The Forgotten Woman - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Forgotten Woman Reviews

January 13, 2010
In some ways more compelling than Water as we have the true life examples of the widows of India and the existence that they are forced to live through.
December 24, 2013
Angering documentary about India's cultural misogyny. Well made. Some inspirational women documented here.
July 5, 2012
Very well made, and very disconcerting.
March 27, 2010
Mehta must have graduated at the top of his photography class! Beautiful cinematography and great storytelling. Nice partnership with his sister. An issue that needs more attention . Thanks for continuing to educate us all.
January 19, 2009
Certainly see "Water" as well as this film. It truly explores how women are treated as derelicts/exiled from their children after their father passes away/ dying on the streets and not even given a ceremony for their death. the culture allows this to occur where the widows need to beg for food, considered bothersome in the community due to their need for food and shelter... and even though they may have had a house, it is encouraged to give it to the children (for their blessings after death), and the children desert them, considering it bad luck to have her around. It's truly awful to know and see that this happens today in this area of the world. Women have much to fight for... Feminism is not dead.
January 13, 2010
½ April 11, 2009
I had high expectations for this documentary but it fell a little short. It seemed to ramble at times and didn't have a clear voice. The last half was better and the subject matter is definitely worth exploring.
December 31, 2008
it breaks your heart and makes you want to redeem your soul... quite a religious outing, this one!!