• R, 1 hr. 53 min.

79% You're the Worst: Season 1

Shake Hands with the Devil Reviews

Cynthia S

September 20, 2011
Another viewpoint of the horrific events of the Rwandan genocide. Slow moving, but really well done. Roy Dupuis is excellent as the Canadian General leading the mission, and not getting the resources that he needs to do the job. For anyone who has seen Hotel Rwanda, or read about the genocide and wants to know more, this fills in some of the gaps from the international side. I recommend watching this in connection with Sometimes in April, which tells the story from the government side with a Hutu army officer being the protagonist. All good films....all very disturbing, but real.
familiar s

February 17, 2011
The name itself is so attractive!!! I've a weak spot for "The Devil's Backbone", "The Devil Wears Prada", "The Devil's Advocate", etc. movies that have the word 'devil' in their title. Even though I may end up being disappointed by the movie, they're a 'must watch if available' for me and I just can't ignore them for long. Isn't it ironical that one of the world's most peaceful and innocent person likes movies that include such a word in it???!!!

A good but not-so-great movie about the unfortunate Rwandan Genocide. The movie shows how a General is nothing but a puppet whose strings are moved as per his Major's wishes. It displays the helplessness of a man to help others only because he hasn't received the necessary 'orders'. Though their army is equipped, its hands are tied by the "Shoot only when you're shot at" type of orders that leave them almost defenseless. Hats off (okay, just noticed that I'm not wearing even a single hat right now, so postponing the 'hats off' act until unmentioned time) to those who can keep their cool even under such stressful conditions. I wish I could borrow a bit of it.
May 21, 2013
This film, despite its limited character viewpoints (some of the characters I wanted to see more of), delivers a rather real perspective of the 1990s Rwandan civil war, with an A+ performance from Roy Dupuis, and above-average cinematography.
January 12, 2013
At the end of this movie, I mentally congratulated myself for not crying - and promptly burst into tears. Dammit, stop manipulating my emotions with your true stories.
October 13, 2012
Dallaire is a hero, regardless of his real-life actions in the face of his enemies. However, 'Shake Hands with the Devil' portrays an altruistic hero as a bold warrior looking for a glorious death - something I find hard to believe.
February 25, 2012
Brutal, heartbreaking account of Canadian General Romeo Dellaire's harrowing experiences during the Rwandan genocide. Sad, hard to watch, but something that should never be forgotten.
June 27, 2011
This is one of those movies that makes me feel proud of the Canadian film industry. This is a deep and troubling depiction of the corrupt nature of the bureaucracy that surrounds UN peacekeeping mission. It accurately depicts the effects that this sort of mission has on the people who get stuck in these warzones and half to ignore their own humanity and watch the most evil actions mankind is capable of.

Roy Dupuis is incredible as Major-General Dallaire and most cast members are capable and play their own parts well. My only reservation on recommending this movie to a friend would be that this is not an action packed war movie, this is a movie about the politics and psychological impacts of Genocide.

Great Movie, definitely worth a look.
5/5
March 23, 2011
Not as powerful or emotionally engaging as 'Hotel Rwanda, but still worth watching to get a more detailed perspective of what went wrong in Rwanda. The movie follows Canadian General Romà (C)o Dallaire, as he is sent to Rwanda to oversee the ceasefire there with a UN peacekeeping force. Lightly armed, undermanned, and answerable to incompetent bureaucrats 1000's of miles away, the UN forces are woefully inadequate to stop the slaughter around them.
January 10, 2011
Movie doesn't necessarily fail, but it certainly doesn't match the brilliance of the book!
October 28, 2010
A movie the world should see.
Blind Pariah
January 11, 2010
I think there is a lot of misunderstanding going around about what the intention of this film is. As a docudrama based on the autobiography of General Roméo Dallaire, and a companion to the 2005 documentary of the same title, it is meant to portray his emotional reaction to his experiences rather than to be focused on the details of Rwandan genocide.

As such, I feel it succeeds as his mounting frustrations are palpable to the viewer but do not stray into the territory of melodrama. It may be a bit hokey to watch the depictions of phantoms from his past having conversations with him in the psychiatrist's office for some, but I accept the technique as furthering the goal I stated in the interest of necessary brevity.

I am familiar with Roy Dupuis from the television series The Last Chapter, which starred Michael Ironside and was about biker gangs. Here I feel he does a good job of portraying the man, but is somewhat stiff at times and perhaps doesn't reach the emotional center of his subject.

Overall I'd say the film underscores how powerful the documentary is, with its success at portraying the same issues with depth and aplomb, and if a viewer were to choose one format over the other it would be better to watch the real man speak.
Luigi M.
August 6, 2009
I shake hands with the devil around about 7:00 am every morning .... My mum told me it will eventually make me go blind..... But me and him have a arrangement...
Nighthawk567
January 14, 2009
his docudrama covers similar territory and the same event as Hotel Rwanda, being the Rwandan genocide that took place in 1993. The movie focuses on Canadian Lieutenant-General Roméo Dallaire (briefly portrayed by Nick Nolte in Hotel Rwanda), sent to Kigali, Rwanada to command a U.N peacekeeping mission. The U.N was overseeing a tenuous cease-fire between two feuding Rwandan ethnic groups, the Hutu majority and the Tusti minority. Ultimately the situation ends up failing and breaking out into violence under his watch.

The movie documents Roméo Dallaire's frustration with the U.N and subsequent guilt by refusing to get involved with what was going on and failing to stop the Rwandan genocide that he was witnessing.

I never heard of the the lead actor, Roy Dupuis, before watching the movie. He's very good in the lead role.

The docudrama took the time to explain what was happening on screen point by point in great detail which helped minimize confusion and clarify a lot of things.