Unearthed Reviews

February 22, 2015
Good actors but story line and plot sucked air.
½ April 27, 2013
some super life form, but at the end human turns out smarter anyway.
½ December 14, 2012
I liked this low-budget horror/creature feature. It would have been more effective if the creature looked less like castoffs from the set of Aliens, but that is a small quibble. The acting was better than average, and the setting, in the desert with a bit of Native American culture, played right into my interests. The story is predictable, and the characters are stereotypical, but it played out well. Really liked the grit shown by the Sheriff, played by Emmanuelle Vaugier. It will cause me to seek out more of her stuff.
July 19, 2012
Incompetent film-making hampers an already hackneyed monster movie plot. When stealing your monster design and plot from better films it's baffling to see them committing the cardinal sin of just showing the monster and leaving nothing for your imagination to build on. The little jerky moments of humour hint at what could have been if they had either gone for all out campy fun or deadly serious tension. The sad thing is the plot and monster aren't all that bad and something better could have resulted with a modicum of flare.
May 6, 2012
I'm not sure what was going on between minutes 11 and 12 of this movie, but I do know that I cannot unsee it, as much as I'd like to.
April 19, 2012
storyline was okay. it would have been better without the over the top explosions and totally fake alien/monster. some of the acting was cheesy too. it really had the potential to be a good movie...
½ March 17, 2012
Another forgettable entry in the After Dark series, Unearthed echoes various better films and never manages to be even remotely interesting on its own.
½ April 1, 2012
This seemed like a long unrated sci-fi channel movie. I think it could have been way better.
½ February 1, 2012
It had promise but I think it should be remade with better directing. The only character work was with the sheriff. Believable but yet lacking somewhat. Everyone else I just didn't care about.

Another problem with this is I missed almost all the exciting parts because I couldn't see what the hell was going on. It was either a blinding light...not enough light...or the shot was so outa frame. So I wasn't to happy with this. Had potential though....
January 29, 2012
Only because I'm a Charley Murphy fan.
½ January 13, 2012
Nothing scary about this movie. All action here. Some thillor maybe. Was better then i thought to be honest.
October 3, 2011
Not a bad film as far as low budgeted direct to DVD horror movies go. Definitely not going to win any awards, but accomplishes some points on its direction and unconventional story path.

The monster is interesting. Not great, but it does what it sets out to. The acting is also mediocre, as is its script. The plot starts off very slow, but once it gets going, it is very fast paced and unrelenting. Where the movie succeeds is in its unconventionality. In any horror movie, there are moments when you know something is about to happen. This movie throws you off its trail, hitting you when your really not expecting it, giving the viewer a feeling of edginess and that any moment could be the moment.

Again, its definitely not an Oscar winner, but if you can get by the low budget and questionable plot, this is a pretty decent little monster movie.
October 17, 2009
Rubbish and completely ridiculous. With a creature that is a poor imitation of Alien, a rubbish story line and crap special effects, there is absolutely nothing good about this film. The concept is not even original. What a waste of an hour and a half.
December 15, 2011
December 8, 2011

May 2, 2008
B movie....as in BORING!
June 20, 2011
A pretty interesting alien film with some corny effects and a big "Alien" rip-off, but has a pretty interesting story with tons of blood and gore.
½ August 4, 2011
Spoiler about ending in this comment.

Overall I liked the movie for what it is - and had many good parts,

But the ending was weak.

Two girls driving off at the end was not very satisfying.

More info on the town - and what happened to the creature.

Would have liked to know more about sheriff instead of a bunch of loud flashbacks ref. her scandal.

Uneven volume - had to turn up the remote to hear a lot of the dialogue but every time something bad happened it would blare overly loud.

The cast made up for some of the weak points because they tried hard to make it interesting.

Also - the first exploding tanker wreck was unrealistic for how an accident would have been handled even in small town USA.
It was reason no one else could leave - hokey plot device.

But I enjoyed (and recommend) the movie because I like those kind of flicks.
May 10, 2011
A typical movie installment with little to offer but tasteless, repetitive violence. I still believe what really is missing from modern movies is character buildup, sure they tried with the Sheriff but the rest we're like typical killer flick characters, all are complete nobodies stuck in the middle of nowhere fleeing for their lives! The special effects weren't the greatest and the creatures were kind of dumb... Really nothing special with this one!