River Queen Reviews

December 15, 2007
Here is an intriguing movie about a young woman caught between two different worlds in 1860s New Zealand. Young Sara learns the talent and skills of stitching and sewing open flesh from her father. Employed with the army that is set upon colonizing the lands belonging to the Maoris, young Sara and her family trudged along the coast of the river bends. She meets a young Maori boy, and the two grow up together and begin to share a love that is short-lived (when Tommy Boy dies of sickness). Her son is then taken away by his family, she searches for him along the river for years. Her search brings her deep into Maori country. Great cast- Samantha Morton, Cliff Curtis, Kiefer Sutherland, and Temuera Morrison. Worthy!
½ May 13, 2012
River Queen is a period drama filled with some striking imagery but which ultimately keeps viewer involvement at an unfathomable distance.
February 6, 2009
Well, this was another movie that was so dragged out that it became a chore to finish. I really liked it actually, the scenery was awesome, the cast was great, the story was good...but it was just way to long for the story it was telling. A little shorter would've been better and kept my attention...
½ October 25, 2006
One of the most poorly put together films I have EVER seen. It was boring, made no sense, and I think I fell asleep at one point during it but if I did...I missed nothing because I don't remember any gaps in storyline. AVOID this film! It is a real stinker!
½ April 19, 2013
Horrible, horrible. This was so bad I didn't bother to watch it all. Steven Rea and Kiefer Sutherland- what were you thinking???
½ March 31, 2013
While it boasts some entertaining set pieces, River Queen ultimately falls back on bad writing, overly melodramatic moments and subpar performances.
½ June 26, 2012
A period drama set during the New Zealand Wars. A dis-jointed story line with cinematography that does nothing to hold the viewer's interest and is at times confusing. Aspects of Titokowaru's campaign seem to be the inspiration but why bother when the historically accurate story would have been far more interesting? Some great battle scenes/scenery and pretty decent acting can not save this film from being way under it's potential. A wasted opportunity to showcase New Zealand's rich history to both New Zealander's and the world.
February 26, 2011
Not bad, but not great either.
February 4, 2011
This film may be guilty of being ernest ... and taking itself a little too seriously, but it is good viewing nonetheless. Beautiful New Zealand scenery helps as well.
February 4, 2011
6.5/10. The beautiful New Zealand location filming is a big plus. Fine score and excellent cinematography. Well acted. It is a little slow moving in spots. Good attention to period detail.