Critic Review - Los Angeles Times

Hillcoat certainly provides the requisite seriousness, but what the movie lacks is an underlying sense of innocence, a sense that, however far humanity has sunk, there is at least some chance of rising again.

December 2, 2009 Full Review Source: Los Angeles Times | Comments (26)
Los Angeles Times
Top Critic IconTop Critic

Comments

toyskater2

michael collins

"lacks an underlying sense of innocence, a sense that, however far humanity has sunk, there is at least some chance of rising again"

Did you not notice the little boy in this movie?

Dec 4 - 11:39 PM

Crack R.

Crack Rat

I don't understand why this film needs "an underlying sense of innocence." The thing that sets this film apart as compared to others in the same genre is exactly that: It isn't wrapped up in a pretty, hopeful bow for you at the end. Am I the only one here that is thankful for films that don't patronize me with warm, fuzzy (and ultimate forced) endings?

Dec 5 - 06:26 PM

TechnoDestructo

Ian Finnesey

This reviewer is The Man's wife.

Dec 20 - 04:08 PM

filmscience

Kyle D

As if films are always required to provide comforting, easy answers.

I, for one, prefer films that are not so arrogant and patronizing. I like ones that ask questions and let me decide.

Dec 5 - 11:56 PM

Niko B.

Niko Bredbacka

I totally agree.

Jan 15 - 02:50 AM

Ottawa Fred

Fred Maack

The kid was the sign of innocence and hope. Duh. I think a 6th grader could have figured that out. He wanted everyone to be good to each other.

Dec 6 - 08:58 PM

David W.

David West

Have you ever even read the book?

Dec 16 - 11:43 PM

David W.

David West

Have you ever even read the book? There's purposely no sense of hope, no innoncence besides the love between him and his son.

Dec 16 - 11:44 PM

Brandon S.

Brandon Stuart

I hate to sound rather ignorant but you have no idea what the Hell you are speaking of. Humanity has hope but there has got to be a breaking point somewhere. Sugar and spice are always nice but i would prefer in this instance dirt to be thrown in my face, and for me to be kicked around a little. In other words good movie through and through! Dick

Dec 28 - 08:49 AM

James P.

James Pickworth

Why should there be a chance of humanity rising again? You're saying, that if a situation like in The Road, happened in our lifetime, that there would be a warm, fuzzy ending...or would chaos, crime, and emptiness take over.
Last time I checked we were pretty damn close to that happening now...so it would be fitting for the world to end just like that.

Jan 19 - 05:50 AM

DrCruel

Dr Cruel

Yo be fair to Spielberg, he did the very dark and very good "Schindler's List", which in many ways addresses some very similar themes.

Sep 3 - 05:38 PM

Jeris T.

Jeris Turner

I bet you had to go pee and missed the last 25 minutes of the film. Am I right?

Jan 20 - 08:03 PM

D B.

D B

"what the movie lacks is an underlying sense of innocence, a sense that, however far humanity has sunk, there is at least some chance of rising again"
I think the reviewer is saying that the film makers should have taken a note from such wonderful post apocoliptic films such as 2012 or even Transformers.
I'm so glad that not everyone can enjoy or even understand what makes "the road" such an amazing film. It seperates us from the 'tards.

Jan 29 - 04:28 AM

Richard B.

Richard Blake

"what the movie lacks is an underlying sense of innocence"... Well done on missing the entire point; the idea that human civilisation is three meals away from savagery. Go watch some fricken Spielberg and leave critiquing the grown up films to the grown ups.

Apr 4 - 07:40 AM

Diego M.

Diego Munro

Every element of this film apart from Viggo's performance and the cinematography was poorly executed. The boy just sucks at acting period. The ending flatlined the whole movie with its contrived "here comes the new family" nonsense. The plot line jumped all over the place in a disorganized fashion helped along by the bland narration. Disappointing.

May 31 - 10:31 PM

Al K.

Al Klisiak

Have to agree that the movie would have been much better with some innocence, just a modicum...maybe a day glow Mickey Mouse prancing down the road, smiling brightly with a big thumbs up, that's what's missing.

Sep 10 - 04:45 PM

Al K.

Al Klisiak

Sep 10 - 04:47 PM

Mitchell Khoury

Mitchell Khoury

Thanks for the laugh sir. I have not laughed that hard in a while.

Aug 2 - 10:24 PM

David Bolick

David Bolick

Sep 30 - 12:44 PM

Robert Murray

Robert Murray

you missed the point

Jan 19 - 07:17 PM

Dave M.

Dave Mehus

You don't know good films. Oh, I'm sorry! This is a GREAT film!

Feb 22 - 08:16 AM

Marc Adler

Marc Adler

This is like complaining that The Terminator lacked a good musical number a la Mel Brooks.

If you read the book, the point is that if there is any chance of rising again, it's tenuous at best.

Mar 10 - 02:44 PM