—— Transcendence Apr 18

Reefer Madness - The Movie Musical Reviews

Harlequin68
Harlequin68

April 28, 2005
[font=Century Gothic][color=blue]The latest version of "Reefer Madness" is a musical that is a remake/parody of the original 1930's anti-drug movie(which I've never seen even though I've seen clips from time to time. There must have been a clip in the 2000 documentary "Grass", even though I cannot remember for sure.). A mysterious stranger(Alan Cumming, in this role and many others) comes to lecture the kind parents one night in 1936 about the evils of the drug, marijuana.(Which here seems to be a combination of angel dust, crack and steroids.) He shows them an anachronistic film that starts out with a sweet innocent high school couple, James Harper(Christian Campbell) and Mary Lane(Kristen Bell). But there is evil lurking in the corners willing to seduce them to the dark side...[/color][/font]
[font=Century Gothic][color=#0000ff][/color][/font]
[font=Century Gothic][color=#0000ff]Surprisingly, "Reefer Madness" turned out to be a very enjoyable movie musical with catchy tunes and great dance routines. It is a rather enjoyable romp. [/color][/font]
[font=Century Gothic][color=#0000ff][/color][/font]
[font=Century Gothic][color=#0000ff]There is also a political edge to this movie in that it criticizes the fearmongering that goes along with the film within a film. It reminded me of the hapless drive to teach abstinence only sex education in high schools.[/color][/font]
Alec B

February 5, 2010
Its ludicrous in the best possible way. Great songs and great comedic performances.
Lovable M

November 17, 2008
This movie was fun and campy. Loved the songs and the acting was good too.
Andrew K.
September 9, 2012
I can't tell if I loved this because it was so absurd, or because it was so freakily accurate to the era. Brilliant! BTW, Kristen Bell is HOT!!!
August 7, 2012
Good old fun...especially if you actually smoke reefer...which I do not...so there's probably a few missed jokes in there. But great campy fun with good musical and dance numbers. Kristen Bell is a favorite and Christian Campbell stole the show. Don't know why I hadn't seen this before!
March 15, 2007
"reefer madness! reefer madness! turning our children into hooligans and whores!"

Ok, i haven't seen it yet, but my mom has, and she loved it!

"Eat the brownie, eat eat the brownie, eat the brownie, eat eat the browine!
sublime203
January 24, 2011
This movie was far better than its direct-to-Showtime status would have you believe. It's a musical adaptation of the original black-and-white cult classic that also serves as a social commentary on the way our government exploits the helpless masses... read more This movie was far better than its direct-to-Showtime status would have you believe. It's a musical adaptation of the original black-and-white cult classic that also serves as a social commentary on the way our government exploits the helpless masses. Did I mention it's hilarious and the tunes are infectious? I think Reefer Madness is worthy of a Rocky Horror-esque cult following.
October 23, 2006
I'm generally not a fan of musicals; occasionally there will be the one or two that I like. But this film is no exception, it is a general musical spoofing an old conservative propaganda film warning of the dangers of Marijuana. This movie is slightly fun and enjoyable, but for me the music was too general and the message came out too strong for me; I usually don't mind being hit over the head with common sense, but not in the political sense. The movie seems like a decent enough movie, but it's just not something I'd watch.

"Take a hit of God... if you can handle the high."
July 19, 2007
What a fun movie, tons of camp and carrying on the tradition of Little Shop and Rocky Horror. All of the cast members did a great job and some of the songs are actually quite catchy. I also briefly checked out the original 'serious' film and was amazed by all the elements they retained for this lavish spoof.
August 19, 2007
A great, tongue-in-cheek musical-romp that is light-hearted and should not be taken seriously at all!
Orion60
July 26, 2009
My Drummer's favorite musical.... and i must admit it's pretty badass. i always figured Jesus should have some Golden cowboy boots...
July 3, 2009
Ipinchu
February 26, 2009
So hilarious! Loved the songs and the dance sequences were fabulous! I will see Kristen Bell in a whole new light now! sHE ROCKS!
December 29, 2008
spectacular in every respect! every element and every second in this film was perfect! top notch acting and singing (Alan Cumming is incredible! and now i know why everyone thinks Kristin Bell is so hot--she is--and she can sing too!), choreography, costumes, cinematography-- WOW! an instant favorite and a MUST BUY!
markrowen
December 29, 2008
Fun movie, like most musicals though there are a few songs you will probably not like and can't wait to get over with but a lot of them are great. The movie is very sarcastic so pay attention.
dancingthroughlife
October 27, 2006
I LOVE this movie.
The acting is wonderful, the singing is wonderful, the dancing is wonderful.
Kristen Bell is great as Mary Lane.

I love all of the songs and am so glad that they have finally been released on CD along with the original LA production cast.
boberthavok
March 8, 2008
The one and only musical movie I have ever seen and ever want to see. It is a funny movie also. Plus Kristen Bell pulls off both cute and sexy very easily in this movie. Okus I think Kristen may have the best singing voice out of any actress I have heard sing. It is to bad she doesn't have a CD and that the soundtrack to this movie is extremely rare to find.
serenityfan95
January 29, 2008
This is the strangest, funniest musical I've ever seen. I love Kristen Bell and she is great in this movie.
January 13, 2008
A clever little film that takes the original propaganda film and turns it into a campy, hilarious musical.
December 31, 2007
Ahh, a musical about pot. Not exactly my proverbial cup of tea, but I must see anything with Alan Cumming in it. This movie was surprisingly awesome and I recommend it to anyone who likes cheesy musicals. And I guess pot.