Moon

87% The Strain: Season 1
79% You're the Worst: Season 1

Moon Reviews

July 15, 2014
I'm going to go out on a limb here, but this might be the best modern (meaning 2000+) Sci-Fi film I've seen. It offers great atmosphere, weird sense of suspense and a fascinatingly great performance by Sam Rockwell! I would love to tell you more about why this movie needs all of oyur love but that would spoil it!
Charles D. Borg
July 11, 2014
A creative and mysteriously dark thriller that pays homage to classic 70's sci-fi flicks. Doesn't sound like your type of film? Think again. "Moon" is a diamond in the rough. Rockwell gives a tour de force performance.
July 8, 2014
Lightweight criticism of modern business packed into a atmospheric and claustrophobic film with a pretty good performance from Sam Rockwell. As an indicator of potential it's not not good and shows that Jones has a handle on storytelling in spite of the script here only being so-so. Clint Mansell's music adds to the general goodness of the film, while the visuals don't offer anything new or worthy of note. I can't say it's recommended, but it's not exactly a barn burner.
Frank
July 4, 2014
Duncan Jones is a budding director, can't wait to see more from him. Anyways, this review is going to be a bit longer than usual since I feel like writing a legit review.

First off, the music. I don't know why, but the music was pretty damn good. The reason why I am unsure why I like it is because its mainly the same tune used over and over, but I think it's extremely fitting since the movie is about *SPOILER ALERTS HAS BEEN ACTIVATED, DON'T READ ON IF YOU WANT TO WATCH THE MOVIE AND HAVEN'T ALREADY!* clones and the repeating cycle of them kind of fits well with the tune.

The cinematography is good. Nothing special, nothing extreme, but nothing bad either. It's just extremely basic and I haven't seen any sort of style found in Jones' directing either, but that's party because he is a new director (and a promising one). You could definitely tell the limited budget restraints that were to be had on the special effects department. It wasn't terrible, but the rovers and machinery outside the station looked fake. But, this isn't a movie that's about special effects. It's obviously about the story, and the performance.

Sam Rockwell is an underrated actor. He isn't the best, but he is definitely underrated and deserves more than what he gets. His performance in this particular film was good. It was what I expected from him and at times, he made me feel sad (but that was mostly due to the plot). He did an exceptional job. Much better than fucking Sandra Bullock in Gravity I can tell you that much.

Now, onto the plot. It's clones. Yup. That's what it is. Now, you might be thinking, "Fucking cliche bullshit." But, sadly, it's pretty original. So, from the top, the film about a resource station on the moon that was built to retrieve Helium 3 from the Sun (Cause rays and shit hits closest on the moon? I don't know, maybe I missed why because of the loud fireworks, which served as a loud distraction to my movie watching, but that seems like it could be done on Earth.) Anyways, a man named Sam Bell has a 3-year contract for a company called Lunatech or some shit.

He only has about two weeks left on the station, and like a reasonably sane human being, loses a bit of his sanity due to him being alone for so long (But, that won't affect you guys, right? Cause you've been alone all your lives! Hehe...just like me... ); ). And then he begins to see shit (that never comes in to play ever later on in the film, yay plot contrivance!) which causes him to crash his rover on one of his routine runs to collect H3.

Now, Gerty (Hal wannabe) wakes up another clone of Sam Bell. This Sam Bell wants to help and shit, but he can't. By the way, he sees Gerty fucking around with the corporate guys who sent him there.

You know what...? I'm too lazy right now, you guys can see the movie for yourselves, I don't feel like writing the rest of the story up. I'll just summarize.

Basically, it's about clones of a guy who have a 3-year life span and die, which in turns, activates another clone. They maintain the steady supply of H3 to Earth. Now, the moral is that the corporation is evil for doing this, but I think that they were being smart and resourceful. Also, they won't ruin any family's lives by sending different people up to the moon for 3 years. But, still, it is kinda sad to see a clone that wants to see his wife just to find out he is a clone and he is going to die soon. The end is a happy ending, which I guess, Duncan Jones likes. I still fucking hate the Source Code ending (Not because it was illogical, no quite the contrary, I just thought it would have been perfect to end it at the freeze frame and just not make it a happy ending. Shit. But, that's my personal opinion). This is a good film that I will probably never see again and will forget that I've ever watched it in a couple days.

P.S. It was much better than most recent Sci-fi films.

P.P.S Kevin Spacey was awesome as Gerty

7/10
Jed
June 29, 2014
It's not particularly eventful or original, and it's somewhat unfocused, but Moon is a compelling, subtle, and interesting sci-fi thriller with assured direction from Duncan Jones and a fantastic performances from Sam Rockwell and Kevin Spacey, particularly the latter, who is extremely convincing and creepy as GERTY.
June 26, 2014
An esoteric masterpiece of mix-n-match influences.
Reign in Treet
June 24, 2014
*Official better than The Mummy Returns seal*
It's a shame that smart sci-fi doesn't get made more often, but what do you expect when all people want from their movies are booms and pews?
June 22, 2014
100 mins. of pure awesomeness :o
June 20, 2014
Gezien na Oblivion, maakt het minder cool
June 20, 2014
Sci-fi at its purest.
Vincent
November 6, 2013
Duncan Jones, the director of Source Code and the upcoming Warcraft, is one of the more promising upcoming directors. And it shows a lot in Moon, a prime example that a sci fi film can be compelling without any form of destruction or mayhem going on. Most sci fi films would include aliens, or explosions or anything to show off the technical prowess of today's technology. However, Moon doesn't rely on any of that and just shows off how a simple story can be elevate off of pure acting talent. Moon is, in short, a contemporary masterpiece. Duncan Jones can probably never measure up to this film, due to how nearly perfect it is, and that's not to fault Jones, but to praise this movie.

In the future, Earth suffers from an energy crisis, bringing the world on it's knees. However, a new power source, Helium-3 which can be found on the dark side of the moon, can provide the world with enough power to sustain itself. To harvest this energy, Lunar Industries, the company behind the harvesting project, sends one lone astronaut, Sam Bell (played by Sam Rockwell), to monitor the system. Soon, he finds a double of himself, located in a crashed rover. Afraid and confused, both Sam Bells attempt to find the truth. The plot is simple, and the film basks in it's simplicity, which makes the film all the more compelling and interesting. Rather than throwing in aliens or some stupid twist, the film just revolves around it's simple premise.

Sam Rockwell (Iron Man 2, Seven Psychopaths) is the base of this movie. He makes his character more likable, and due to his situation, makes the character much more tragic. In the hands of a lesser actor, the character could've been easily written off as unlikable or boring, but Rockwell gives his all in this performance. Kevin Spacey (House of Cards, the Usual Suspects) comes in as the voice actor for GERTY, a Lunar Industries robot who's assigned to help keep Sam safe and secure. I can't say that Spacey was amazing, mainly cause his voice was one-note through the film, but the character itself was very likable.

Clint Mansell's score sets up the atmosphere of this film, giving it a quiet ambiance and dream-like feel. The set design gives the film a low budget feel, but it adds to the charm of the film. Duncan Jones is able to set up the film's universe and keeps it fresh and inventive. Of course, some may complain that the film is more reminiscent of Ridley Scott's Alien, but I find that to be what makes the film even much better. It harkens back to the 70s style of science fiction, and that's a high praise indeed.

The film's small scope adds to the film. Again, this is not a technical marvel, but much more of a psychological thriller. The character of Sam Bell is very lonely and isolated from the world. He's unsure whether the double of himself is real or a figment of his imagination, or at least, it seems that way. Cinematographer Gary Shaw is able to capture the loneliness of the moon, and adds much more to the film than before. It puts a relatable human feel to a genre which seems to become more alienated with each entry.

Some minor negatives would include some of the sound and editing, nothing that's a deal breaker, but it feels a little off. Some scenes are faded out and faded in, making you feel as if you're watching a short film, rather than a feature length movie. Some of the voice editing is off as well. Some scenes feel like they happened in two different takes, rather than being seamless. Of course, I can't fully fault the film on that because the budget restraints do kind of give it a pass. However, again, it's not a technical masterpiece, but rather a story-driven film.

Overall, Moon is what a lot of films should strive to be: sweet and short. Nothing more, nothing less. This is a one-man show, giving Sam Rockwell enough time to ham it up as two characters. The solid script is enhanced by Duncan Jones' clear direction and makes the film all the more worthwhile. It captures the silence and isolation of the moon, and it has a human feel to it's story. The twists and turns this film takes are outstanding and the emotional pull is there. To compare this to Source Code is like comparing food to water: Can't we just enjoy both?
June 19, 2014
Kevin Spacey as a robot.
June 18, 2014
Starts slow, but soon reels you in. Acting from Sam Rockwell is superb. Loved the interaction from Kevin Spacey as Gerty the computer. Not usually a lover of sci-fi but I enjoyed this.
June 11, 2014
Likable, incredibly acted.
October 18, 2012
Over hyped, many discrepancies, disappointed and not so entertained
May 22, 2014
Never before have I seen Sam Rockwell so believable, so emotional, and so wonderfully cast. His charm and ultimately heartbreak make this film stand above many others with a similar idea
Mike N.
June 9, 2014
a good sci fi movie and a awesome performance.
May 18, 2014
A lot of people don't recognize what mere weeks of isolation can do to a man. Moon does a damn good job of explaining it.

I wouldn't be surprised if 50 years from now, people were to describe it as one of the best science-fiction films ever made. Shoot, I'd say that now. This film has some of the best plot twists I have ever seen in my life, and I mean they downright put M. Night Shyamalan to shame. That's what makes this film amazing. That and the special effects. Never have I ever wanted to go to the Moon more than after watching this film.
May 18, 2014
Awesome movie and awesome performance by Sam Rockwell. Only reason I didn't give it five stars was because it was a bit predictable and was a bit slow at times. But a great movie altogether.
May 18, 2014
I think I wanted this movie to be something it was not. If you take it for what it is, it is entertaining. Brilliant? No. Good Story? Kinda. Original? Not really.

Towards the end I formed an idea of what I thought was going to happen. I was wanting it to turn out to be something other than what the movie suggests, and it does turn out to be what it suggests. This made me feel not satisfied at all. The story was very linear and at a few moments you kinda doubt what you are seeing which led me to believe that its not going to turn out how you think it will. But it does.

I was thoroughly disappointed in this movie. If you take it for what it is, it is entertaining. But it could have ended way better if it turned out the way I thought it was going to.