Critic Review - Hollywood Reporter

The movie seems more like a '50s science fiction film of extreme paranoia or an episode of "The Twilight Zone" that even at a swiftly paced 90 minutes feels padded.

June 11, 2008 | Comments (15)
Hollywood Reporter
Top Critic IconTop Critic

Comments

misterkyle1901

kyle T

Hey look, its spoilerman.

Jun 11 - 12:53 PM

luftarrama

Luftar Rama

Thanks for spoiling the movie, that's why we read critiques right?

Jun 11 - 01:27 PM

trumpetmon65

stephen sorensen

I can't believe this guy, I actually joined rottentomatoes so that I could comment on this. The whole point to watching an M.S. movie is finding out the point of the movie. I never could watch The Village because someone blabbed. Thanks a lot Kirk.

Jun 11 - 01:27 PM

RT-Ryan

RT-Ryan .

Fixed. Thanks for reporting it, whoever did.

Jun 11 - 01:41 PM

Rykuya

Ryan La Grou

Your mother is ashamed of you, you swine

Jun 11 - 04:09 PM

vaodsi

john irvine

wow..... so in a writers group at college i wrote a short story. This guy was critiquing it and his main complaint was that "Your style is down on the level of Edgar Allan Poe. You should try to raise it up to Stephen King."
and my professor's jaw dropped and he said, "Do you seriously think that edgar allan poe is BELOW stephen king! " then he turned to me and said, "Take that idiotic critique as a huge compliment. All horror writers TRY to sound like Poe but can't.... so they end up sounding like king."

why did i tell that story..... well because 50's science fiction films of extreme paranoia totally KICK @SS!!!!! my ticket is SOOOOO sold.
give me a 50's paranoia film over all the SAW garbage.

Jun 11 - 07:23 PM

vaodsi

john irvine

give me a 50's paranoia film over all the SAW garbage.

Jun 11 - 07:24 PM

vaodsi

john irvine

give me a 50's paranoia film over all the SAW garbage.

Jun 11 - 07:24 PM

vaodsi

john irvine

i posted twice..... woops.....
(shoots self..... with an unloaded gun... but hey.. the motion was there)

Jun 11 - 09:29 PM

DaFuNk44

Bruce Dennis

I agree. I would rather watch anything "Twilight Zone" than any of the crap horror movies that people shell big bucks to see nowadays. Which means, this movie is even more appealing to me, not that I needed a reason to see it. I would rather see something original and skillfully made, which is what MNS is known for, than a torture movie filled with blood and nudity!

Jun 11 - 11:04 PM

vaodsi

john irvine

wow.... i need to learn how to count.....

Jun 11 - 09:31 PM

TheFrenchConnection

First Last

I agree, what is 50's sci-fi bad? Invasion of the Body Snatchers is a classic. It's an excellent era to dip into with great possibility.

Jun 11 - 10:34 PM

Nonlethal2

John A

Actually, this movie is so bad it would be impossible to spoil it. (and I have seen it) Best one can do is to warn others to save their money.

Jun 12 - 10:00 AM

Delrondu

Del Goh

Dear reviewer,

I feel compelled to respond to the questions you posed in your review because I think they were unjustified.

I admit I have always been a fan of MNS's work but I haven't decided if I liked this movie at all as this could be the weakest of them all. But responding in its defence isn't from a fan's point of view but a movie-goer.

For those who haven't watched the movie may want to STOP READING NOW.

1) The science teacher "decided" that the toxins were from plants because, like he mentioned over and over, the first area of effect were in parks. in that time of crisis, anyone would try to put two and two together to find a way to survive. Conclusion, yes there were some form of evidence to his theory.

2)So what if the toxins were in the wind, wouldn't you run as well even when you don't really know where to, as long as you leave the affected areas? Obviously it worked as the 'heroes' (as you had called them) survived.

3) airless buildings? i have no idea what that is but i'm sure those weren't just lying around in the middle of nowhere - which was where they were thrown into.

4) pharmacies? again, middle of nowhere.

5) antidote to suicidal tendencies? this time i must question your competency in logical thinking. they didn't even know what the cause was and the movie never really established in concrete evidence, how then could anyone figure out the antidote, in less than 24hr no less?

6) the "old kook" was affected because, if you were paying attention at all, you would have heard / seen someone on the tv saying that the effect would peak before it subsided. (there was even a graph involved, how could you have missed it?)

personally i found the movie gripping and chilling and for the first time i was lost for words after a movie, and possibly in shock too; but still not sure if that's a good or bad thing.

Jun 12 - 10:59 AM