The Duchess Reviews

½ June 30, 2015
A tragic look at a life of privilege. How life can be unfair, and you can't have it all. That you can solider on inspight of romantic hardship, even though you wish to give up on life .
June 3, 2015
i thought it was a pretty good keira knightley movie
February 17, 2015
I liked this movie. The acting is good and the directing and story line are also done well. It's sad but good.
½ March 19, 2013
Had a similar feel in style to Marie Antoinette but without all the sugar coated lavish lifestyle. A sad movie, but a great performance.
½ January 9, 2015
As always, Knightley is an excellent lead and the setting is magnificent, even if the ripe historical storyline and political undertones are somewhat mishandled by the bland production crew at BBC Films.
December 27, 2014
I have never been much of a Keira Knightley fan myself but in this historical drama she performs admirably. This is the sort of movie that would ultimately rise or fall based on the execution of her role. Knightely, who I usually find rather aloof, is adept at capturing both the charm, grace, warmth and intelligence. that made the real Georgiana Spencer so captivating to so many. Ralph Fiennes, an actor who disappears into roles like ice in a teacup, makes the Duke a complex and almost sympathetic figure, heightening the sense of tragedy for these birds in gilded cages.
December 7, 2014
Hair, dresses, tears, drama and great actors. The Duchess is a period film success
½ January 6, 2009
The story of Georgiana, the 18th century duchess of Devonshire, comes to vivid life in this beautifully crafted period piece. As the great-great-great-great aunt of Princess Diana (who Georgiana is often compared with), Kiera Knightley continues to mature as a woman and an actress. No other actress (and very few other actors) of her generation reveals so much in a close-up, in a glance, in a shift of her jaw. Supermodel looks aside, this lady can act. And she's not alone. Ralph Fiennes plays the Duke not as a irrational monster, but as a man very much of his time. He's a realist, and Fiennes slowly lets us see how confined in his position in society he really was--as much as Georgiana was. Saul Dibb's impeccably mounted film is gorgeously detailed, with wonderful costumes, stunning sets, perfectly natural-looking lighting, all deliciously photographed and laced with a delicate score. It doesn't search for deeper meaning in Georgiana's life, and appropriately so. That would be pointless. But as a lush and lavish period piece, this film is superb
August 14, 2014
Exquisitely done with lavish settings, clothes, places...Stellar cast!
½ November 15, 2011
Another solid movie and period drama, but really has nothing to distinguish itself from better and more memorable films.
January 28, 2012
This story kept lingering on my mind!
February 20, 2014
Keira Knightley and Ralph Fiennes are sublime.
December 21, 2013
I never liked Keira Knightley in the Pirate of the Caribbean movies but in this movie... I still don't like her.
December 19, 2013
you just wanna shoot the fuck twice in the head, then execute him while burning on fire.
October 17, 2008
The ending was bitter sweet to say the least, and the whole movie has this whole melancholy about it. I wish they showed the process of how the Duchess became the 'It Girl' instead of just talking about it.
December 7, 2013
Such a mixed up life!
April 1, 2012
Quite good. Another impressive role by Knightley who is becoming an acclomplished actress and we have no problem barracking for her as she draws us in. One feels for the main character throughout and the feeble attempt by the Fiennes Duke to portray himself as a victim of circumstance at the end serves as a ploy to ram home the message really well.
October 24, 2013
Subtly feminist?? Do you want to be a fucking woman? At any period of time??
ascordeiro108
January 21, 2011
It's an historical piece and it's good, although of all the historical movies I've seen I still prefer "The Other Boleyn Girl"
The costume department did a great job.
August 31, 2013
"The Duchess" recounts the patriarchal mistreatment of women in 18th century England.