Neverwas Reviews

½ June 21, 2014
A little too incoherent, with forced emotional moments.
June 4, 2014
I tried to watch this one, but despite the amazing cast it couldn't hold my attention.
½ April 6, 2014
Never was is much to straight forward to capture the imagination of today's critics. Without spades full of irony or dripping as self referential product placements, they fail to see the simple truths of love and caring this film deliverswithout resorting to melodrama.
In some ways the fact that they don't see this is a commentary on the dysfunction of our times. Please see this film and enjoy it's pleasures.
April 1, 2014
This movie, is one of the best movies I have ever seen!!! I don't know why people react to this movie otherwise! Who doesn't like it, should change your mind, who didn't see it, watch it!
½ February 18, 2014
Hmmm... enpä tiedä oliko tän elokuvan tarkoitus olla (ärsyttävän pinnallinen) psykologinen draama vaiko aikuisille tehty fantasiaelokuva...?? (Suom. Neverwas - Satumaa)
½ December 3, 2013
My Review: 7/10
Date: 12/3/2013
Neverwas is a fun movie. I liked the premise of the story - tying a man's search for his past and his father's mental illness with the fairy tale his father created. There are a ton of big name actors in this and they do a good job, especially Ian McKellan. It was touching, but at times a little over dramatic and not as magical as it could have been. I am surprised that it was a straight to DVD movie. It's definitely worth a watch.
½ November 20, 2013
While sometimes overtly literal in it's storytelling and imagery the incredibly whimsical and charming performances by it's cast make this film the definition of 'a underrated gem'
July 8, 2009
Thought-provoking, more than a fairytale.
October 19, 2013
The best part of the movie is Ian McKellen's performance. It's just brilliant, it almost makes you believe that Neverwas really exists -- everything else is just plain, unexciting and confused. The soundtrack is quite good at points but the writing is just fair and nothing special. In all yeah, it was ok to watch but nothing exceptional or that I'd like to see over and over again -- Might be worth the watch if you're looking for something quite peculiar.
½ August 18, 2013
snore,snore "zachary" for the most part 'cept that single strangely moving moment near the end, at gabriel's "castle".
got a low threshold for these romanticized/ tortured souls bullshit.
July 24, 2013
If you are not caught up and swept away by this amazingly acted and directed GEM, you are official dead inside.....
½ July 11, 2013
An interesting celebration of "Private purpose folk art" The central creation in this story is not unlike the Watts Towers in L.A., or Grabriel's throne in the Smithsonian. These creations are always driven by an internal voice. This film attempt to give some insite into the private thoughts of the artist/
April 4, 2013
great movie for the imagination
February 10, 2013
Slightly misleading cover and synopsis, but you can't go wrong with Ian McKellen and Philip Glass.
½ December 13, 2012
Het einde verpest heel de film :(
December 12, 2012
Despite all the bad reviews, I found this movie to be unbelievably charming. Ian McKellen is perfect in his role, and Aaron Eckhart is as likeable as ever. It's a great character study and full of charm, and I'm really glad I decided to give it a chance.
September 9, 2012
Very entertaining and underrated. Pulls you in and really makes you believe, with a great ending.
August 30, 2012
Had the plot to NEVERWAS not been so contrived and stuffed with melodramatic subplots and themes, this film might have worked. Ever-so-slowly discovering that an author of a famous children's fantasy stole the creation from a mental patient and allowing the late thief's son to unwittingly become the detective is story enough. That there was an actual place underlying the mental patient's fantasy, that events gives son some closure and subtle messages like "we all create our own kingdoms", etc., can be interesting and accepted with cleverness and deft touch.

Instead NEVERWAS pounds themes, circumstances and profundity into our brains until we become weary. Why not have made son a wash-out who came to work at the institution out of desperation? Instead of making the heroine a clandestine reporter, why not just a local lass whose obsession with the famous kid tale parallel's the mental patient; i.e., how we all live in fantasy worlds, though to different degrees. Why not just toss mom's character along with the characterization given to the other mental patients or to the institute's chief?

The all star cast is simply inexplicable and, with the exception of McKellum, unnecessary. In the end, NEVERWAS is enjoyable, though its dinner at a four-star restaurant when all you needed was a slice of pizza.
August 2, 2012
A mug filled with sparkles, sugar bombs, king's castle... a bit of "craziness" that we could all use...