19% Transcendence Apr 18

100% Orphan Black: Season 2
96% Silicon Valley: Season 1

Anna Christie Reviews

May 1, 2013
Garbo doesn't need to talk, her face says it all. She acts beautifully, no fancy dresses are needed. An elegance so natural, not practised. Simply wonderful.
November 19, 2012
For Garbo fans and for those interested in Pre-Code movies and in the Silent-Talkie transition. Very interesting movie and memorable scene with the "I vant a visky and ginger ale!" great great greta!
May 6, 2012
Garbo is great, but Marie Dressler stole the thing.
moviesobsessedMilly
July 7, 2008
JediAlex
October 6, 2010
I saw the German version of this film; Garbo said that she felt that it was better than the English version. If Garbo said it's the best, it's the best. And indeed, this was a marvelous performance from her. Every movement and subtle expression is almost entrancing. The story is a good one as well - the father and his high expectations of his long-lost daughter. I recommend this one for sure!
vincent
July 14, 2010
Garbo's oscar nominated performance, in his first talkie movie, it was a real and magnetic performance at the time that today is one of the most powerful performances by an actress ever.
A magnificent story and a melodrama masterpiece.
MissGolightly2
July 30, 2009
So this was my introduction to Greta Garbo & obviously the worlds in the 30's. Wonderful pre-code hay's/hollywood film. Greta Garbo's character as 'Anna Christie' is tragically beautiful. Marie Dressler also gives a memorable performance as well.
March 4, 2008
Kind of hard for me to hear, but Greta Garbo is very good in it.
sepio41
October 28, 2008
garbo's sound film debut came with the 1930 adaptation of o'neill's play about a swedish prostitute trying to reform her life. garbo would also film an all german version of this property.
August 4, 2008
its Garbo what more needs to be said
MikeKiddo
July 8, 2008
Uneventful, completely unlikeable characters and lacks any kind of pace, but I'd watch Garbo in anything so I guess it's OK. Marie Dressler was genius too.
MECreviews
September 22, 2006
I did not really like this movie.
PinkyMonroe
November 22, 2007
Great Film! Greta is so beautiful in this film
dietmountaindew
dietmountaindew

October 19, 2007
the first garbo sound flick adapted from eugene o'nell's cynical story about a prostitute. garbo plays low-life women in the burgeoning period of her sound stage such as susan leonix: her rise and fall, later she's got more polished into those roles of tragic divine creatures such as camille, mata hari, anna karenia, queen christina and the ballerina in grand hotel...etc....anna christie might reflect the ambivalent gender-ambiguity on the real life garbo with her babbling men-hating remarks. "oh! men! all these men! i hate them! " that concides with the mannish side of garbo that manifests severe grittiness. as the one man who captures her heart emerges, she represses her mannishness into oblivion then she transforms into the affectionate ingenune who yearns for love at any cost that is the pattern of my so called "garbo cinema romances" except garbo's breakthrough into sound with her husky idiocyncratic voice and her innovative presence. the movie's aestheticism is mainly attributed to its elaborated dialogues with the craftmanship of master eugene o'nell, tinted with literature catharsis full of human-concerned pathos toward its characters. of course, the proper casting is also one of major factor which adorns the movie. as garbo utters "gif me a visky, ginger ale on the side, and don' be stingy, baby, " anyone would turn around and drawed by this raw magnetic androgynous voice then observe upon her statuesque facial contour with awe.
June 2, 2007
German version is better than the English, particularly "Marthy."
April 26, 2007
Garbo is just WONDERFUL!!! Love it!
Svengallia
March 28, 2007
gillianren
March 23, 2007
Nearly 80 years later, this film's two-word campaign is still remembered. People may not remember what the movie's about, but I just watched it, and I'm still not entirely sure myself.

Only part of the problem is Battling Accents Syndrome. Garbo, of course, has a Swedish accent. Go figure. Her father has a Swedish accent, too, of course. Her boyfriend has an Irish one. And Martha has a drunken one. And, essentially, there's our cast. I didn't actually need subtitles, but accents don't usually throw me much unless they're much thicker.

The Code and this movie debuted in the same year, though the Code would not be strictly enforced much for another four. This is very clearly a pre-Code movie, given its frank depiction of drunkenness and its . . . blatant references toward sex at the end of the movie that would give away the big secret. A scant five years later, this film could not have been made.

Which, I think, shows one of the great failings of the Code. The intention was to have every movie made be a movie you could see with your children, which is a ridiculous standard. You wouldn't take your child to see the play upon which this film is based, or indeed any Eugene O'Neill play. That would be foolish of you. Yet somehow, you'd never want to see a movie without your kids, apparently.

Much great literature is as great as it is because it explores more controversial themes. However, under the Code, those themes could not be so much as mentioned, much less portrayed onscreen for an hour and a half or two hours. The problems between Anna and her father and her boyfriend aren't innocent. They're rough and complicated, as are the people themselves. But the Code does not make allowances for that. According to the Code, we are all intended to be the Hardys, whose problems can be solved easily and quickly, in time for Andy to take his best girl out. (I guess. I've never actually seen an Andy Hardy movie.) It's not that the world back then was simpler. It's that complications weren't allowed on the screen.
SarahJoyFrost
December 11, 2006
i would like to see this