Five Favourite Films with Duncan Jones

The director on the films that influence him.

Duncan Jones

Duncan Jones has done the seemingly impossible -- tell a smart, engaging and entertaining sci-fi story on a modest budget. In Britain. As his debut feature film. No wonder everyone's talking about Moon and its tale of an astronaut (Sam Rockwell) manning a lunar base mining Helium-3. Scoring an impressive 90% on the Tomatometer - qualifying it for a Certified Fresh award we've still yet to send him, much to his chagrin -- critics have been going wild for its sheer ambition, not to mention Rockwell's outstanding lead performance and Jones' assured direction. "I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but it's something that Sam and I, obviously, wanted to make," he tells RT as we sit down to tap him for his Five Favourite Films. "It's the kind of science fiction film that doesn't get made much anymore, and something that we miss."

His choices clearly link to his work on Moon, and will, we discover, inform his next project, the similarly-sparsely-titled Mute. For Jones, the project, which was circulating before Moon came to be, was simply too ambitious for a first film. Which is odd when you consider the ambition of Moon. "It'll be like what Chris Nolan did, I hope. He did Memento and then he did the next one, Insomnia with Al Pacino, which was a step forward. I want to take a similar kind of step if I can." Read on to find out more...

Click on a thumbnail below.
Blade Runner
Blade Runner
Twelve Monkeys
Twelve Monkeys
M*A*S*H
M*A*S*H
Yojimbo
Yojimbo
Fight Club
Fight Club

Comments

Marjeez

Mar Jeez

Someone picked Fight Club? Awesome.

Great picks. Not your normal picks, maybe from aside Blade Runner.

Jul 20 - 08:09 AM

I_like_ike

Josephus McDonough

I want to see moon so bad and it's nowhere near where i live. this guy's pick want to make me see it more. could be my list on the right day.

Jul 20 - 08:31 AM

Auguman

Auguman .

fight club, one of my very favorites too, and if you feel bad , I_like_ike, that Moon is not showing near your home, try living in Mexico!!! I don't think it will be playing here ever!! stupid country,

Jul 21 - 09:32 AM

Cory C.

Cory Clark

They had a screening of it where I live, I really enjoyed it. The atmosphere was perfect

Jul 20 - 09:16 AM

Nine Oh Two

joe schmoe

That's weird, I figured he would have picked one of his dad's movies, c'mon, where's the love for 'The Man Who Fell To Earth' or even 'Labrynth'? That would be cool if David Bowie made a geust appearance in one of his son's films.

Jul 20 - 09:18 AM

TehAntiChuckNorris

Joey Brito

I'm looking all over the place for ANY signs of Moon! There's no theaters playing it close to where I live, I can't find anything on Bitorrent....it really sucks. I LOVE Sam Rockwell, especially his work in Frost/Nixon and Choke, and I think it's about time he had his very own star vehicle like Moon. Very good choices. I'm particularly proud of 12 Monkeys and Fight Club! Well chosen, sir!

Jul 20 - 09:18 AM

planetawesome

Seth Green

I had to drive pretty far to see Moon. It was totally worth it. I'm definitely looking forward to Mute.

Jul 20 - 09:34 AM

inactive user

Jared King

Nice list (except Blade Runner). Moon looks awesome.

Jul 20 - 10:11 AM

dj Mark

Mark Marquis

I thought I could hold out seeing Moon until DVD... I may have to take a road trip now.

Jul 20 - 10:28 AM

UmbrellaLandFood

Keegan O'Brien

prolly my favorite list of this segment

glad to see fight club and twelve monkeys

ya blade runner is a typical pick but he gives good reasoning behind it so i hope i see some great movies from this guy in the future...

Jul 20 - 10:58 AM

marvelza

Benji Engelbrecht

FINALLY, 12 monkeys :)

Jul 20 - 11:57 AM

spitting into the wind

ciaran kelly

Good List. 3 movies I love in Blade Runner, 12 Monkeys and Fight Club.
One movie that hasn't dated quite so well in M*A*S*H.
And another I have never seen.
I am looking forward to Moon tho.
I wonder is it necessary to see in the cinema?

Jul 20 - 03:21 PM

Almost.Famous

adam ramberg

Jeez about time someone picked fight club. Easily in my top 5.

Jul 20 - 03:23 PM

BlueLobster

Aaron Dean

oh my gaaaa...

yes... yes... Yes. YES. and YES!

I'll admit I have yet to see Yojimbo, but if this list is any indication of its quality, then its going to go straight [near] to the top of my netflix Queue. I would highly agree with what he said about 12 Monkeys, it is my favorite movie with Brad Pitt in it (tied with Fight Club, though Brad give's his best performance in 12 Monkeys), and it is my favorite film with Bruce Willis in it (tied only with Pulp Fiction).

Now, i absolutely cant wait to see Moon on wednesday. Luckily its playing at a big theater WITH Harry Potter a/t HBP. So excited.

And I don't think he likes it much when people mention his father, though I do think its quite funny that Bowie's breakthrough was the song "Space Oddity" in 1969, and 40 years later his son has his breakthrough film, "Moon".

Jul 20 - 03:28 PM

tomwaitsjrHAPPYICONOCLAST

Greg Guro

GST,

Yojimbo was phenomenol. If you rent it, you should get the sequel, Sanjuro, also a great film in its own right.

Jul 20 - 04:06 PM

BlueLobster

Aaron Dean

I already had it in there with Yojimbo, and I am very excited for them both!

And what the hell is with all the hate for Fight Club? Its a beautiful film. And the ending, I mean the very end when they hold hands and the banks go boom, is one of my absolute favorite ending shots. AND then with 'Where is My Mind?' to accentuate it? Absolutely orgasmic. As a music and film nerd, that combo was a [wet] dream come true.

Jul 21 - 04:04 AM

tomwaitsjrHAPPYICONOCLAST

Greg Guro

GST,

Jul 20 - 04:06 PM

BlueLobster

Aaron Dean

I already had it in there with Yojimbo, and I am very excited for them both!

Jul 21 - 04:04 AM

steve s.

steve smith

fight club? no movie ever turned to crap half way thru worse than fight club.
first half was awesome. what a disappointment.

Jul 20 - 04:18 PM

thedownstar

ryan brown

best list thus far, the man likes his noir

Jul 20 - 04:58 PM

CalmerThenYou22

Justin Schmidle

12 Monkeys and Fight Club are the two most overrated movies out there. Bladerunner was good, but definitely shouldn't be in the top 5.

Jul 20 - 05:03 PM

julian s.

random male

I hate how people have to apologize about liking Fight Club. It's a good movie.

Jul 20 - 07:35 PM

Josh G.

imgonnaget STABBED

Seeing a double feature of Moon and Potter with my dad tomorrow, saw Hurt Locker with him yesterday, it's gonna be a good week.

Great list as well. Love the three si-fi picks :)

Jul 20 - 09:36 PM

spiraleye

Kevin Baytos

Fight Club is in my top five for sure. It's fantastic, screw the haters.

Jul 20 - 10:23 PM

Johnny Depp's Best Movies

Picture gallery of movie bears

Summer Movies