Dreamland Reviews

½ December 29, 2010
Others may not enjoy this movie as much as I did because I felt a real connection to the character with MS (Multiple Sclerosis) because I also have MS. The dreams to escape the reality of the situation she lives in is TOO familiar!! Dreamland could just as easily be where I am (and it is)! Making the best of a bad situation and finding hope and learning to live with situations are all common elements of my life I saw on screen in this film. A personal connection is why I love this movie so much!
February 6, 2008
Liked this a lot. Very moving and the whole cast do a great job with this (even John Corbett who is normally the kiss of death in a film as far as I am concerned). It's a fairly small film in that not a lot happens, but it is beautiful to look at (who would have thought life in a caravan park could be picturesque!), and Agnes Bruckner and Kelli Garner so convincing that you can't help but care about their lives and what happens to them.
October 23, 2007
I have a hard time believing that the only two girls in a small trailer park are so hot, nice, and okay with living in the middle of nowhere. Not a terrible movie, but not amazing either.
September 9, 2008
I thought the plot was really boring and at times really cheesy (fast forward to the girl running to the bees, drawing a heart around herself in the sand, and then trying to get the bees to kill her (?) ) But I gave it 2 stars anyway, because it was so beautifully shot.
½ June 3, 2007
Dreamland is a teen coming-of-age film with a female perspective. Agnes Bruckner is Audrey, a recent high school graduate who's torn between attending one of the many colleges recruiting her, or remaining in the rundown, isolated trailer park to care for her severely depressed father (John Corbett) and her best friend, Calista (Kelli Garner), who's experiencing the early symptoms of Multiple Sclerosis. Nice support from Justin Long, with bit parts for Gina Gershon and Chris Mulkey. Not the best indie flick that I've seen, but certainly not the worst, either.
December 7, 2007
½ May 22, 2007
A flawed film, especially one like this that dares to dream, is ambitious and made with passion can often be as interesting, or more so, than a more traditionally 'good' one. Dreamland is beautifully photographed, the setting, which I've never seen used in a film before, is wonderfully detailed and the performances, for the most part, are very strong. It suffers from a screenplay that is, at times, amateurish and by-the-numbers but is, at other times, brave, insightful, of rarely-seen maturity.

Consider the scene, for example, where Agnes Bruckner and Justin Long meet just before he leaves to Las Vegas. What happens there, and more importantly what does not happen, is indicative of the level of maturity and ambition behind the movie. It is, I feel, the strongest scene in the film: for a while it seems to be heading in one direction but then, very consciously, heads in another, the only direction it could possibly take, all things considered.

Agnes Bruckner is very good in the central role, and only made my crush on her grow. Justin Long does not look like he can play a lick of basketball, but it is nice to see him in a different kind of role, he brings good natured sweetness to the character which is escencial, John Corbetti, as Bruckner's father, is great, and Gina Gershon is very good in a tiny role. Kelli Garner is perhaps the weakest of the bunch, but it is only noticeable in the most emotional sequences, and even then barely so. My crush on her remains undiminished.

The film's flaws begin to show when the screenplay begins to go on auto-pilot. There is a crisis moment (the kind of false crisis the film had, up until this point, very much avoided) and then the plot kicks in. The ending is rushed and even nonesensical. Even so, it manages to work on the most basic of levels because of the strength of the performances, photography, direction and score.

A flawed film, to be sure, but a work of passion. Extremely beautiful to look at, absolutely harmless to sit through and a very good debut from someone who it might be worth keeping an eye on.
May 5, 2010
What the heck? It took me this long to rate this movie, how horrible of me. This is rarely on Lifetime but when it is, I HAVE to watch it. The first time I saw this movie, I couldn't stop watching. Audrey was my favorite through the whole thing, we shared some common interests. :) Well, this will always be a favorite of mine, and it will always deserve 5 stars, I wish I could give it more. :\
½ January 27, 2010
I realllly liked it. The way it was shot, the simplicity, the scenic views. It was quaint and it was a good drama without the overly dramatic.
January 22, 2009
I just read a lot of reviews on this movie, with people insisting that hot teens living in a trailerpark is unrealistic. So only rich people produce hot people? tori spelling is soo hawt?......wtf no !!!!!!
This movie is rad..with dreamlike qualities like in 'The Virgin Suicides'. i thought the odd cancer treatments and the dads agoraphobia were interesting enough topics. The love story was common though = ' a guy is friends with a tomboy girl and likes her hott friend instead and then realizes he actually loves his tomboy girl buddy'. It's still sweet though, i thought.
December 19, 2008
I know the pretty girl in a trailer park is pretty unrealistic but I love this movie. Agnes is a wonderful dramatic actress and the love is very apparent.
December 18, 2007
This is an amazing movie, carried by the always watchable Agnes Bruckner. It really is just a cool flick to watch, and the actors earn their paychecks, because everyone (yeah, even Justin Long) plays their parts so well that you don't even think about seeing them in any other characters... great, great movie. Corbett NEEDS AN AWARD DAMMIT!! And I kind of fell in love with Kelli Garner's mouth towards the end. I just wanna kiss her!! It's weird, I know, because I couldn't give two shits about the rest of her body, but I don't give a fuck.
September 21, 2007
I was so bored with this movie and couldn't even stay awake long enough to finish watching it. I got a good nap out of it though!
August 23, 2007
Slow and whatnot, but that doesn't bother me. Good acting all around and interesting enough storyline. Not mindblowing but well done.
May 29, 2007
An amazingly honest film about love that does not play like a Lifetime original drama or a sleazy NC-17 flick. All the characters are strong and developed and the film remains focused without going down roads that most films would take. It's just beautiful to watch.
May 8, 2007
Dreamland is about a girl trapped in the world around her-- a trailer park called Dreamland. She takes it upon herself to tend to her alcoholic father, who is also trapped in his own way, and her best friend Calista, who is suffereing from MS. Then, a new neighbor moves in and changes everything.

The entire cast is great as far as acting goes, but Justin Long as a UNLV basketball player? No. Maybe Mac can beat PC one-on-one, but there's no way I picture him playing ANY type of ball, much less college ball-- especially when they actually show him awkwardly shooting around, successfully outing him as a non-player. I can't even see this kid playing NBA Live on his XBox 360. And it doesn't help that his character Mookie incessantly drops constant basketball metaphors, as if desperately trying to convince you he's a baller. Because all basketball players do is talk about basketball.

The story is character-heavy, but at times it's hard to discern which character the audience is supposed to follow. Though Audrey (Agnes Bruckner) is billed as the lead, the film often changes focus to another character, taking away from Audrey and the story. All the characters seem like they could be the protagonist of the story, which clutters the film story-wise. In retrospect, it seems that the real main character was Calista.

A decent film, nonetheless. Especially worth watching if you're a fan of Agnes Bruckner, Kelli Garner, or bikinis.
½ May 14, 2007
Weird movie as I found it not really to much about anything, typical storyline, moves slow - but weird that I found myself unable to stop watching it.
½ April 12, 2007
I really enjoyed this movie. I thought it was a very very good depiction of a small town life, and even small small small town life.
½ March 12, 2007
I really liked how this movie played out, but it was a little predictable. good movie to watch. Nik L.