Restraint Reviews

½ July 9, 2011
Like many I expected just a cheap little thriller. Instead I got a very in depth character study. Each of the three protagonists are fleshed out and sometimes in subtle ways. Two lovers on the run take a man hostage in his home. The man is agoraphobic and his fiance is mysteriously absent. As the two lovers hide out, tension begins to grow as the girl feels for the hostage. It soon becomes clear that she has been dragged along in this road trip of destruction as a way to escape her life as a stripper. It doesn't help that her boyfriend has some serious psychological and rage issues. He begins getting paranoid and this paranoia drives away his girl. Soon she is needed to dress up as the hostage's fiance in order to claim his trust fund. This shows her a glimpse of the life she dreams of. I loved the way the characters gradually switched roles, each one at some point is a victim. The tension mounts and the film becomes somewhat chilling. The real horror lies with not only the characters' actions, but their mental states and how they manipulate others, whether through anger, pity, or lust. A terrific movie that grabbed me and exceeded my expectations at every turn.
February 2, 2011
Definitely did not take the turn I thought it would. I thought this was a really good movie, kept you guessing, and was entertaining. Definitely an easy watch. I personally didn't think the ending was confusing at all. I thought that it took a fantastic, and unexpected turn. A twisted little film.
½ December 26, 2010
Despite the fact that I really only watched this because Teresa Palmer was in it (gorgeous) it was a surprisingly effective thriller thanks to good performances and a tense screenplay. Nothing is ever clear cut and plenty of times I was left questioning the motives of the characters. That makes for an entertaining 90 minutes of suspense and mayhem. It's a movie most people probably have not heard of, but if you get the chance check it out.
½ December 8, 2008
Restraint is a thriller done right. Its plot seems simple, with a young couple on the run from the police invading a man's home and holding him hostage. But there are many wrinkles that constantly redefine the roles of the characters and keep the story interesting.

All the actors do a nice job with their roles. Teresa Palmer is beautiful and brings a note of vulnerability to the movie. Stephen Moyer's character is the most dynamic, as he makes Andrew's agoraphobia believable. Nate Jones provides most of the movie's excitement, but at times his character is a bit over the top.

Restraint is the best thriller that I've seen since Awake. It's a perfect example of how to keep the audience engaged with twists and turns without making the movie seem unbelievable.
½ September 26, 2011
An excellent\interesting suspesnse flick. Up there with "Funny Games" and "Open House."
October 8, 2011
For what appeared to be a "throw-away-thriller", Restraint is bold and unique. The cast is small, but quality over quantity prevails. Teresa Palmer is absolutely gorgeous and straddles the perfect line between ignorant hussy and obedient lover. The acting could have easily ruined this film, especially with the potential for generic criminals. However Travis Fimmel constantly sells his role. The ability of the director to keep the viewer guessing sets this film apart. So many eerie moments occur that there is always a sense of anything goes until the very last frame of the film. I am completely taken aback by how great this film, despite the very low expectations I had placed upon it.
iLeo
December 3, 2008
Quite interesting! Good movie.
July 29, 2012
I got a kick from thick Aussie accents and slang, but aside from that... well this thriller wasn't that much thrilling despite good reviews. The story is pretty good and all the ingredients are certainly there, but the first-time director doesn't seem to have a good sense of timing or how to maintain suspense.
May 30, 2010
I think Stephen Moyer (True Blood) plays Agrophobic (is that right the fear of going outside) Andrew. Bonnie & Clyde type, Couple on the run body in Car, can?t remember how they came upon the house but Take him hostage. Lame, Kinda boring, Not really entertaining other than I think its from Australia or at least the Guy Ron (aka Travis Fimmel from The Beast that starred Patrick Swayze) was D
½ August 20, 2009
Not too bad. There were very thick Australian accents and there were some things I couldn't understand. Teresa Palmer is very sexy in this movie and the 2 guys play their roles well. It is easy to get behind one of the 2 guys in this movie and you hope that something happens...I will leave it there.

I didn't really like the ending, but that seems to happen a lot...
½ September 21, 2008
This movie wasn't too bad. They take an agoraphobic hostage, throw in a few twists makes for a decent viewing.
Robbanflix
August 24, 2008
Not the best thriller i have seen but still a decent B movie. Story follows a hostage drama in Australia. Unknown actors to me but fair acting i thought.
½ June 11, 2014
I liked this Aussie thriller even though I saw the end coming from far away.
May 26, 2014
I found myself like most, rooting for the good guy but I could see how some would hate the ending. Let's just say it gets you rethinking about expectations we have but movies don't always portray good and bad guys with the way they can be in real life. Before you immediately decide how you feel about the ending... don't think of it as just a twisted turn for the sake of a reaction. I think of it as realistic and that certain kinds of men shouldn't be used so often as a savior for a woman in cinema. I possibly thought too much of it... but honestly my first reaction was,"What, are you kidding me??" and then changed to,"Well the expected ending would have tied things up but then would be cheesy and following most movie formulas..."
July 3, 2013
Very enjoyable and unpredictable plot. Great acting all around. Stephen Moyer is amazing as the seemingly innocuous hostage who manages to turn the tables on his kidnappers. Teresa Palmer walked a thin line between low class criminal and a woman attracted to her hostage. The feeling is returd by Moyer's character but with a sick and interesting end.
½ March 11, 2012
Just when I thought I figured the plot out it flipped the script on me. That Teresa Palmer is scorching hot also.
November 30, 2011
Cheap thrills that amount to...not much. Except Teresa Palmer.
October 8, 2011
½ September 26, 2011
½ August 22, 2011
With a choppy screenplay, dull setting, forced atmosphere, and poor performances, this psychological thriller forgets to keep one interested.