movie made me cry from the first moments. It's powerful story set in the time of World War II is on that everyone should see. Even though, it's a foreign film and had Dutch and German subtitles, it did not matter to me. The acting was amazing and it's easy to see why this film was nominated for a Best Foreign Film Oscar. Ben Sombogaart did some wonderful direction and it's emotional and intense storyline is enough to please just about everyone.

A (9.3/10)
½ June 12, 2015
I don't care for stories in which one decent conversation would resolve the conflict for better or worse.
May 5, 2014
** This review may contain spoilers ***

After a long time writing a review, actually a short one. I thought I have watched almost all great heart wrenching drama about the people around the devastating destruction of WWII. But I guess I was wrong.''De Tweeling'' aka ''Twin Sisters'' is an absolute tear jerker. Story of two orphan twin sisters who were separated at childhood, one lived in Holland living a posh life and other had to live in Germany in a severe abusive atmosphere. WWII came, altered their lives in a most possible devastating way one can imagine. This is a story of love, heartbreak, tragedy and war in an epic proportion. As you can see its based on a worldwide best-seller, its almost impossible to portray and bring up the story in big screen by its level and proportion, they did a very fine job. And perhaps this is the best Dutch production I have seen so far.

Don't want to give any spoiler, so I shouldn't go any further I guess. But the actresses performed the twin sisters in different stages of life did excellent job. One of them will remind u the prime period of 'Audre Hepburn' and wouldn't that be extra something !

Story evolves from different point of view. It will make you asking the question again and again whether the normal people of Germany really knew what was really going on ? Why did they march under someone as crazy as Hitler ?? Did they really have any other choice ?? I will leave them out for the audience.

The choices we make shapes our life and defines who we really are . But under different circumstances, would we make the same kind choices ?? Is it really up to us or we are the victim of our surroundings ?
February 12, 2013
moved to anger and tears both. Well crafted, heartfelt. Was it a true story? I hope not because of separating young loving twins speaks of Nazie behavior.
November 13, 2012
viewed on 11/10/04 (Mon)

This is this year's Oscar nominee for Best Foreign Film.

It has all the trappings of what Oscar will like to see. An epic that spans over decades following the tumultuous relationship of two twin sisters separated by force when young, united by chance and again separated by war and different political standings. Meticulous in details and a well-acted drama.

Does it reach me? Not quite la.

Rating: B-
Expected Rating: B+
June 12, 2012
Great film! A a real commentary on how two people can share the same roots--- and hold completely different viewpoints. Great commentary on what war does to people--as well. This film has a lot to say about bigotry---intolerance---ignorance----deprivation---and hatred. Excellent viewing choice.
Harlequin68
½ August 18, 2011

February 15, 2011
Very moving. I love the Dutch accent.
December 4, 2010
If you like the Danielle Steele version of the historical novel, this may be for you. The acting here, by two European actresses foreign language film fans will recognize, is very good. But the material is pretty horrendous, filled with melodrama.
½ May 19, 2010
TWIN SISTERS

I liked the movie well enough. I found it to be moving. My husband thought it was more of a chick flick than he would have liked to see. Maybe. Drama centers on orphaned 6-year old twin sisters forcefully separated by feuding family members. The weaker child is moved out of Germany to Holland where she is well-cared for and adopted by her Dutch guardians. Years later after their lives have taken very different turns, the two young women briefly re-establish contact when one of them is engaged to be married. However, after the Nazis come to power and WWII breaks out, things get complicated, and for a time it seems as though the two sisters will most likely never get together again. That is, until one of them takes fate into her own hands and tracks down the other. The film features a very good cast; decent performances, especially the actors who play the two sisters as elderly people, in particular Anna. The story raises some very sticky issues and handles them sensitively and realistically
December 15, 2007
I didn't like it, because it wasn't well written, it was uninvolving, the relationship between the sisters was weird. :down:
½ March 20, 2006
A moving film about two twin sisters separated when young. One lives a life of privilege and the other pain. They both suffer trauma during WWII and have a falling out due to a misunderstanding.