All the King's Men Reviews

½ July 3, 2013
Okay before I begin, I just want to say you won't believe how weirdly hard it was to finally be able to watch this movie. For a while when I trying to find the movie on the internet or the library, I would just about always get the 2006 version as a response...which as an 11% on rotten tomatoes or something...yeah...that's just not right. But anyway, here we are with the second to last best picture winner to review and the last one to review from the 40's. Here is finally my review for All the King's Men.

Plot: The story begins with reporter Jack Burden who is assigned to write a story about Willie Stark: a man who taught himself law and become a lawyer while also attempting to go into politics. His efforts go horribly wrong at first due to how he's more honest and innocent compared to the corrupted politicians he's fighting against, but eventually he figures things out and eventually goes as far as becoming the governor of the state is loved by everybody. But things start to go wrong when people around begin to feel that he's becoming corrupted by the power he is given.

Okay now I understand why some people seem to think it doesn't hold out as much as it did in '49. Because let's be honest, the story about people being corrupted by power is becoming a more common and therefore becoming a bit more of a cliche then it was back then. But that doesn't necessarily stop it from being a good movie for what it was. The story was told very well, the acting was very well done, heck it was interesting to know that this movie was basically based off a real Louisiana governor from the mid 30's where apparently everything that happens in this movie pretty much happened back then. On a whole, it's a movie that goes into what happens when power really corrupts and it gives a very good idea at what it can really do to people. Plus this film also focuses on what happens to the people around Willie Stark when he become corrupted and reckless in some ways which is good. But I think what interests be the most from watching this movie again is not just how Broderick Crawford's performance gave us a man who completely lost his innocence throughout the film (although it is the main factor as to why he deserved to win Best Actor for it), but also how it was hinted that he was going to be corrupt. Maybe I"m just taking his performance a completely different way then how I should, but watching roughly the first half of the movie again, I realized that even when he was down on his luck, there seemed to be hints that he's not quite as good as you'd expect. That these moments showed how maybe he wasn't 100% on the focus of the people and possibly focused on things just to get the power and be loved and that made it easier for him to be corrupted. Again, I might've read too much into that, but if that's the case, then that's a little interesting that the character Willie Stark and what happens to him may not be quite as black and white as I remembered. Anything else to say, I didn't quite care much for Jack and Anne during the second half because of how they would still be loyal to Stark despite what happens that makes everyone unsure/hate him.

And that's my review for All The King's Men. If you don't like it because of some of the characters or how the moral is more of a cliche then it was before, that's understandable. But otherwise, it's a very well done movie with a good story, well done acting, a main character that was not only well acted, but maybe was not quite as black and white and you might think making him a little more intriguing. It's a very enjoyable film and considering its time at the very least, it's little wonder that it won best picture.

So that's every single best picture winner I have reviewed...except for one. What in the world could that possibly be? Well you are going to find out soon as you might have noticed that I'm not very far away from reaching 500 reviews. So stick around for more as I work my way all the way to my 499th review and I shall finish going through the final one to review as my 500th review. See you then!
June 20, 2013
This movie is good but not the kind of good that I would enjoy or that inspires great emotion after fade out. I wasn't even sure who I should be rooting for or liking. The pacing is all wrong as if every scene is cut short before the punchline. While this movie may have really played on the feelings toward politicians at the time, today the tone, acting, and writing cannot evoke the same emotions even though we live in a time where many of us feel the same mistrust and anger toward our leaders. The movie does a fine job in illustrating its points, themes, and morals, but there's no growth, it's just sad, depressing, bereft of any sense that things could get better and people will overcome their temptations. It doesn't shed a nice light on the end of the 40s, instead it leaves a bad taste in your mouth. But again, this movie ends abruptly and feels like a part 1. Maybe that's the biggest message, that it's up to us, the audience, to rectify the flaws in ourselves and leaders, but I don't know, definitely not a favorite of mine.
May 30, 2013
I loved the book, and this film does a good job at adapting it.
April 28, 2013
I remember the performance being very strong. A good, but dark movie, as I recall (saw it long ago).
March 31, 2013
Impressive, and retains well over time, for there shall always be corrupt politicians.
March 31, 2013
When I found out that Crawford won the Oscar for best actor, honestly, I was confused; I'm not saying his performance was bad, it's quite the opposite, it was a very good, powerful and demanding performance as Willie. But he wasn't in the film very much at all. Jack Burden was in the limelight more, and yes, I know it is his story told through his eyes but he failed to get the award and Crawford did, unlike the 2006 version where Penn was on screen much more then Law. I don't feel that the film was long enough to fully portray its themes of every action has its consequence and the corruptibility of men, however, this was made in 1949, so I won't criticize it for that. I did, however, get the transition from when he went from an honest man to an evil one, but he still held some of his innocence when corrupt, which is good. Even though it seems like I'm criticizing it, I did enjoy the film and if we're going to compare, I think it is superior in telling its story then the 2006 version. I still, however, love them both. It is a timeless film that has a lesson for all, whether or not you have an interest in politics.
March 29, 2013
Rarely can you see a film that stands the test of time as this does. A brilliant film noir directed by Robert Rossen ho also wrote the screenplay, adapted from the Pulitzer Prize winning novel of the same name. The film charts the rise and fall of a Southern politician whose corruption goes from nad to worse as he strives to hold on to power at any cost. The film is as relevant today as it ever was. Broderick Crawfod is brilliant as Governor Willie Stark and is well supported by a star ensemble cast. Won the Oscar for Best Film in 1949 and both Crawford and McCambridge picked up Best Actor and Best Supporting Actress respectively.
½ February 27, 2013
All the King's Men, the original, is a great movie that I would recommend for the classic lovers. Rightly celebrated as one of the best ever political thrillers to come out of Hollywood, its achievement is all the more remarkable given the background in Tinseltown of the Hollywood Blacklist threat - no wonder John Wayne reportedly returned the script to Rossen in disgust at this all too believable desecration of the American Dream.
November 24, 2012
This is a defining example of how literature and cinema had changed in post-war America. A brutal and cynical indictment of the system, this shows how a good man can be exploited and corrupted and the dangers that can lie in wait in a dishonest world where absolute power is a possibility. It's made by the strong material (the Pulitzer Prize-winning novel by Robert Penn Warren) and Broderick Crawford's Oscar-winning performance.
February 26, 2013
A decent, but unsatisfying, adaptation of the novel. Crawford is great as Willie Stark (so many million times better than Sean Penn), and Mercedes McCambridge is wonderful as well.
February 10, 2013
Um estudo de personagem destruido pelo poder e a ambição com uma atuação acima da perfeição de Broderick Crawford - a transformação aos poucos de Willie Stark é magnifica na pele deste talentoso ator.
½ January 21, 2013
Age has dulled some of its power, but "All the King's Men" still stands as an insightful look into the roots of political corruption. As Willie Stark, Broderick Crawford has the voice and the stature to the fit the role, and he delivers each line with as much gusto as one can hope for, but he never seems quite as evil as he should. This can lessen the film's strength during some of its darker moments, but not so much that we don't get the point. What helps the film overcome some of its pratfalls are its supporting performances and an entirely relevant message.
½ January 7, 2013
This interesting play on the old maxim about absolute power corrupting absolutely could've spent a wee bit more time actually looking at corruption itself instead of choosing to simply imply that it's there. We get to see characters capitulating their morals, but not to know why. As well there's enough of a faint taste of "member dat good ol' a-ris-to-crazy ... dey was sho' good to us!" to have one looking for something to cleanse the palate. Nonetheless riveting work ...
½ November 12, 2012
Considerably the greatest movie about politics ever made !!
October 29, 2012
Broderick Crawford is a fine actor, but this film leaves me wanting more. I have yet to see a truly remarkable adaptation of this book.
½ October 24, 2012
good political drama
½ September 5, 2010
A great example of how politics really works, through corruption and dishonesty. There's a fantastic cast in this film as well. This one is definitely worth a watch if you're interested in political films, or if you're just looking for a movie that makes you think.
½ August 23, 2012
Thursday, August 23, 2012

(1949) ALl The King's Men
POLITICAL DRAMA

Written, directed, and based from his own book of the same name by Robert Rossen centering on inspired politician Broderick Crawford as Willie Stark starting small and then rising to the top eventually forgetting his values. Has similar ring to the 1957 film "A Face In The Crowd"! I personally don't care about the film very much but do see it's relevence since it still goes on as of right now regarding American politics meaning that it's an important film to all politicians.
Winner of three Oscars out of 7 nominations including Best Picture and Best Actor for Crawford.

3 out of 4
July 31, 2012
Broderick Crawford's unforgettable turn as the corrupt and murderous politician Willie Stark is just one of the highlights of this highly entertaining insight into the ways that corruption is placed in politics and showing that crime really does pay, regardless as how successful and trustworthy one can be. Directed brilliantly by Robert Rossen with a noirish-like element, this film officially places Stark as one of cinema's most brutally corrupt characters, and was a much-deserved recipient of the Best Picture Oscar of 1949.