36%

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

21 Reviews

Sam B

March 30, 2011
One of those movies I saw before I was too jaded to just sit back and enjoy a cliched drama once in a while, I will still defend that there is something worthwhile about "21". Maybe it's the cast, with Kevin Spacey and Laurence Fishburne playing the kind of intimidating roles they were born for. Maybe its the infectious, neon Vegas imagery. Maybe its just the music, or the strippers. "21" kept me engaged the first couple times I saw it, so it must have that potential for others.
Eugene B

July 23, 2013
A dynamic cast compiled by the help of one Kevin Spacey. 21 is a swift and smart story that is visually fascinating as it is clever. The film is brought down by the less-than-charismatic drama. Regardless of the uninspiring tone, the film is fair and solid enough to watch and enjoy. 4/5
Sanjay R

March 11, 2013
This movie just has so many points at which it should end, but it just keeps going and going and it isn't extremely interesting.
Eric A

December 25, 2012
Gotta love any rags to riches story, and when it deals with gambling and counting cards it's even better. Overall, good fun movie.
Anthony L

January 3, 2012
And the award for most annoying collective cast of young people goes to....

Honestly, I'll let Jim Sturgess off slightly as he has redeemed himself since but watching the rest of the cast in this painful 'biased on a true story drama' nearly made me pull my hair out. If watching a bunch of smug and arrogant youngsters get rich is your idea of fun then this is the film for you but if you want an entertaining and intelligent film about some kind of clever Las Vegas Casino heist then go elsewhere, this isn't the film for you.
TheGame90
TheGame90

November 28, 2010
I think this movie was pretty impressive. It's a pretty advanced movie. Nice to see Kevin Spacey mentoring all theese young unknown actors.
Conner R

November 18, 2009
21 is just a genuinely fun movie that never tries to be more than it is and always keeps you interested. Most of this is due to the multi-talented British Superstar, Jim Sturgess. He takes what could've been a typical and flat character and morphs it into someone who's so much more. You just feel so much for his character because you feel like it's a real person trying to get into a school and not a movie character. His natural talent and charm only help this further. The ensemble cast is also really good including a Kate Bosworth that's different from the usual routine, Kevin Spacey being as convincingly bizarre as usual and Morpheus as an intimidating security guard. Now the overall story is extremely interesting and it's a lot different from what you usually see in an average movie about college kids. It focuses on what makes Ben such a great person and then lets you get absorbed in the high roller lifestyle as well. On top of that, it's well made and doesn't feel an amateurish attempt. This isn't a heist movie like Ocean's 11 or a movie about cards like Rounders; it's a movie about one person's will to do whatever it takes to chase a dream. It's easy to blow this over since it wasn't all that successful or critically acclaimed, but it's so much more worthwhile than it had to be. Given the chance, I think most people would enjoy it just as much.
MANUGINO
MANUGINO

March 21, 2008
Inspired by the true story of five students who changed the game forever.

Saw it again! Well it was a very good movie surprisingly so.You kinda think you know what's gonna happen but somehow it changes somehow. Great movie! Good cast, very recommended to all.

Ben Campbell is a shy, brilliant M.I.T. student who needing to pay school tuition finds the answers in the cards. He is recruited to join a group of the school's most gifted students that heads to Vegas every weekend armed with fake identities and the know-how to turn the odds at blackjack in their favor. With unorthodox math professor and stats genius Micky Rosa leading the way, they've cracked the code. By counting cards and employing an intricate system of signals, the team can beat the casinos big time. Seduced by the money, the Vegas lifestyle, and by his smart and sexy teammate, Jill Taylor, Ben begins to push the limits. Though counting cards isn't illegal, the stakes are high, and the challenge becomes not only keeping the numbers straight, but staying one step ahead of the casinos' menacing enforcer: Cole Williams.
Wildaly M

July 28, 2008
Decent caper flick.
jamers2011
jamers2011

January 1, 2011
I loved this film! In my opinion, it's extremely underrated. I really liked the story and I thought there was good attention to detail. Pretty good direction by Robert Luketic...it seemed like every scene was executed to make sure it allowed the story to progress. I loved the cast...Kevin Spacey is great, and who doesn't like Laurence Fishburne? Great performance by Jim Sturgess, and Kate Bosworth is nice too. I'm surprised critics don't like this...I thought it very good. Good story, strong cast, good thrills, emotion. It delivered for me. I'd definitely watch it again, it's kind of a guilty pleasure kind of movie.
garyX
garyX

March 28, 2008
A group of brilliant mathematics students go to Vegas to make big money counting cards. 21 is a bit like Ferris Bueller's Day Off crossed with Ocean's Eleven. It's an interesting story based on true life events and it did make me wonder how the casinos get away with treating people like this; they come up with a way to fleece the public out of their money at will, but if anyone knows how to play and win (without cheating I may add) they get the crap kicked out of them and thrown out...basically anyone can play as long as they lose. Well, I'm sold...The biggest problem with 21 is the fact that no-one involved were very likable; they're just a bunch of selfish, smart assed kids led by Kevin Spacey on autopilot playing cards and counting. Not the most exciting combination. It was nice to see Laurence Fishburne play a bad ass again and I was interested enough to see what happened, but I was never truly hooked. Add a bland cast and a director desperately trying to make Blackjack look like The Fast And The Furious and you have a mediocre pseudo heist movie that passes the time pleasantly enough but is rather difficult to care about.
Japes
Japes

August 19, 2010
I've seen this movie a bunch of times, and it is a pretty decent film. The acting is great, the storyline is really interesting, and some parts of the movie were really intense.

While I did enjoy this film, there were some things I really couldn't get by. The first thing was by far the music. The music in this film did not fit the movie at all. The opening credits song and pretty much every song after that was really bad and made the movie less enjoyable. I think if they could've gotten better music, it would've made the movie flow a lot better and kept the viewers interest.

The second thing I didn't like was the script. Some of the insults the script had the characters hurl at each other really didn't seem like insults to me...and I was embarrassed for the people that actually had to say them. "You arrogant little infant"...what? Who says that? That's not offensive, it's funny, and it wasn't trying to be.

The movie also makes it seem like counting cards is really easy to do. At the end of the movie, I felt like if I wanted to, I could count cards and win a load of cash at a casino. Of course, counting cards is not that easy, and there's more involved than just +1, +2, and awkward body gestures.

This movie is a very enjoyable movie, and I would recommend it to others. It's not the best movie ever made, but it's okay.
Richard C

July 23, 2010
B+
KJ P

January 10, 2010
21 tries very hard to be a great film, and pulls it off great. Leaving some lack of story behind in it's trails, while managing to keep an audience focussed for over 2 hours, it becomes a very enjoyable premise.
Lady D

February 23, 2009
An entertaining look into the skill of counting cards and perhaps not a typical teen movie in it's usual sense. Taking on a role like this, makes me think that Spacey has hit his peak and is coming back down the other side, it was not a role or a film that fit his talents as an Actor. Did quite like Jim Sturgess for this role, but the film was watchable and nothing special.
cosmo313
cosmo313

February 26, 2010
This movie treads familiar territory, and it drags on for a bit too long, and, even though the chemistry is not all there, the cast is decent. Despite all this, the film is entertaining, it is watchable, and it provides a nice distraction from life on a lazy afternoon.
Leigh R

May 15, 2008
Spacey's performance is astounding... (as always) The math of it all has always been way above my head but it was rather interesting to learn some of the basis as how counting cards is formulated. Pretty cool...
Emile T

November 16, 2007
Disappointing on some levels, but it couldn't have been more entertaining than that. Good job from the actors, especially from Jim Sturgess.

A movie to watch over and over.
Lewis C

May 17, 2009
21 was fun ,but so formulaic that I find it difficult to recommend seeing it in any other way than on cable. It offers a villian to root against, a likeable protagonist who falls into a bad situation and needs redemption, and a love interest to be won. Add all that to the blackjack element, throw in a pretty obvious twist or two, and you basically know what this entire movie is about. Unfortunately, there isn't much more to it than that.