The Duchess - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Duchess Reviews

October 24, 2013
Subtly feminist?? Do you want to be a fucking woman? At any period of time??
ascordeiro108
January 21, 2011
It's an historical piece and it's good, although of all the historical movies I've seen I still prefer "The Other Boleyn Girl"
The costume department did a great job.
August 31, 2013
"The Duchess" recounts the patriarchal mistreatment of women in 18th century England.
½ August 29, 2013
meh.......
but I did like Ralph Fiennes
½ November 17, 2008
Keira Knightley is great and amazing!
the movie is good but the plot does not add anything new..
and the dresses wow i want one!
March 26, 2010
I was pleasantly surprised by the cinematography and Keira Knightley's touching performance. I was very moved by the story of the Duchess.
July 19, 2013
I don't know, but I find period pieces rather similar to each other. Perhaps it's the art direction or the production and costume design. This film was just as such but with a rather interesting plot, though not entirely unfamiliar. I thought it was just a typical British period piece.
February 21, 2009
I enjoyed watching Keira Knightley in Pride and Prejudice, Atonement and now this wonderful period piece biopic.
Every man in England is in love with her- except her husband - quote.The marriage between Lady Georgiana Spencer and William Cavendish, Duke of Devonshire, was an arranged union, coaxed by her mother Lady Spencer.She is trapped in a cold, loveless marriage, her husband played marvelously by Ralph Fiennes whose main interests is his hunting dogs and a male heir. Its an emotional drama worth watching especially if you are a fan of historical fare
June 2, 2013
Superb acting. Somewhat predictable plot. Gorgeous settings and costumes.
May 7, 2013
A very interesting story and i found it to be quite the page turner as much of a attention grabber
½ May 6, 2013
A complex story with the ring of historical authenticity. But in the end we are asked to accept the brutal villain as the mere product of the 18th century system. Sorry, but this is evil without excuse.
March 3, 2010
I loved this movie.
Great costumes, performances and great story.

If you like period pieces this will be one of your favorites.
½ October 30, 2008
Perfectly done and terribly sad. Kiera Knightly is brilliant in this role.
½ February 25, 2009
I really liked the movie and also I loved Keira Knitley (i hope she will give us more of this and less of pirates) and my favourite Ralph Fiennes. Every feeling is very strong, image and performances very good, as well as costumes.
March 24, 2013
I liked the movie very much. Keira is brilliant, and the Ralph too.
March 22, 2013
Sumptuous visuals, but wholly underwhelming. Keira Knightley is Keira Knightley. Dominic Cooper is mis-cast.
½ March 18, 2013
I can't stand Keira Knightley but besides that the story was just plain boring.
terris85017
January 12, 2009
(2008 Director: Saul Dibbs) Georgianna, Dutchess of Devonshire (18th Century) A movie of truths & hard reverses and betrayals others say! SOund to me like a "MUST SEE"!! Review to follow....
March 6, 2013
cant remember it. but know ive seen it.
½ February 24, 2013
Period piece! Automatic stars (unless it's Atonement). Add a really good (sad) story and some funny clothing and it's a go.