Dune Reviews

½ December 17, 2012
Although there does appear to be a new version of Dune coming out in 2012, the movie trailer associated with this listing on flixster (at least at the time of this writing) is for "Frank Herbert's Dune," produced as a miniseries on the Sci-Fi Channel in 2000. I just watched this version once again, and as there appears to be no listing for it on flixter (again, at least at the time of this writing), I will go ahead and review it here:

The theatrical stage effects, such as dropping the lighting and turning on a spot light, do create a startling contrast to the other CGI effects in the film, shocking you out of the story and reminding you that you are watching a performance. The acting by Ian McNeice as the Baron Herkonnen is a bit over the top at times, and his use of rhyme is a bit of an annoyance. Despite all of this, however, I absolutely loved this film. To be sure, perhaps because it's length allows it to develop the story and the characters much more fully, it completely blows David Lynch's version of Dune out of the water - and I am a David Lynch fan. This is one of those novels that I keep meaning to read, but have not yet managed to get around to. But if this film is only half as good as the novel, I definitely need to read it. All in all, this film is definitely worth buying (preferably in the "director's cut" version). (A)
April 2, 2015
Truly an amazing experience. great acting, fantastic character development. This is worthy of Dune.
March 25, 2015
This is a mistake. This movie (Dune) was made in 2000, not 2014.
½ August 31, 2014
I assume RT made a mistake on the year and it's supposed to say 2000....

Anyway, this is the second major adaptation of Dune and it's both better and worse than the 1984 version. It's better in that there's none of the WTF Lynchian moments (milking a cat? Feyd Rautha's codpiece? Harkonnen's pustules?) and being a mini-series it is able to pace itself better. The problem is everything else. The acting is indifferent and removed, the CGI makes the world of Arrakis feel fake and insubstantial and there's just nothing remotely exciting in there. It's an honest adaptation, but it barely caught my attention while it ran in the background.
July 27, 2014
I actually own this and it is, by far, superior to Delorentis version.
December 7, 2013
oh my god is this real? awesome! i hope they don't screw it tho ,because is like , the best sci fi ever , so if they are going to make it just for the money and not for the "fingerprint" they could make in the history of film industry with a movie with this precedents , hope good luck to the producers,director and writers with this one!
March 19, 2013
this movie should NOT be remade. it will fail at the box office compared to the amount it will cost to produce, market and distribute.
May 6, 2012
I heard this project was cancelled.