• PG-13, 1 hr. 49 min.

Forever Strong Reviews

February 26, 2014
Sports Cliche: the movie
June 5, 2014
I really enjoyed this film. it's great to see movies that show us how small pockets of honor and strength can permeate life. well done.
February 11, 2014
No Academy Awards for acting in this one, but a great meaning based around true events carry the movie.
BatMime
November 10, 2013
Who cares if you've seen this story told a million times before, it actually succeeds at what it sets out to do - uplift you and entertain you. It's competent filmmaking and its purpose is achieved by fade out.
Bengel W.
October 21, 2013
Americans, drink, bad parenting and a great movie is on the screen. Rugby, that fine 1823 British game, gets a superb photographic following capturing the real men swapping ball and knuckling under to a regime of great sportsmanship. This film is strongly scripted giving the actors characters that will penetrate your heart and give you a great reason for tears. Nibbles: Welsh rabbit.
August 24, 2013
not really original and far too clicheed, it bears its oversentimentality like a crown. BUt,. it is great fun to watch, and with the exception of Neal McDonough, also well acted. No idea what happened there, but ididnt see the stern father. i saw no father figure at all... the rest of the cast is great though, and i liked that it is based on real events. And of course because it about RUGBYYY
August 5, 2013
Sean Faris tiene carisma para este tipo de películas, una buena película sobre luchar con disciplina por tus sueños
July 30, 2013
Seriously disrespectful for a bunch of nobody Americans to perform a Haka just because they made a film about rugby. What a load of absolute crap, terrible acting. None of them would even make C grade teams in New Zealand, just rubbish.
June 16, 2013
Despite the heavy criticism this film is receiving, i would argue that it's definitely worth more than a "4.6/10". People have commented on the cliche's used, one's that are stereotypical to that of an 'inspirational' sports film. Every film nowadays has its cliche's, and similarities. It is completely unrealistic to expect each and every production to be entirely different. I realize that a 'critics' job is of course to criticize films, look at it from a more in-depth angle, and obviously by doing so; the chances are you'll find a lot of things within a film that could be improved. But, the general public aren't going to do that, and yet you display your views in such a confident way that makes you look pompous. Whether or not this is your intention, i do not know. Basically, overall i don't see how this film deserves such a low rating when the majority of people enjoyed it. It should not be brought down so low purely because critics have ripped it apart, from a viewpoint that will not be used by many.
May 18, 2013
You do not have to know anything about rugby to enjoy this movie because the sport is only the vehicle through which director Little tells a tale of growth of spirit and courage to do the right things. Based on truth, the story is cliched but effective. The acting is wonderful all around. The message of Coach Gelwix is relevant and powerful. Thoroughly enjoyed this.
May 3, 2013
It's a decent watch, but know right from the get go it pretty much hits every single sports movie cliche it can. It also feels like one of those GOD movies, but religion isn't a factor at all...it just feels like one of those Christian films.

The lead character is okay, as half the film he's a punk and you want to smack him...and then he magically turns into a team player. That shift was an awful turn, as it literally happens over night and it's so unbelievable. But the last half of the film he;s more tolerable.

I liked most of the supporting cast, but some are really wasted. The parents seem to just vanish for big chunks of the film, and Sean Astin is really good be he too just exits the film at one point.

I love me some Arielle Kebbel, but the way she falls for the lead guy is downright repulsive. He's basically an a-hole and she swoons? Come on. That so-so love story never really goes anywhere, and I just couldn't believe she would fall for such a douche that quickly.

Not a bad watch for a rainy day, but watch any sports movie and you'll have seen everything before.
April 14, 2013
There's really nothing more that I despise than cheap sentimentality. It makes me want to vomit. 'Forever Strong' is about Rugby and how it, supposedly, can inspire people and make them better. Okay, I completely agree with that. However, this film lives in a world where someone crying needs to be supported by a sappy music cue.

Rick Penning(Sean Farris, you'll remember him from the equally nauseating film, 'Never Back Down') is a hot headed, selfish rugby player who gets drunk and gets into an accident, causing near fatal damage to his girlfriend, who lands in a mesh of barbed wire. Of course, we see the girl, laying in bed soon after with only a couple of obviously fake scratches on her face. Oh, and she's still going through the hassle of putting make up on and doing her hair perfectly, even though, she's probably been ordered to stay in bed. Already, we see that the filmmakers don't take this seriously. Oh, Rick and his dad(Neal McDonough) don't have a good relationship. In case you were on the edge of your seat, they settle things in the end. Imagine that.

The movie's just so incredibly predictable. Of course, he's gonna land in juvinile hall and his supervisor, Marcus(Sean Astin) suggests he plays with the Highland Rugby team. Rick goes, thinking he'll have a shorter sentence by sucking up to Marcus(who gets an incredibly small amount of screen time). Of course, we already know that he's going to start out by hating it. And of course, it's going to end up inspiring him to stop drinking and become a better person. By the end, they all cry because they won the damn game, the music swells, he gets the girl, his mom is proud of him, he's got new friends. How inspirational. Not really.

There's an entire scene where the team prays in the locker room, asking the Lord to help them to play well. It's supposed to touch us and make us realize that public prayer should be accepted and used(the movie is incredibly Republican). Okay, I really don't think that God cares about their pathetic Rugby game. I'm pretty sure that God's more preoccupied with, you know, that little war that's going on in the middle east. Call me crazy.

Well, it's impossible to think that, though the movie is about Rugby, little care has been put into filming and editing the actual sequences of the game. The filmmakers took a whole bunch of phony footage and chopped it together in order to try and manipulate the audience into thinking that there's something going on. I hate space filling. It's appalling and offensive. Talking down to the audience is the number one no-no of filmmaking, and this movie flaunts itself in it.

The movie is based on actual events, but it's safe to say that the actual story is probably more interesting than the one we've been presented with. The movie is badly written, badly acted, badly filmed, badly edited, and horribly presented. Don't waste your time. You've seen this movie before; about 3 dozen times before. This one is no better.
December 31, 2012
Forever Strong starts off good, but then it falls into a pit of sports movie clichés and isn't able to climb back out of it. This is a well-crafted movie with good acting, it just has a weak story that we've all seen a dozen times. It also tries very hard to make rugby seem cool and important, but I get the feeling that only rugby fans will buy into that. I wanted to like it, but this movie bored me.
September 3, 2012
Critics suck! How could you not like the movie?!
August 21, 2012
liked the philosophy :)
May 20, 2009
Pretty good Rugby flick. A bit cliched & cheesy at times, but still enjoyable.
July 15, 2012
Watched it with my youngest son....very inspirational!!!
May 25, 2012
The critics may have hated "Forever Strong," but I found it to be a moving sports drama that explores an important theme that has often been left out - the effect of strong moral behavior on a team's success. Coach Larry Gelwix has accomplished incredible feats as a result of his strong code of ethics and I'm thankful that his story has become accessible through this film. Who knew that there was more to Gary Cole than "Office Space"? He was fantastic, giving a very heartfelt performance. I loved all of the Christian values that his character had, and belief that rugby is not about building a strong team, but about building men that are strong in character. I was also really buying into Sean Astin's performance. I like that this film showed underage drinking and drugs in a negative light, as most films glamourize it and add to our country's moral downfall. Although I found much of Sean Faris' acting to be overdramatic or over the top, his character had a nice transformation (in spite of his acting) and I could truly feel the change of heart by the end of the film. Neal McDonough was also pretty hit or miss, creating the emotional climax of the film with that one tear, but also feeling WAY overacted in the first half of the movie. "Forever Strong" is a film that can be enjoyed by families, and teach a lot, too. With intense rugby action enhanced by great cinematography and a story that you desperately want to resolve the right way, this success story of Larry Gelwix's morally driven coaching style will leave you satisfied.