Surrogates - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Surrogates Reviews

½ September 18, 2015
Despite some cool moments and innovative touches, the film sacrifices plausibility in the details to its big picture, which is unfortunately quite bland: one man saving humanity from itself with seconds to spare. As a loosely AI-based sci-fi, it lacks the depth and intelligence of Ex Machina, eXistenZ or even The Matrix, and is really just another action flick. It basically rehashes the old utopia becomes dystopia, fear of technology shtick that has been the mainstay of box office sci-fi from day one.

The FBI nerd, controlling the world from behind a bank of monitors, is practically a carbon copy of Dennis Nedry from Jurassic Park. I really enjoyed the scene with the surrogate getting a facial though - that was neat.
February 28, 2015
Though some scenes are pretty tense and tightly-filmed, its overall short, empty and rides on just its quick-fixes for action. Barely passable. Only for specific junkies.
½ June 28, 2009
good concept but threw you in there without explaining the rules of the universe. This left oyu questioning the film and never having your disbelief extended.

The end was a bit of a disappointment and reminded me of equilibrium .

Didn;t feel finished.
July 19, 2014
Grade:Higher 6/10

Surrogates is a Sci-Fi film that although never really lives up to the
epic scale we see so often in this genre, still produces some good
action scenes and an amazing production design to look at. It has a
cast led by an action film legend and he produces bringing the right
balance of fights and chases to really make the short film exciting.
Some say it is poor but I disagree, I felt it has enough to be
considered alright and thought it was also just about OK, and here
below is why.

The story is pretty cool but to be fair it is wasted, too short of a
film and too much going on mean you never quite get to delve into the
story and learn about new things. I liked the ending which is
interesting and although it does start very slowly and the pace really
needs to be kicked up a notch, the middle into the end produces what
the movie goers want to see. I also liked the way in which everything
works in the world, it is really quite neat and although may seem it
has been done before when you see it, it turns out interesting.

Bruce Willis is well, a weird looking when he wants to be,He has a
strange looking surrogate and the make-up used on him is disturbingly
strange to look at best. I wasn't to keen on pretty much anyone else in
the cast, it is pretty poorly acted and only Willis can do anything to
bring in a saving grace. I would have liked to see the film bring in
more support for Willis as at times he can seem to be on his own doing
things and a decent sidekick would have made it more exciting.

Jonathan Mostow doesn't direct this too well in all fairness, it isn't
it's weakest point but the way in which everything goes a long is just
a frightfully horrible pace. I personally felt the acting was the
biggest let down for this film but the writing is also poor, you won't
think much about it whilst watching it but the words chosen are nothing
different that your average screenplay. The effects, well the effects
are also fairly poor but I will say the actual surrogates look great
although basically the sets and make-up for this are the top of

The main criticism of course the acting as previously said, just isn't
strong enough for such a hard film to well, act in. The poor effects
are to be fair hard to do anyway, a bigger budget perhaps would have
done the trick but they don't annoy you as a viewer. The 89 minute
running time can be a problem at times too, with too little a time to
really understand the characters and a rushed ending too.

If you like Sci-Fi/Action type films then go see it, you should enjoy
all that goes on and only the most hardened haters of Sci-Fi would
really dislike this. For Bruce Willis fans your probably used to over
the top action and this has it quite a bit although sometimes seems
mindless. It's actually a good old mystery if you really look into it
and any fan of working out that mystery should enjoy this, even if you
don't particularly like these type of movies.

Overall I give this a higher 6/10,it is Just About a Pleasing film, contains no
material to push up it's score but I don't think the everyone that
watches it should hate it. Don't look into the behind the scenes stuff
like writing and directing and the film is hugely enjoyable. Another
thing not to look a lot into is also the acting which is not the worst
ever but when the film starts you want them to leave the movie quick.
½ January 25, 2015
Rather optimistic movie.
January 20, 2015
Interesante premisa, pero que mala pelicula.
½ December 14, 2014
It doesn't surprise me that Surrogates was passed over by critics. To compound the sad state of the American movie review industry these days, Surrogates had too little hype and Bruce Willis was and is still on a low streak. Despite all of this, Surrogates really stands out. It has the feel of District 9 and I, Robot put together, combining a slick science fiction premise with thought provoking questions of humanity and a few excellent plot twists. Bruce Willis gets to shine, in large part because he gets to be precisely who he actually is, an old, washed up professional. Pike is great, with some hints of the cold command that she would eventually bring to Gone Girl. The action is also sufficiently rewarding and Surrogates takes some time to ask a few tough questions about our future. It has its flaws, but this movie is very entertaining and a great darkhorse science fiction film.
½ April 29, 2014
was suppose to have a deep meaning but wasn't brought out well
½ October 4, 2009
Really was looking forward to seeing this movie. The plot turned out to be very weak.
October 18, 2009
Creepy to thing that the world could come to this and Bruce Willis just weirded me out.
½ August 5, 2014
In a future where humanity is isolated, pain-free and docile - because instead of venturing out themselves, they send surrogates, perfect mechanical counterparts, to do the work. But when a murder shatters this perfect world, an FBI agent will discover a conspiracy behind this perfect world and will have to abandon his own surrogate and risk his own life to find the truth. The way the movie is shot was really well done and Bruce Wills didn't do a bad job in this movie. But the story and the characters were flat and all of this had be done to death by now.
½ February 12, 2011
(First and only viewing - 2/12/2011)
½ July 17, 2014
I thought it was going to be crap due to all the negative reviews but it's actually a pretty good film. The 'surrogates' concept is excellent - however if they had not tried to make it a 'bang bang blockbuster' movie it would have been a real classic. At the end of the film I was not disappointed - instead it was thought provoking and made me wonder what kind of world we are heading to and what would happen if all the technology was switched off tomorrow.
½ June 21, 2014
Kind of cool, definitely my kind of movie, although it was a little disappointing I thought it was in its own way, a better movie for being disappointing and not trying to be totally epic or have the best hd special effects. Just a decent little flick... the rottentomatoes general two-sentence review pretty much sums it up. Lots of action. Lots and lots of action.
July 7, 2014
An interesting story that was not capitalized in the film
January 30, 2010
Not Bruce's best. A little rushed and a bit short. characters are not very memorable, but the premise hold a lot of promise. Worth a watch but it doesn't blow you away
August 5, 2010
Basically another version of iRobot (which also was a great movie), Bruce Willis is still the man.
May 19, 2014
This is an incredibly short film; however feels longer than The Lord of the Rings. Surrogates is a boor that will only put people to sleep.
½ May 7, 2014
La propuesta es interesante. No tiene mucho que destacar esta pelÝcula. Esta bien para verla una vez.