The Women - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Women Reviews

May 6, 2015
Even though I haven't seen the original, I don't think this remake is deserving of all its bad reviews. The women ARE types, but they represent all the different complexities of women, for better or worse: the woman who tries to be everything (Mary), the woman who IS everything until she isn't (Sylvie), the woman who knows everything and shares it (Tanya), the woman who knows everything and hides it (Edie and Catherine), the woman who observes everything and just laughs (Alex), and the woman who wants everything just because (Crystal).

That last motivation for the ostensible villain is admittedly weak, but the rest of the movie isn't so much rah-rah woman-power, but just woman-life without posturing, cattiness, or easy choices.
½ June 23, 2011
Really, really crap!
½ July 21, 2009
Cast: Meg Ryan, Eva Mendes, Debra Messing, Jada Pinkett Smith, Natasha Alam, Carrie Fisher, Candice Bergen, Bette Midler, Annette Bening

Director: Diane English

Summary: Shocked by the discovery that their pal Mary's (Meg Ryan) husband is having an affair with a beautiful young shop girl (Eva Mendes), a tight-knit circle of New York socialites comes up with a devious plan to help Mary win back her man.

My Thoughts: "Great cast of female actresses. Some had strong performances some not as strong. But I enjoyed the story and the friendships between the girls. This is a girl driven film that I am not sure any guy will want to watch, unless forced to by their better half. But I must say, if I was to come face to face with my husbands mistress there would be little conversation happening. But I guess the way Mary Haines handles it is a bit more classy. I just don't have patience for talking when I see red lol. It's a funny film with strong females. Great chick flick."
November 20, 2007
This remake of George Cukor's 1939 version in the plot is full of women only in the screen, none of men hanging around and chewing up on screen time, but except in the voice on the telephone conversations and give birth a baby boy at the final scene.
I like the cast are Meg Ryan, Annette Bening, Debra Messing and Jada Pinkett-Smith fit on their roles well. Messing's character is funny and cute and could have really had a good storyline to go along with Mary's (Ryan) marital woes but they give her next to nothing other than a few good lines and funny moments.
There is strong comedic acting in some of the supporting roles, including Cloris Leachman, Eve Mendes, Candice Bergen and Bette Milder. Carrie Fisher gets points for playing her entire scene while furiously pumping a workout machine.
This isn't great movie, but how could it be? Too many characters and too much melodrama for that, and the comedy has to be somewhat muted to make the characters semi-believable. But as a well-crafted, well-written and well-acted entertainment, it drew me in and got its job done.
½ June 25, 2010
this sucked really bad. F
September 19, 2008
Could have been better. It was okay and cast are good, but something about it just fell flat and I downright hated the ending. Actually Debra Messing's character in general I found irritating, and I usually like her.
½ October 5, 2009
Lots of A list actors. A little unrealistic. Start your own clothes designs and Saks wants to buy them? A friend writes a best seller on her first try? I guess the movie is OK to watch if you don't think too much.
½ August 30, 2009
The film walks on very well-trodden ground, and really has nothing new to say, but... as entertainment, it delivers very well.
A witty script, with some truly funny one-liners; delivered by a fantastic cast, including Meg Ryan and Annette Benning in the central roles; with great supporting roles by Candace Bergen and Cloris Leachman; not to mention wonderful cameos by Carrie Fisher and Bette Midler.

The message - that a woman has to love herself before she can be and give love, is swathed in upper class New York power women - so it is perhaps a fable and dangling the same kind of carrot that it supposidly is railing against.

Still, the actresses convey an ease of manner which seems totally organic, and only once (during Meg and Annette's reconcilliation scene) does it come across as the reading of lines (though they recover beautifully by the end of the scene).

If you want revelations and deep philosophical discourse, then this is not your film. If you want to watch some fantastic actresses performing with ease and grace, and want to simply be entertained, then this film is certainly worth the 1:45 investment.
½ September 22, 2008
I really quite enjoyed this movie i thought maybe it could of been better but it wasnt to bad!
Its funny in places and even though some laughs are far between each when they come they are hilarious!
i like this film even more because its a chick flick and a completely woman cast there isnt a male at all in the entire movie they talk a bout male bosses and bf'f but you never see them which i thought was diffferent and a good idea!!
Meg ryan finds out her husband has cheated and thinks the good idea is to just divorce him with her friends taking her side they are funny all together!
there isnt much to the story really and can be boring in places but still a worth a while movie with great performances worth a watch!!
March 3, 2009
ok the person that got the most laughs from me was The Old Maid! housekeeper/ whatever! she was pretty good!
January 12, 2009
Loved it! It is exactly the type of movie that I really get into. All of the lead actresses were great, especially Meg Ryan. Cute story and it's pretty damn funny too.
½ January 2, 2009
The Women starring a very good cast is a good film overall...not as good as the original from MGM in 1939 at all. If you want to see the best watch the original starring Norma Shearer and Joan Craford.

The new film stars Meg Ryan as Mary Haines whom finds out her husband in NYC is cheating on her with Crystal Allen (Eva Mendes). Crystal is a perfume girl at Sacks 5th Ave. and wants the wealth of the married man. With a strong cast such as Debra Messing. Jada Pinckett Smith, Annette Benning, Candice Bergin, Bette Midler, Cloris Leachman and more help this movie which is on the weak side overall. The script is weak and dissappointing overall. The beginning of the film is not that bad but then it drags out and lost me....try to see it but if you want a true classic rent the original.
September 14, 2008
Good girl flick about a group of friends who find out one of their husband's having an affair. It is like an older Sex and the City mix of relationships, careers, etc. Be warned, it is difficult to look at Meg with her plastic surgery she smiles like the Joker!
December 15, 2007
I was kinda hoping to learn something from this movie but didn't lol, the movie was boring, the only good thing was Meg Ryan's and Eva Mende's beauty. A wealthy New Yorker leaves her cheating husband and bonds with other society women at a resort. A remake of George Cukor's 1939 film "The Women."
September 17, 2008
I will admit to going to see this more out of curiosity than actual interest. The 1939 original is great - a biting social satire that is one of the cattiest, bitchiest, funniest and sassiest films there is. It was also an excellent showcase for the female talent of it's time - Hollywood's Golden Age.
But what the hell do we have here?? All the sass, the bitchiness, the biting wit and glamour is gone and in it's place is a totally anaemic tale of sisterly love played out by the most mind numbingly boring and screechy characters ever put to celluloid. It felt more like Sex and the City rewritten by some Christian Womens' Institute.
I really have NO idea what the other people at the screening I attended were laughing at! Maybe it was Meg Ryan's cosmetic surgery - all collagen pout and cat's eyes stare! Very disconcerting - especially haloed by all that bloody curly hair (is anyone's hair THAT curly?). But hang on... Oh she's straightened it, just so we know she's a changed woman! ZZZzzz...
Poor Annette Bening was the only real talent on show here. I felt SO sorry for her because she deserves so much more than this. I just hope she gets a better offer soon.

This is why these kind of films aren't called Women's Films anymore and are dismissed as Chick-flics! The cinematic equivalent of nails being clawed on a chalk board
½ October 2, 2008
Disappointing. Despite a great ensemble female cast, the film itself is flat. The pacing is off both editingwise and dialogwise. The dialog needed to be fixed. I have been told the original film is much better than this remake.
½ November 9, 2007
Very very funny!
October 22, 2009
The entire cast comprised of women; Annette Benning, Meg Ryan, Debra Messing, Candice Bergen, Cloris Leachman , Jada Pinkett Smith , Bette Midler and Eva Mendes but it's refreshing to see women on the screen grappling with decisions that affect their lives, their families, their careers, their friendships and most importantly, their consciousness.

In a nutshell, the story is basically about Ryan who plays the all American lovely socialite wife Mary Haines juggling with family, career and various obligations, so much so that her husband finds enough time to engage in an extra-marital affair. Eva Mendez was stunningly and evilly cast as the other woman, Crystal Allen, who hooks up with Mary's husband just because of his social standing and platinum credit card.

Annette Bening was outstanding in this film and I especially liked how her character comes clean with Meg Ryan at the table about selling her out and the scene between Bening and her best friend's daughter on the park bench was especially touching. Jada Pinkett Smith was also very likable.

This movie is a light piece of entertainment and no, I didn't see the 1939 version so my opinion is totally unbiased. The NYC scenes were nice to see and yeah I do believe it was far better than the recent Sex in the City movie even though I am a big fan of Sex in the City the TV series.