Moon

Moon Reviews

June 22, 2014
100 mins. of pure awesomeness :o
June 20, 2014
Gezien na Oblivion, maakt het minder cool
June 20, 2014
Sci-fi at its purest.
Vincent
November 6, 2013
Duncan Jones, the director of Source Code and the upcoming Warcraft, is one of the more promising upcoming directors. And it shows a lot in Moon, a prime example that a sci fi film can be compelling without any form of destruction or mayhem going on. Most sci fi films would include aliens, or explosions or anything to show off the technical prowess of today's technology. However, Moon doesn't rely on any of that and just shows off how a simple story can be elevate off of pure acting talent. Moon is, in short, a contemporary masterpiece. Duncan Jones can probably never measure up to this film, due to how nearly perfect it is, and that's not to fault Jones, but to praise this movie.

In the future, Earth suffers from an energy crisis, bringing the world on it's knees. However, a new power source, Helium-3 which can be found on the dark side of the moon, can provide the world with enough power to sustain itself. To harvest this energy, Lunar Industries, the company behind the harvesting project, sends one lone astronaut, Sam Bell (played by Sam Rockwell), to monitor the system. Soon, he finds a double of himself, located in a crashed rover. Afraid and confused, both Sam Bells attempt to find the truth. The plot is simple, and the film basks in it's simplicity, which makes the film all the more compelling and interesting. Rather than throwing in aliens or some stupid twist, the film just revolves around it's simple premise.

Sam Rockwell (Iron Man 2, Seven Psychopaths) is the base of this movie. He makes his character more likable, and due to his situation, makes the character much more tragic. In the hands of a lesser actor, the character could've been easily written off as unlikable or boring, but Rockwell gives his all in this performance. Kevin Spacey (House of Cards, the Usual Suspects) comes in as the voice actor for GERTY, a Lunar Industries robot who's assigned to help keep Sam safe and secure. I can't say that Spacey was amazing, mainly cause his voice was one-note through the film, but the character itself was very likable.

Clint Mansell's score sets up the atmosphere of this film, giving it a quiet ambiance and dream-like feel. The set design gives the film a low budget feel, but it adds to the charm of the film. Duncan Jones is able to set up the film's universe and keeps it fresh and inventive. Of course, some may complain that the film is more reminiscent of Ridley Scott's Alien, but I find that to be what makes the film even much better. It harkens back to the 70s style of science fiction, and that's a high praise indeed.

The film's small scope adds to the film. Again, this is not a technical marvel, but much more of a psychological thriller. The character of Sam Bell is very lonely and isolated from the world. He's unsure whether the double of himself is real or a figment of his imagination, or at least, it seems that way. Cinematographer Gary Shaw is able to capture the loneliness of the moon, and adds much more to the film than before. It puts a relatable human feel to a genre which seems to become more alienated with each entry.

Some minor negatives would include some of the sound and editing, nothing that's a deal breaker, but it feels a little off. Some scenes are faded out and faded in, making you feel as if you're watching a short film, rather than a feature length movie. Some of the voice editing is off as well. Some scenes feel like they happened in two different takes, rather than being seamless. Of course, I can't fully fault the film on that because the budget restraints do kind of give it a pass. However, again, it's not a technical masterpiece, but rather a story-driven film.

Overall, Moon is what a lot of films should strive to be: sweet and short. Nothing more, nothing less. This is a one-man show, giving Sam Rockwell enough time to ham it up as two characters. The solid script is enhanced by Duncan Jones' clear direction and makes the film all the more worthwhile. It captures the silence and isolation of the moon, and it has a human feel to it's story. The twists and turns this film takes are outstanding and the emotional pull is there. To compare this to Source Code is like comparing food to water: Can't we just enjoy both?
June 19, 2014
Kevin Spacey as a robot.
June 18, 2014
Starts slow, but soon reels you in. Acting from Sam Rockwell is superb. Loved the interaction from Kevin Spacey as Gerty the computer. Not usually a lover of sci-fi but I enjoyed this.
June 11, 2014
Likable, incredibly acted.
October 18, 2012
Over hyped, many discrepancies, disappointed and not so entertained
May 22, 2014
Never before have I seen Sam Rockwell so believable, so emotional, and so wonderfully cast. His charm and ultimately heartbreak make this film stand above many others with a similar idea
Mike N.
June 9, 2014
a good sci fi movie and a awesome performance.
May 18, 2014
A lot of people don't recognize what mere weeks of isolation can do to a man. Moon does a damn good job of explaining it.

I wouldn't be surprised if 50 years from now, people were to describe it as one of the best science-fiction films ever made. Shoot, I'd say that now. This film has some of the best plot twists I have ever seen in my life, and I mean they downright put M. Night Shyamalan to shame. That's what makes this film amazing. That and the special effects. Never have I ever wanted to go to the Moon more than after watching this film.
May 18, 2014
Awesome movie and awesome performance by Sam Rockwell. Only reason I didn't give it five stars was because it was a bit predictable and was a bit slow at times. But a great movie altogether.
May 18, 2014
I think I wanted this movie to be something it was not. If you take it for what it is, it is entertaining. Brilliant? No. Good Story? Kinda. Original? Not really.

Towards the end I formed an idea of what I thought was going to happen. I was wanting it to turn out to be something other than what the movie suggests, and it does turn out to be what it suggests. This made me feel not satisfied at all. The story was very linear and at a few moments you kinda doubt what you are seeing which led me to believe that its not going to turn out how you think it will. But it does.

I was thoroughly disappointed in this movie. If you take it for what it is, it is entertaining. But it could have ended way better if it turned out the way I thought it was going to.
May 15, 2014
sam rockwell managed to pull of the whole movie on his performance ,, i think he is a very underrated actor
Michael H.
January 19, 2013
A brilliantly unglamorous science fiction film with tremendous performances by Sam Rockwell. And a heck of a debut feature from Duncan Jones - this'll be hard to top.
tigero88
May 7, 2014
Top 10 Sci~Fi Movie of All Time!
April 28, 2014
OK, everyone, I finally caught up. Moon is awesome.
April 26, 2014
Gravity meet Oblivion.
En tykkää scifistä, enkä perusta trillereistä, mutta tämä olikin yllättävän intensiivinen ja mukaansatempaava. Alku tuntui aika tuubalta, laimealta Gravityltä, epäuskottavalta. Mutta sitten kun rupesi ymmärtämään mistä on kysymys, silmukka alkoi kiristyä ja jännitys tiivistyä. Ahdistava, mutta yllättävän hyvä leffa.
April 22, 2014
An intelligent Sci-Fi.
Jason R

February 10, 2014
Simple, tense, and wonderful. Sam Rockwell is kind of the man. So is Kevin Spacey's voice.