Passengers Reviews

September 3, 2008
I was not sure what i was watching early in this movie. A conspiracy movie or some thriller or what not . .then in came together in the last 40 minutes. Very much like the Others. A good movie but not great.
½ June 14, 2012
Uneven exposition just about murders this suspense piece (with a wee love story on the side) that seems to wait too long for a twist ending. Luckily the charisma of the leads carries the day until payoff time.
FiLmCrAzY
November 3, 2011
This movie was an okay movie, good cast and well acted, however it is rather slow and what saves this movie in order for me to say its a good movie is the ending! its a nice twist and quite a surprise so may be worth the watch!
hunterjt13
October 24, 2010
So Bradley Cooper - I mean Patrick Wilson - is in everything. There's nothing wrong with any of the performances, including Wilson and Hathaway's. Morse is always great, the gentle, soulful giant that he is. But I have to agree with some of the critics who remark that the film seems like a distant, uninteresting mystery until the very end, when everything comes together ... and after a certain point, even that wasn't much of a surprise. Unlike other films with remarkable endings (I'm thinking specifically of Angel Heart), the payoff is not worth sitting through the rest of the journey.
3niR
October 14, 2010
The real excitement starts when Eric (Pathirck Wilson) stands on the rail line. So that's pretty slow I guess. Half of the movie was okay. Will make you feel boring at some points (no wonder it got such a low ratings). The story was good (though it rings bell of similarity). Nice performance. I'm giving this 3 stars for that twist in the end. Though I don't agree with this dead-people-does-not-know-that-they-are-dead thing.
July 28, 2010
It's sad, for a good while this movie is actually very interesting and perfectly likable. However, about half way through until the end it's a complete mess and ridiculous. It was a little bit like the Sixth Sense and The Others, only it made no sense and it seemed like the twist was nothing more than a gimmick. Sadly, Anne Hathaway and Patrick Wilson's good performances are the only thing good about the entire movie, it's even more sad that their characters are so easily thrown away in the end.
October 20, 2008
I am not at all convinced this movie actually makes sense. First half, though not actually bad, is pretty slow and dull. The twist at the end picks it up, but I am sure there are some pretty serious logic flaws in it. I could have forgiven the general dullness of this film had the twist been in any way convincing. And is it just me or is Anne Hathaway picking worse films with each role she takes on?
½ November 3, 2008
The ending was written in plain sight about 1/4 of the way into the movie, but it was still worth the ride. Anne Hathaway seems to pull it off remarkably.
ScoopOnline
December 22, 2009
One accident. Ten survivors. One mystery to be solved.
LWOODS04
½ July 1, 2009
Anne Hathaway, Patrick Wilson, David Morse, Andre Braugher, Clea DuVall, Dianne West

After a plane crash, a young therapist, Claire (Anne Hathaway), is assigned by her mentor (Andre Braugher) to counsel the flight's five survivors. When they share their recollections of the incident ? which some say include an explosion that the airline claims never happened ? Claire is intrigued by Eric (Patrick Wilson), the most secretive of the passengers. Just as Claire's professional relationship with Eric ? despite her better judgment ? blossoms into a romance, the survivors begin to disappear mysteriously, one by one. Claire suspects that Eric may hold all the answers and becomes determined to uncover the truth, no matter the consequences.
Great plot, and it was executed well. Liked the story. Predictable, but well the worth the watch. For some you will have wait till the very ending before it reveals all it's truths. Interesting none the less. Liked the twist, even if it reminds me of another movie. Their story lines are different but the endings are very similar. Would give the name of the other film, but I feel like I would give this movie's ending away. Really liked Patrick Wilson in this movie. Thought he was charming and funny. Good watch with a great cast.
deano
September 3, 2008
This is a decent dramatic, not "thriller" as well as it is quite strange and mystery to find out about five survivors were plucked from a horrific plane crash.
I liked Hathaway in this role. I wouldn't normally have thought of her as playing the part of a professional woman with two Masters degrees, as she usually conveys beauty and warmth instead of intellect.
thefog1331
May 24, 2009
The trailers were misleading but I still enjoyed the performances and the end result anyway.
A decent rainy day drama.
puffchunk
May 13, 2009
A bit of a "m. night shylaman" ending, which put me off at first. Upon reflection however, I realized that it does have some pretty good drama and acting for a thriller movie. When Hathaway is freaking out in the plane at the end, you kinda feel like you'd do exactly the same thing. I also thought the love story between the two was very believable and real, unlike 90% of love stories in movies. Not too bad.
September 2, 2008
Passengers is a mix of the thriller and suspense genres, with a little romance and mystery added in for good measure. If that all sounds like a lot to fit into 93 minutes...well it is.

Anne Hathaway stars as Claire, a psychiatrist who is assigned to assist a few survivors of a horrible plane crash. As she gets to know the survivors, she becomes more deeply invovled in a seeming conflict between the survivors and the airline that apears to be trying to hide something. She grows especially close to Eric, a man that Claire is strangely attracted to, despite his rather odd behavior.

The story is pretty interesting, and leads you down a few different paths before you get to the ending. It's all pretty well done, and as long as you don't dwell on a few plot holes, you may be pleasantly surprised with how it all ends.

The main problem with this is that the movie length is simply too short to make the transitions in the style of the movie seem fluid. The ending comes completely out of the blue, unless you have been paying incredibly close attention. I think the creators of Passengers had a good idea, but I would have liked to see it executed a bit better. Passengers is original and unpredictable, but that's not enough to lift it from good to great.
December 20, 2008
Rather than being a complex thriller along the lines of Michael Clayton, or an enlightening drama about the effects of surviving a plane crash Passengers instead goes for the simplest WTF methods. It's a shame to think of what a good movie this could have been, especially when considering the cast. Wilson is fantastic whenever he is on screen, until the daft plot takes over. Morse is as always strong and impressive but is wasted as just the creepy guy. It was lucky that this film was so short as I didn't have too much time to get bored. The twist is the same as EVERY FUCKING FILM OF THE LAST 10 YEARS AAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!! but isn't gripping enough to excuse itself from this. If the obvious twist wasn't enough we then have to sit through a painful "piecing it all together" montage, just in case you are thick as shit.
½ March 5, 2010
I liked it all the way up to the end. How depressing. There is no heaven? No presence with the Lord?
SC007
December 5, 2009
The film was good, but it could have been so much better. The trailer for the film is very good. The film has a great twist ending. Hathaway was ok in the role, but another actress in the role could have done more with the character than she did. Wilson was ok. I didn't think that Wilson and Hathaway had a great on screen chemistry. David Morse and Clea DuVall provide solid supporting work. The film has the feel of an M. Night Shylaman film, even though he didn't direct this film. Despite it's flaws, I still recommend the film.
PantaOz
September 13, 2009
It is interesting approach of the director of this movie to the story... and it is a good story, but somehow feels like a pale version of the Sixth Sense.
Naughtia
May 14, 2010
This movie has a lot of mystique. Its the story about a counselor who is giving a survivor of a plane crash psychological help. As she talks to the victim she discovers that something isn't quite right about the crash, maybe there's some things that have been covered up. I thought this movie was boring at first because it seemed like forever before they got to the actual point of the story.
September 2, 2008
It has been done before enough times and so much better, that when the end comes, it stimulates no emotional response. Very mumbled and messed up but with decent performances from the cast.