—— The Identical Sep 05

—— Unforgettable: Season 2

Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel Reviews

John M

December 21, 2009
lots of squeaking my 8 year old daughter absolutely loved it!!
KJ P

October 3, 2010
There is not much to like about "the Squeakquel", other than the fact that your favourite chipmunks are back for another round. The idea is stale, but I had so much fun with the first one that I had to give a little credit to this very weak, but fun film. Alvin and the Chipmunks are actually overshadowed for a while by the new chipettes, which kind of dulls the film at points, but when they are on screen it's still a cute kids film. Still, I have to give it what I think it deserves overall, and the first one was much better, so this film falls directly in the middle of bad and good. There were portions that I enjoyed and was able to have some fun with, but others that just dragged on and made me hate it. This sequel was not worth making, but it's harmless!
Directors Cat
Directors Cat

October 28, 2011
The squeakquel to the boring crapfest that was the first Alvin and the Chipmunks is a major improvement. I can see believable brotherly love and chemistry in this film, in contrast to hyperactive, incredibly annoying and overall, plain bad role models in the first one. Better storyline and acting that can help parents get through the whole thing and hey, I think just maybe they'll like this one.
3niR
3niR

May 2, 2011
Adding female version was just lame. And look, one of them was wearing glasses. Where and how the hell did that happened? First one was convincing and fun but this? Forget it. And Dave's yell was irritating. Liked the songs though.
Alexander D

July 8, 2011
Not as good or funny as the original Chipmunk film. Some parts are funny, but mostly it's just more unoriginal songs...plus the annoying new Chippettes.
Luke B

July 5, 2011
A bit of stupid repetitive fun. We are introduced to the Chippettes and the entire story is pretty much the same. We find The Chipmunks now at school, and due to some embarrassment it seems as though Jason Lee found a loophole in his contract to be mostly absent. Considering the chipmunks became superstars at the end of the first film, it was strange to see them settling in at a school and auditioning for a school competition. It also gave a good message about sometimes helping others. Alvin is an annoying prick for most of it, but Theodore is just insanely cute. David Cross puts in the exact same performance as last time. Although it is harmless family fun, the stupidly dated movie references and same story mean that the only reason to see this is if you are a huge Chippettes fan.
DreamExtractor
DreamExtractor

February 28, 2011
This movie wasnt even fun for my kid brother. Alvin and the Chipmunks go to high school, ya thats the plot. Where do I begin, well first of all this one of the most stupidest, childish, creepiest, uinfunniest, laziest, and dumbest films in history. First of all they are so desperate for laughs they have to bring back David Cross and somehow he is one of those cliche and stupid villains in a movie that are just retarded. I mean they have Zachary Levi as the man human star, and about hes a nerd who wants the girl of his dreams, thats how stupid these writers are. I thought they were kids, why are they in high school? They copy many movie lines and that also shows how they can't create any original laughs. I mean seriously, I know its a kids film, but it was so pointless, so moronic, so not funny that I couldn't bear it any longer. Watch the movie and you'll see what im talking about.
deano
deano

March 12, 2009
This is perfect for the young families and animation fans as what we see the new characters The Chipettes joined in this sequel. Way cool!
Good entertaining, funny and very cute family film. The effects were top notch, and there were a few times I even laughed.
michael e.
michael e.

November 9, 2010
a damn good sequel and an improvement over the first
MANUGINO
MANUGINO

December 30, 2009
I thought this movie was good and it sure was funny too but the first one is still better and I don't understand why they have to be so short in run time.

Pop sensations Alvin, Simon and Theodore end up in the care of Dave Seville's twenty-something nephew Toby. The boys must put aside music super stardom to return to school, and are tasked with saving the school's music program by winning the $25,000 prize in a battle of the bands. But the Chipmunks unexpectedly meet their match in three singing chipmunks known as The Chipettes -- Brittany, Eleanor and Jeanette. Romantic and musical sparks are ignited when the Chipmunks and Chipettes square off.
Tim B

September 23, 2010
So, I now add this to the list of "movies I've seen a million times, because my kids watch it daily". I though I would review it, because these comprise the majority of the movies I see these days. it is just what you would expect. The characters are faithful to the cartoon from the early 80's (id, ego and superego). They are photo-realistic cartoon characters, interacting with live actors, and there are plenty of classic and contemporary pop numbers, sung at a higher than normal frequency. None of these make the movie particularly good, but hey, at least it's got Dave Cross in it (that's not the first time I've used that sentence in a review...man, he does some crappy movies).
Movie Monster
Movie Monster

July 15, 2010
THIS GROSSED 400 MILLION AT THE BOX OFFICE?!?! That just proves that families who spent their money on this piece of crap don't have a sense of movies.

If you adults grew up listening to the music and watching the cartoons of the Chipmunks, I really have no problem if you enjoyed it. But this film seems to have a drug that gets the younger viewers so high that they begin to love the movie so much it goes on to win the Kids' Choice Award for Favorite Movie. Here were the other nominees:

-X-Men Origins: Wolverine (Weak X-Men film but better than the Chipmunks.)
-New Moon (Lame Twilight movie but more exciting than this.)
-Transformers 2 (Way too violent and crude for the kiddies. It was also a weak sequel. But 1000x beter than this.)

The Chipmunks was the only one of the nominees to not be a PG-13 movie so it got away with winning. But if I were the kids who were voting, I'd go with Transformers 2.

Now heres what really ticked me off about this movie. Not only was this a commercial success, but this film is the reason why Disney's The Princess and the Frog went to DVD so quickly. A film with much better reviews made less money than the Chipmunks. I feel so bad for Disney.

Alvin and the Chipmunks 2 can be enjoyable to some, but I personally didn't like it. I didn't even finish it!!!
Richard C

July 7, 2010
C-
Simply Cinema
Simply Cinema

July 2, 2010
Well, I have seen some pretty bad movies in my day. I have seen some utter crap. But this film, isn't the worst. Not at all really. I don't really know what happened. Maybe it was the fact that I had such low expectations when I saw this film, but it certainly wasn't as bad as I was expecting. That doesn't mean I'm letting it off the hook, though. This film has its fair share of faults to go around, and some not even I could let slide. Today, I will dive into Alvin and The Chipmunks: The Squeakquel to find out why this film is so... harmless. Strange, predictable, but harmless.

First of all, I think I should let the creators of this film know that putting an actor/actresses voice through as many filters as you can muster doesn't making the lines they SAY any better. Some of the writing in this film was atrotious. Just like my spelling. Even when Dave, the Chipmunks gardian is in a hospital in Paris, France on the other side of the ocean, they can still fit in almost five, "AAALLLVIIIN!!!"'s in it. And in one seen, the Chipmunks get into a bowl in a blender and get it to spin, so they sing Flo Rida's 'Right Round'. I get it! They're spinning... so they sing... right round... ha?

Plus, it is so predictable. I was waiting through the entire film for someone to get hit in the nuts and berries. I waited, I knew it was coming, and right when I was just about to think this film was above that... BAM!!! Mini Motor bike in the Bad-ies balls. It's predictable because it's a photo copy of about every kids movie that ever existed exept with songs to get the kids hooked on the pop music nice and young. It could deffinitely be above that.

But in the end, I repeat, harmless. Its a decent film to watch with your kids. Its better than most of the kids films out on DVD now, (cough, cough, G-FORCE, cough, cough), and you won't find it to difficult to sit through, expecially if your expectations were as low as mine. Its a film that reminds me of the days when I was a little kid that could watch any kids movie around, and no matter how big a piece of crap it was, I could sit and laugh at somebody getting hit in the balls, laugh, and not give less of a cair.
LWOODS04
LWOODS04

December 11, 2009
CAST: Jason Lee, Zachary Levi, David Cross, Justin Long, Anna Faris, Amy poehler, Jesse McCartney, Christina Applegate, Matthew Gray Gubler, Kathryn Joosten

DIRECTED BY: Betty Thomas

SUMMARY: David Seville and chipmunks Alvin, Simon and Theodore, return in the sequel to lay waste to Seville's surroundings and sing in three-part harmony. Although plot details are being kept under wraps, the new movie will introduce the Chipmunks' female counterparts, the Chipettes.

MY THOUGHTS: I really didn't care for the first, and this one, although being better still wasn't great. But I did like it better then the first. Probably having the chipettes in this one helped. But it is a kids movie. So I am sure the kids loved it much more. I know my nieces and nephew did. That's why I got the pleasure of seeing it.. :/
Jason Lalljee
Jason Lalljee

April 21, 2010
Although it can be very cute at times, 'The Squeakquel' is just a pop- galore filled movie that takes out the innocence that made the original chipmunks classic.
Chris G

April 19, 2010
Alvin 2 is a remake of the first film, except Jason Lee was smart enough to make a contract fulfilment appearance. Dave gets hurt. the boys go to school. They meet girls. there's a sing off. Evil Ian (David Cross) is trying to be the white, no talent Barry Gordy. Oh, and Alvin plays football.

Once again, the kids will like it. I have to wonder a few things about this film. The first is that if an area produced sic talking chipmunks I would be looking for the leaking toxic waste bins. Second, instead of competing to save the schools music program why not have the two groups become one big super group like Blind Faith or Menudo.

Of course there are no answers to these burning questions. This is an empty, hallow film that just fails on all levels. It's CGI garbage, pure and simple. Made quickly to strike while the iron is hot. Nothing in this one unless you want the kids entertained for 90 minutes.
Jason O

March 7, 2010
Used to watch the cartoon as a kid, and I'm a fan of both movies. This one may not be quite as good as the original, but it's still flowing with coolness!
Pedro H

November 22, 2009
"The Shitkuel"

Well to tell you the truth, there is not much you have to say when the movie revolves around talking squirells who sing popular songs and have cool outfits, cus thats all you get from the movie, so take your kids and your pillow. na ok it isnt that bad.

Simon: I think you should do the show with us Friday night, for Theodore's sake
Megan S

January 28, 2010
I only saw this because I was chaperoning a trip for the Boys and Girls club. I hadn't seen the first one before I saw this. It was cute enough for a silly kids movie.