• PG-13, 1 hr. 53 min.

96% Silicon Valley: Season 1

You Don't Mess with the Zohan Reviews

Sophie B

October 3, 2012
Only recommended for Sandler fans.
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

June 23, 2012
Pointless, extremely awful film that proves that once again Adam Sandler is one of the worst "comedians" out there. This guy stopped being funny a long time ago, and he's way past his prime. Assembling a cast of mediocre actors except for John Torturro, Dennis Dugan directs a stupidity laced comedy that fails on every level. This film was bad and it did not have anything funny to entertain you. The only thing that this film proves is how bad Adam Sandler is at comedy. I personally think he should have quit after Big Daddy and The Wedding Singer. It's clear that he relies on nothing more but his act to try and make you laugh, which isn't. He made funny films in the past, but now his films are awful and tend to copy previous films, which make it uninteresting. Add to that a poorly written script with some offensive humor, and you have a film that is definitely not worth your time. This is one of those films that fail to deliver on the laughs, instead the use of comedy goes for offensive, and I have nothing against offensive, vulgar comedy if it's used in a clever way. However for You Don't Mess with the Zohan it's used to shock, and highlight the films utter lack of intelligent humor. Avoid if you want a smart comedy. You won't anything here to enjoy, this downright idiotic with a very poor cast. I don't see why Adam Sandler still makes films nowadays, he's horrible. This film along with Funny People is what made me lose interest in his work. I used to enjoy his silly humor, but not anymore. Watch Happy Gilmore instead, at least that one was good, harmless fun, this just sucks.
Lucas M

February 10, 2012
It's funny, but very dumb, poor and that might offense many members of the audience.
Alexander D

June 14, 2011
Adam Sandler is one funny guy. It's the plot he struggles with in his films. Early on in his career, he was cast into such terrible plots. More recently, he has become subject to casting himself into mostly pointless films. YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE ZOHAN clearly depicts these inconsistencies by telling a funny, but overly superficial and flawed, farce of a story of an Israeli man who fakes his own death in order to get to his dream: becoming a hairstylist. (?)

Since this is a comedy that tells of a person of a different nationality than American, one would immediately think that most of the jokes would come from prejudice and racism. But, no! This is just like any other Sandler comedy: filled with vulgar, raunchy humor.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE ZOHAN marks the fourth Adam Sandler/Dennis Dugan (lead actor/director) collaboration; succeeding HAPPY GILMORE, BIG DADDY, and I NOW PRONOUNCE YOU CHUCK & LARRY; and preceding GROWN UPS and JUST GO WITH IT. Having seen GROWN UPS and JUST GO WITH IT, it's notable that the two make a good team, but they would be even better if they just went separate ways.

Like most comedies, the acting should be the last thing to worry about with this film. However, there is clear and present dumbness. Nick Swardson, who, if you have seen JUST GO WITH IT, you know as the "Sheepy-R" guy, and if you have seen BUCKY LARSON, you know that that was his first starring role, portrays Michael. Plain and simple: he is the worst of all the not-so-great cast members. There's one acting skill to applaud for, though: Sandler's ability to take on his personal interpretation of an Israeli accent. It's funny, witty, and even produces a good double entendre or two.

Unless you are looking for a film that the Middle East could have mistakenly titled, "The Worst of Adam Sandler" (umm, oopsch?), don't go out searching for YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE ZOHAN. It was a waste of time. 'Nuff said.
Eric A

August 9, 2011
No. I'm not a fan of stupid comedy, especially when things are unrealistic.
murphmann93
murphmann93

June 23, 2011
Not Adam Sandler's best film but funny nonetheless. A must see!
DreamExtractor
DreamExtractor

June 21, 2011
I Don't Mess With the Zohan is one of the stupidest films ever made and I kinda hated it. Adam Sandler is a funny guy, but this is the kinda movie where you want to beat the crap out of him because hes so annoying, I mean for some people maybe 1,000 cock jokes is funny, not for me. I cannot explain what the plot is other than a horny terrorist ass kicker goes to America to become a hair stylist, its as dumb as it sounds. I didn't laugh at this movie because I hate disgusting movies that can't be described as anything other than stupid. Zohan was a bad movie, but it had some action scenes there that had me laughing, but it still was a sucky movie.
Anthony L

March 29, 2011
So, Adam Sandler has worked out he's not funny enough just being himself and has gone into character acting. Shame his character Zohan seems to be a poor mans version of an amalgamation of Sacha Baron Cohen's Borat and Bruno.

It's one thing being unfunny but it's another thing to be unfunny while trying to copy someone who is. I don't think Adam Sandler is racist though, I don't think he actually has the slightest idea that what he does is generally offencive, it's more ignorance than anything. I'm afraid only the ignorant and starved of entertainment could really enjoy this and that's me being as polite as I can about this rubbish and the people who like it.

Also, Dennis Dugan need to retire and John Turturro needs to stop this madness, he's to good for this crap!
Matt G

January 22, 2011
Adam Sandler plays a Mossad agent who fakes his death to become a hair stylist. This movie has so many gags and gross-out jokes, which makes it a put down. But Sandler's hilarious performance makes it an ok film.

Grade: B-
Coxxie M

June 10, 2009
KILL ME NOW.
Stuart B

August 12, 2010
For some sad reason I actually liked this movie and was so stupid even the ever annoying Sandler was amusing.
Richard C

July 23, 2010
B-
Leigh R

August 6, 2008
So on a real scale of 1 to 10, it gets about a three. Not good, but not so horribly bad either. Defenitely wouldn't watch again though.
deano
deano

January 3, 2008
Silly crude nonsense that is funny. I thought of Adam Sandler's comedy film is not bad. Zohan looks like it will be a daring and imaginative comedy but, beyond the basic design of the film the material is pretty much what you would expect from an Adam Sandler film in so much as it is crude, silly and aimed at a teenage market. It is silly and if you are in the mode it is quite fun but if you are looking for anything more than that then you'll be disappointed.
You can see plenty of entertaining cameos including Chris Rock, Kevin James, Mariah Carey and John McEnroe.
KJ P

January 11, 2010
Some parts of the film are very stupid, but in the end, I fell in love with how funny adam sandler made this movie!
bbcfloridabound
bbcfloridabound

October 6, 2009
Most parents would allow there kids to watch this movie without second thought, why because Adam Sadler is in it. Parents be warned its junk, garbage, crap. It had sexual scenes with older and fat women, thought I would vomit, but have to admit I did catch myself laughing a few times. ok more then a few times. Sadler had a few of his regular buddies in this one, I am really surprised this film wasn?t banned in Jewish States. But this is the typical movie that hits the streets here in America where the good films get lost. 2 stars no more
CloudStrife84
CloudStrife84

August 17, 2009
They say never judge a book by its cover, and if there's anything this movie proved it's that the same phrase applies to movies and their trailers. What I thought was going to be a crappy and unfunny Adam Sandler flick, actually turned out to be one of his better films. The quality of the jokes may be very uneven, but when it's funny, it's nothing short of comedy gold. As an added bonus, it also has the best and most inventive use of wires that I've seen since the Matrix movies. So I'm glad I gave it a chance, because this was way funnier than I had first imagined.
Bannan i

June 27, 2008
You know when you want to watch something completely and utterly mediocre? Well, that definitely fits into this category. I just needed to kill time and I did mercilessly...a few laughs here and there but nothing to the calibre of older Sandman flicks. YAY Funny People out tonight! Who's gonna see it? Perhaps I shall on the moooooooooonday. :P

Lates, lovelies..this a review that may or may not be completed...as I'm notorious for.
Phil H

June 11, 2008
Definatley Sandlers best film for along time. At first it comes across as kinda dull and too stupid, a spoof with the usual toilet and sex jokes, but it does grow on you slowly, as the story gets going you do become attached to Zohan and his bizaare ways haha its certainley very immature and childish, there's nothing adult here accept some sexual references, but it is very funny in places which makes you forgive the terrible plot and whole concept.

The best moments are denfinatley when he cuts his female clients hair, all salon scenes, when he screws his new American friends mum and his native friends around the neighbourhood. Some of the film is outright spoofery but others are 'American Pie' style filth and silly groin jokes, again, some good some embarassingly bad. Its hard to tell if I liked it or not really, its crap but good crap yet not as good as 'Naked Gun'.
cast is good..with loads of cameo's and usual sandler buddies,although turturro is really quite awful here.
the ending is poor and cliched which was a let down but the rest is good fun if rather silly.
familiar s

June 1, 2009
Wish I hadn't messed myself up with this one!!!