• PG-13, 1 hr. 42 min.

96% Silicon Valley: Season 1

Run Fatboy Run Reviews

Stuart B

January 23, 2008
Average comedy, nothing special, none offensive and kind of a waste of time.
Directors Cat
Directors Cat

October 1, 2011
All I can say is Its predictable and not Pegg's best film but its honestly quite funny
3niR
3niR

July 20, 2011
That Indian guy was truly funny.
Spencer S

December 13, 2008
Pegg, now a bit of a typecast, always wins me over with his average man of the street hilarity, and his down to earth lovable, puppy dog temperament. Not only was this film original and funny, but also a lesson in how much love can truly heal.
garyX
garyX

November 8, 2007
Commitment-phobe Dennis Doyle, who left his pregnant girlfriend at the altar enters a marathon in an attempt to prove that he has changed and win her back. Simon Pegg proves to be the latest comedy casualty to sacrifice his credibility to stick his snout in the Hollywood trough, and stars in yet another in a long line of interchangable British rom-coms. In fact it looked as if he was only cast because he was cheaper than Hugh Grant because his character and performance are nearly identical to that of Grant in About A Boy, and the script is just a rehash of the same tired old formula of Nick Hornby-style "Bridget Jones' Diary pour l'homme". It's just another "guy who refuses to grow up is threatened by handsome, rich new contender for his love's affections grows as a person while the newbie turns out to be a shit" story with some montages of weak slapstick, liberally soaked in bathos and all Schwimmer's direction brings to the table is American saccharine and some clod hopping visual metaphors. The soundtrack is the inevitable mix of old britpop for the "funny" bits and tracks taken off an "acoustic moods" compilation CD for the "serious" bits and the only real saving grace is Dylan Moran as the obligatory slobbish best friend. He supplies all of the sparse laughs but he's basically playing Bernard Black again which just made me wish I was watching Black Books instead of this predictable, sterilized sitcom.
Lady D

September 7, 2007
For me, this film was better second time around. At the time of it?s release it was inevitably compared to Simon Pegg?s other works, such as ?Shaun of the Dead? and ?Hot Fuzz?, this of course, still very comical and still showing Pegg?s unique humour, was slightly different themed, being a Romantic Comedy. Full of witty humour and underdog storyline.

Directed by David Schwimmer, this is full of witty humour and this is very much an underdog, non-sloppy Romantic comedy.
Richard C

June 24, 2010
actually a good movie B
Anthony L

June 8, 2010
I would disagree that Run Fatboy Run was formulaic, I actually found it fairly original, at least the good writing, great performances and lack of cliches made it feel that way. David Schwimmer a good director, who knew?
Red L

June 7, 2010
Pros - Fairly funny movie about a slacker finding a reason to quit slacking. Con - another formula movie that depends on men getting kicked in the balls, seniors swearing and bare bums to be funny.
Lewis C

October 17, 2008
Simon Pegg makes everything better. Even formulaic, slightly lowbrow movies like this one. I'll admit that I chuckled quite a few times while I was watching it, but it would have been only average without Simon's earnest antics and Dylan Moran's crassness.
TomBowler
TomBowler

August 22, 2009
Pretty good. Full review later.
Conner R

November 18, 2009
A funny story and characters. Simon Pegg goes from being a pathetic security guard to an unstoppable marathon runner, sort of. Its got a lot of heart, which was a relief. This movie had the potential to be so half-assed, but everyone really tried hard to make this a good and worth while movie.
FiLmCrAzY
FiLmCrAzY

January 1, 2008
Yes very good, this is fairly amusing in places then hilarious in other scenes really worth a watch!!
simon pegg wants to un a marathon so he can try and win back his ex gf who he left at the alter pregnant so hes doing this to prove he can change but the ending isnt as predictable as we may think with really funny consequences and scenes really worth a watch!!!
MANUGINO
MANUGINO

March 24, 2008
Wow this movie rocks and its really Funny with a tremendous message!!! U.K.-born Dennis Doyle is in love with Elizabeth Odell, both get intimate, and when Elizabeth gets pregnant, plan to get married. On the day of the marriage, Dennis gets cold feet at the 11th hour and flees. Five years later, Dennis regrets this decision and attempts to re-enter Elizabeth and his son's lives encouraged by his friends, Gordon, and Ghoshadi Das, a Londoner originally from India. He decides to impress her by participating in a marathon-run in London. Before he could even act further, he finds out that Elizabeth has an American boyfriend, Whit, who proposes to her - and she accepts. Watch what impact this has on a visibly overweight Dennis' decision to continue to participate in the marathon-run.
Alexander W

March 7, 2009
Aha, very cliche comedy and funny , some good characters and the actors fit. All well put together with a good backdrop and important English event . Made me laugh, made me cry, made me not want to quit and die...
Tim S

March 5, 2009
Considering the writing team behind this movie it was a huge disappointment. I have become a huge fan of Simon Pegg since discovering Spaced (possibly one of the best television shows I have ever seen) and have enjoyed both Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz. I also think that he is a good, charming actor (there is a great, sweet scene with Thandie Newton in this movie that even shows that), so it was easy to watch the movie. But it also fell flat a whole lot of times. The other writer was Micheal Ian Black which explains the uncomfortable humor which he is really good at , but he tries to dumb it down for a mass audience. At the end of the day, the movie has no set tone and it really throws it off. Hank Azaria has some good asshole moments and Dylan Moran has some funny lines. Watchable, but missed the mark.
cancercapricorn2002
cancercapricorn2002

December 12, 2008
I hate a lot of romantic comedies, I just want to say that right now, the movies like 27 Dresses and Fool's Gold where it's just the same predictable plot each time with different characters. When I first saw the teaser trailer for Run Fatboy Run, I couldn't stop laughing. Simon Pegg is seriously one of today's funniest actors and his comedies are always a blast to watch. So I finally got to see Run Fatboy Run and while the plot was a little weak, the jokes and script are very clever and the story is very heart warming, while it's predictable and sloppy in some area's. Like Hank Azaria's character, Whit, how he was this perfect boyfriend in the beginning, and then he just turns into a total jerk out of no where in the end, it just felt rushed and that the writers could've left him as a good guy, but instead turned into into a typical plot. But I have to say that I was impressed with Simon Pegg who made a despicable character very likable and held the story well.

Dennis is a man who has never finished anything in life, he's unfit, has a lousy job, smokes, drinks, and also left his pregnant fiancée at the alter. When he realizes what he's lost, he wants his son and ex fiancée, Libby, back, but she's already got a boyfriend, Whit. Whit runs marathon's for charities, so when Dennis finds this out, he wants to impress Libby, so he decides to run the marathon too. But it's going to take a lot of Rocky like working out in order to run this 26 mile ordeal.

Now I loved Run Fatboy Run, it has some incredibly funny scenes like Dennis's first running scene with those little blue speedo shorts, and him getting the rash from it and the way he handles it. Run Fatboy Run is a feel good movie that I'm sure will make you laugh and just have a good time as well. There are some minor flaws here and there though, like I said, it gets predictable and the characters are just let go and the ending is sped through a little bit. But I do recommend this movie if you get a chance, I think Simon Pegg and Dylan Moran were absolutely fun together in this movie and make it very enjoyable.
deano
deano

January 3, 2008
Hilarious! Sweet romantic comedy for both sexes that deftly balances the sweet with the gross-out and trades on Simon Pegg's affable appeal, which made Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz so much fun.
bbcfloridabound
bbcfloridabound

October 27, 2008
Was very dissapointd in this movie. Not as funny as I expected it to be. Being a Marathon runner I expected a lot more but it was dry.
Luke B

October 23, 2008
The funniest part of this movie is when an old woman calls somebody a "Cock". Old people swearing is always funny. As is people getting hit in the balls which is also seen here. It's hardly groundbreaking material and neither is the plot. The film even has to put the love rival into the "arsehole" category just to be safe. Newton is underdeveloped, why she'd even consider taking back a man that left her pregnant at the alter is simply summed up in one line "Nobody's perfect". That's fine then. The film is a fair addition to romantic comedies but an utter chore to anybody who's seen one before.