67% The Maze Runner Sep 19

America The Beautiful Reviews

December 20, 2013
good doc check out part 2
March 31, 2013
Interesting and sometimes shocking documentary, but on the whole there is nothing new or surprising here. The film covers a multitude of different topics without delving too deeply into any one of them or delivering any original insights. Still recommended as food for thought.
August 18, 2012
I saw this rare treat on Netflix. With an election coming up, the banality level is going through the roof. I'm one of those persons who urges voters to 1) become informed and 2) be discriminate in what passes as knowledge. This movie does not take sides, but in the scream loud nonsense and flat out lie until people believe you, the far right (even the close right) is winning hands down. However, the movie is none-too-gentile on the liberal psychobabble on child rearingā"so don't expect your side to be handled "fairly" while the other side is righteously blasted to fire and brimstone.

Some viewers will be offended by the violence as two characters--a middle age man and teeny-bopper --blast away the many ills and evil they find in contemporary society. (Where were these guys when I needed them when a person disrupted a movie with their cell phones?) However, the violence is more like a pointer in a presentation--"Look at this" --than the kind of violence in the blood baths found in horror films that have no message other than to scare dates into a clutching snuggle.

Some who see this film will come away with "OMG, they shot a reality show star!" and others will think, "Not a bad idea..." The whole point is to look at what has happened to our culture, as smallness and meanness have replaced any kind of nobility and decency. (Even 'nobility' has come to mean 'entitled.')

Just you wait, though. Some half-wit will claim films like this 'caused' the massacre at the Batman movie. They'll have missed the point entirely and perhaps belong on that list of contemporary shallowness in thought and deed.
October 29, 2011
Interesting but still didn't manage to change my mind...
Brody M

October 7, 2010
A GREAT documentary that told me things I already knew but alot of things I didnt know as well (Dogs getting plastic surgery?!) I'd recommend anybody & everybody to go see it once or twice.Does America have an unhealthy obsession with beauty? YES we do!
jam233
February 27, 2010
Informative, with some very effective interviews. It makes it?s point very clearly. A good variety of people were interviewed, giving different perspectives and keeping the story interesting.
jazza923
February 27, 2010
71/100. Informative, with some very effective interviews. It makes it's point very clearly. A good variety of people were interviewed, giving different perspectives and keeping the story interesting.
MovieManiac
December 14, 2009
He got his point across, but a bit repetitive. The story should be told and must be heard.
debbieleq97
June 24, 2009
Actually,im never seen it...
fastmaddy
September 17, 2008
highly recommend watching to girls & a few boys who care to see how much society standards are placed on "beauty".
fyodor_fish
August 27, 2008
A documentary produced, and directed by Darryl Roberts, [i]America the Beautiful[/i] asks (and answers) whether the United States has an unhealthy obsession with physical beauty. Short answer: it does. That, as much as anything else, is common knowledge. What Roberts does, however, is cover different angles of that unhealthy obsession with an extremely limited definition of physical beauty: thin, very, very thin, young, and usually, Caucasian (the blonder the better). Partly traditional, thesis-based documentary, partly personal journey, and partly an exploration of a young woman?s journey through the modeling world, [i]America the Beautiful[/i] is an intelligent, thought-provoking documentary well worth the price of admission (and your time, of course).

[i]American the Beautiful[/i] mixes archival footage with ?talking head?-style interviews, ranging from Ted Casablanca, Anthony Kiedis, the leader singer of the [i]Red Hot Chili Peppers[/i], comedian Martin Short, dramatist-performer-activist Even Ensler ([i]The Vagina Monologues[/i]), magazine editors, scientists, researchers, plastic surgeons, and even a self-described pigmentation specialist to look at all sides of the beauty question and the pernicious effects of advertising on the image women have of themselves and each other. Unsurprisingly, those working within the fashion industry or the traditional media have few if any qualms about the images they use to sell products and, of course, make money. Again unsurprisingly, moral considerations are a secondary to generating revenue and profits.

Roberts offers up some interesting examples to either prove his thesis or raise awareness about beauty-related issues. For example, did you know that the United States has only 5% of the world?s population, but more than 40% of the global advertising is directed at the American consumer? Did you know that phylates, potentially toxic chemicals banned in Western Europe but not in the United States are still used in cosmetics? Did you know cosmetic companies can avoid listing the contents of their cosmetics by using the all-purpose ?trade secrets? excuse? Yes, they can. Did you know that the U.S. has banned less than 10 chemicals used in cosmetics, the European Union has banned more than 400 chemicals they consider harmful to human health? Or that treatment centers for bulimia or anorexia usually run $30,000-$40,000 a week and aren?t covered by private health insurance plans?

As many facts as Roberts has (and he has many), what makes [i]America the Beautiful[/i] far more compelling than a PBS-style documentary is the presence and focus on Gerren Taylor, a fashion model Roberts met at an LA fashion show. Tall, thin, and African American, Gerren modeled skimpy designer clothing at various LA and NY fashion shows. She was also twelve when she began modeling. Roberts followed her and her mother-agent, Michelle, for the better part of five years as she pursued a modeling career. Modeling gigs often interfered with school, often causing conflicts between Michelle and high school administrators (Michelle eventually tried home schooling Gerren). But Gerren?s youth, beauty, and poise (not to mention her uniqueness) quickly ran into the unrealistic expectations of the fashion industry (i.e., thinness). With so much of her self-image and self-esteem tied into modeling, Gerren had a difficult time adjusting both to the modeling world and later, getting gigs.

With so much ground to cover and enough material for several hours, [i]America the Beautiful[/i] can be difficult to follow, but Roberts smartly returns to Gerren Taylor and her journey through the fashion modeling world. Through her we see the emphasis on physical beauty to the exclusion of everything else. Through her we see what happens when that image-obsessed world decides she no longer fits their definition of beauty. And through her we see the possibility of moving beyond that image-obsessed world. Personalizing the abstract argument Roberts wanted to make through Gerren also does the near impossible: making fashion models sympathetic (at least to some extent). That?s not necessarily where Roberts wanted to go, but moviegoers who give [i]America the Beautiful[/i] a chance will be glad he did.
January 20, 2008
Paris Hilton........no thank you I'll pass!