Bordertown

—— Unforgettable: Season 3

Bordertown Reviews

Keysha H

September 5, 2008
This is definately a social good film. Everyone should watch it to learn about what happens in and around Juarez. Very good performances, and startling imagery.
Fascade F

April 10, 2010
What an incredible story of a woman reporter who neglectfully takes on an investigative assignment that takes her on a dark journey that reminds her of her own past. See this...it definitely shows what happens when poor people are underpaid, overworked, with no labor or human rights.
Hellshocked
Hellshocked

August 17, 2009
Across the border from its peaceful and prosperous twin city of El Paso, Ciudad Juarez not only has the highest murder rate in Mexico but it has also been ground zero for up to 5,000 femicides over the last ten years. With local authorities refusing to investigate and covering up the murders as best as they can it has become an international symbol for the struggle for women's rights. Is there a good film to be made here? I am not sure if there is. There are easily dozens of terrible ones, however, and this is no exception.

This film is so incompetent and so confused as to what it wants to be that it very quickly becomes nigh unwatchable. Rather than the story of Juarez this is a movie about Jennifer Lopez's reporter, her troubles and how she heroically puts everything on the line to do the job local law enforcement is unwilling to do. Yes, ladies and gentlemen: the reason women have been and continue to be killed in Juarez is because J-Lo has not taken it upon herself to put a stop to it. You know, kind of like how you only live because Chuck Norris allows you to. Beyond that the film is littered with throwaway roles that only exist so celebrities such as Martin Sheen, Antonio Banderas and Juanes can go on record as having put theirnames behind the cause of bringing awareness to the plight of the women of Juarez. There are ridiculous action sequences, ridiculous suspense sequences, a ridiculous villain and an even more ridiculous conclusion. The movie's performances are bad, its screenplay shoddy and its direction uniformly terrible. This is an insult to the thousands of mothers, sisters and daughters who have lost their lives for the simple fact that they are women.

And yet...there are small details, ideas that the film raises sometimes by accident that hint as to the film that could have been. The Juarez presented is a den of degradation, a city constructed from the bottom up by the exploitation of women in order to facilitate the exploitation of women. Strip clubs litter the streets, prostitutes expose themselves to danger on every corner, factory workers risk their lives every day for pittance and all for the sake of an economy that is predicated on equal parts tourism (much of it of the sexual variety) and outsourced factories from the north. The film also argues, at one point, that in this day and age nationalities and geographical boundries are a thing of the past as international conflict and domestic issues do not concern the wealthy as they are a country unto themselves regardless of their origin. Needless to say the film neither explores these things nor even bothers bringing them up again. It does, however, imply that the production team must have had a very good advisor at some point even if they almost completely ignored his or her input.

Label this one under garbage with dellusions of grandeur simply because it is (kinda sorta but not really) is about a social issue. Garbage is garbage all around, ladies and gentlemen, and this is garbage.
Sarah P

June 30, 2009
I thought the story was great and needed to be told, however, I would have liked to see it focus more in-depth on how the news is bought and sold. I think that is the underlying problem - the citizens of the world don't know what's really going on.
iLeo
iLeo

May 11, 2007
A great movie by a fantastic director-Gregory Nava. Once again, he reflects ingenuity!
It's interesting to see that Jennifer Lopez had an interest in the plot of this film. It's good to see that the issues presented in this film are somewhat addressed. In a certain way, it should give the world an insight into the ill treatments of the effects of NAFTA. It's disheartening to see the contributing factors of it upon the women of the region-border.
Banderas, del Castillo, Sonia Braga, and Maya Zapata are indeed superb!
February 27, 2012
Really good story. I love those movies that talks about social issues in some parts of the world even though it seems like nobody does anything about it. Jennifer Lopez, believe it or not, did a decent job with this movie. Antonio Banderas was the one who did a weak job. I didn't know Sonia Braga knew how to speak Spanish so well.
June 8, 2010
I almost didn't watch this simply b/c Jennifer Lopez is in it...luckily the intro is so catching (in a really disturbing, dramatic sort of way) that I ignored this particular casting choice and went ahead with my viewing. The movie/plot didn't necessarily keep up with itself the entire time, but still, it's a pretty good film.
October 18, 2007
Whoa! What a story to be told!
Never had I seen Jennifer Lopez do such a performance!
After watching this, I see manufacturers a lot differently towards the making of our TV's and monitors. And I will be thinking more about the women of Juarez. Hopefully, the situation has be resolved by now.
ristrawn
September 3, 2009
great about the hardships faced by women in poor areas of the world, even tragedies... a fave Antonio Banderas & Jennifer Lopez were fantastic...
February 15, 2009
Excellent film, I never heard of it til it was advertised on tv. I thought it was going to be another cheesy action flick. It is not.
logged81
September 1, 2008
I am wondering why I did not hear anything about this movie in the theaters. It was in the theaters? The performances were outstanding and the scenery startling. This is where all those factories go that close down in my area. Not to mention my own company with a huge complex there. Wow! Is all I can say, this is a eye opener.
April 13, 2008
It started out promisingly but fell apart when the marquee names showed up. J-Lo overacts as usual and Martin Sheen is stuck playing a stereotypically tough newspaper editor. (Do editors still hang out at the printing press waiting for the first issue to come off???) Antonio Banderas fares better as the Mexican newspaper editor determined to publish the truth. The implied romantic history between his character and J-Lo's further muddies this movie, which is too bad because a better production would have provoked thought and inspired action.
March 26, 2008
I kind of hate this movie cus my favorite actors doesnt make it. This was actualy the first movie of the second series that i got for my collection. Not a bad buy for you either.
BanaticAKAHillhero
March 17, 2008
This was much better that I expected it to be. I mean Coming from Jennifer Lopez, well I dont expect Much, but this movie was interesting and worth watching. It has its moments of adrenaline, very nice.
angels260
March 6, 2008
just a nice movie to watch and get caught up to the events that have taken place on the other side of the border in El Paso...Interesting...
StaisilD
March 4, 2008
BORDERTOWN is more than a suspenseful film about a tragic reality that has been terrifying Juarez, Mexico for years. Chicago Sentinel editor George Morgan (Martin Sheen) convinces the reluctant reporter Lauren Adrian (Jennifer Lopez) to fly to Juarez, Mexico to cover a combustible story about the ongoing rapes and murders of women who work the factories along the border for little pay. Lauren would prefer becoming a foreign correspondent and extracts a promise that if she takes on this ugly assignment ('I don't speak Spanish and I don't know anything about Mexico'), Morgan will grant that request. When the beautiful blond Lauren arrives in Juarez she is shocked by the reality: a very young factory worker girl Eva (the fine young actress Maya Zapata) has managed to survive a rape and attempted murder, literally climbing out of her grave and escaping. Lauren and Eva bond and Lauren realizes that her story about the 5000 victims of this heinous serial killing may just rest with the information Eva holds: she can identify her assailants. With the aid of anxious newspaper owner Alfonso Diaz (Antonio Banderas) the three begin the dangerous struggle to unveil the truths about the cover-up of the deaths: the police and government corruption in Mexico are matched by similar deeds in the USA in order to protect the NAFTA arrangement which apparently holds the profit of the mega-factories of more importance then the mere lives of thousands of Mexican women. How the trio infiltrates the corruption (and the buried secret realities of Lauren's humble beginnings) provide the remainder of the film.
MarilynRocks111
April 29, 2007
Omg this one was really good. And based on true events. All those women being killed and abducted there in mexico!! JLO like always was great!
armybratgeo
February 10, 2008
This was really powerful. I've seen the area where this movie was based. It's very sad...but I'm not sure this movie is gonna raise enough awareness about the problems in Juarez. I truly hope it does...right now US Military personal is not even allowed to go to Juarez...what does that tell you? Lopez was soso but Banderas was great.
flixsterbum
February 4, 2008
A compelling story undermined by wooden acting and cliched dialogue. Besides "Out of Sight", I've never considered Jennifer Lopez a particularly talented actress, and she's in way over her head here where she's expected to carry the picture. Both her and Martin Sheen are painful to watch, their overacting combined with the weak writing making for half-baked tension between their characters. You also wonder how much of Lopez's diva-like behavior filtered into the production, considering the amount of unnecessary close-ups of her face during other characters' dialogue and the amount of make-up she wears even when going undercover into one of the Juarez factories. Thankfully, Antonio Banderas, in an understated performance, can at least make a little magic with the little he has to work with. Considering the strength of Gregory Nava's other work and the intense subject matter, I was surprised this one wasn't better. With a better script and a more talented cast, this could have been an Oscar-worthy flick. As it is, it's merely watchable, but if nothing else, it at least brings some awareness to the horrific situation in Juarez.