20% Transcendence Apr 18

100% Da Vinci's Demons: Season 2
100% Orphan Black: Season 2

Surrogates Reviews

June 14, 2010
Surrogates has some very unique and creative ideas. However, it struggles to really capture and stimulate the viewer with its unrealistic portrayal of a robot-human mixed society. Jumping to extremes within the world of technological dependency, it is easy to lose interest in the flat delivery. It is greatly appreciated that they kept it to 90 minutes, instead of the average 2+ hours. Far-fetched and beyond realistic, it is still able to entertain to a point.
March 24, 2014
gr8 sci-fi tale good story and action
March 23, 2014
didn't even care to finish it!
Eric B.
August 5, 2010
Basically another version of iRobot (which also was a great movie), Bruce Willis is still the man.
Just James
March 21, 2014
This has to be one of my favourite premises in a movie: We humans, also known as meat-bags, inhabit surrogate robots, hooked up to stemchairs. We live, work and breathe through these machines, whilst our natural bodies essentially rot away forgotten as these robotic bodies inhabit our lives. It's Terminator meets I, Robot, but with a tonne of it's own neat ideas and cool touches throughout. Surrogates feels very technological and futuristic which is exactly what Director Johnathan Mostow aimed for and the end result is fantastic. A handful of fine performances especially from it's two leads, they look creepy as robots but the acting isn't robotic at all, it's one of Willis' best in recent memory and Radha Mitchell is superb, who takes on multiple personalities and characteristics when her Surry is taken over. The concept is astonishing and it's used to it's full potential, plus the action is tense and explosive boasting one hell of a smashing car chase midway through the film. Ending with a suitably ghostly and chilling conclusion, and a nail biting finale Surrogates is definitely one to watch, and it's thought provoking too.
Sgt. Cockstrain
January 25, 2014
(42%)
It pick and mixes ideas from almost every sci-fi movie from the past 30 or so years. The robots are a combination of the ones in "A.I", "Terminator" and "I robot", of course there is a "Matrix" element, and a smattering from "the 6th day". It is somewhat well put together and it is entertaining, but it fails to be as good as all the movies it resembles.
October 6, 2013
A bland, empty affair. Whether the lack of viewer interest in the characters and plot is due to poor writing, acting, or directing, I am unsure. However, it's always nice to have a sci-fi film with ideas.
February 18, 2014
What could have been an awesome comic adaptation into a movie.
December 30, 2013
It was a bit too stupid, formulaic, and lacking. It could have been more successful, but I really liked the concept; the idea.
Ky K.
February 5, 2014
Surrogates is an entertaining and intellectually stimulating science fiction thriller.
J.W
January 4, 2011
September 23, 2009
if you mix i robot with total recal and a splash of blade runner this is what u get.
October 4, 2009
04.10.2009,
25.12.2013
October 10, 2009
L'idée est excellente: une société où seuls nos "clones" interagissent entre eux, et son traitement n'est pas mauvais. C'est l'intrigue à la mort moi le noeud qui pêche.
David P.
December 2, 2013
hmm....only good if you believe that most people would sit all day on their lazy arse..given the choice. Pretty damn good then.
Noah C.
November 23, 2013
Highly forgettable action flick.
January 30, 2010
Not Bruce's best. A little rushed and a bit short. characters are not very memorable, but the premise hold a lot of promise. Worth a watch but it doesn't blow you away
June 28, 2012
Trust the yanks to stuff up a perfectly intriguing set-up. What could have been the sci-fi movie of the decade is instead a pile of cliches that go nowhere. All the interesting bits are only used to support the boring main plotline, which is just a straight up whodunnit. Mitchell is wasted (which is a crime and should be punishable by law) and Willis plays himself.
October 15, 2013
I missed out on this movie until 2013 but wow, my god what an ingenious script. This movie is fascinating. The only thing that keeps it from being one of the best sci-fi films of all time is that it's too straight to the point. It's too short. It needed another half hour. Ironically, the movie is as cold and inorganic as the surrogate robot doubles in the film. They should've followed Cameron's approach on something like The Abyss or Strange Days, or Spielberg's example with the weird yet organic feel of Minority Report. Let the movie have some fun so it doesn't feel as much like a movie that's trying to get to the finish line.

You could argue that we barely know these characters because..that's what life is like in this world, but I don't buy that at all. You gotta make us love and hate your characters.

It's a real shame this movie flew at breakneck speed towards the conclusion at the end. It could've been one of the greats, instead of just a great sci-fi film of the 2000s (a decade containing almost none). But the thought-provoking world and complex plot kept my brain firing on all cylinders for the whole thing. Will fit somewhere at the bottom of the top 10 sci-fi flicks of the decade.
October 12, 2013