• PG-13, 1 hr. 40 min.

87% The Strain: Season 1
—— Unforgettable: Season 2

Last Ride Reviews

February 16, 2014
In "Last Ride," Kev(Hugo Weaving) travels through Australia with his young son Chook(Tom Russell), even making himself somewhat presentable at a pit stop. That's maybe because their next stop is to see Maryanne(Anita Hegh), an old friend, who Kev tells his son not to let slip anything about Max(John Brumpton). In any case, she lets them stay for breakfast and she has sex with Kev on the condition that they do not stay any longer. Before they leave, Kev misleads her that they are going to Adelaide...

While not entirely anything new storywise and dragging towards its inevitable conclusion, "Last Ride" does have some things going for it like great cinematography, not only in everyday scenes, but also in how it captures the spectacular scenery of the Australian outback. The movie also has a fine way of gradually dispensing information and backstory.(Unlike say the impossibility of Charlie Rose being shown in a bar in "Breaking Bad.") And Hugo Weaving is excellent playing a mostly dispicable man(about 90 to 95% worthless, even after a revelation. Your mileage may vary.) who is in danger of passing down his violent ways to his son.(Chook using makeup and lipstick is harmless, so don't worry about it.) But Weaving is too good, leaning on Kev's worst traits which does not explain any attraction women have for him, nor any other kind of human being.
Christopher H

May 15, 2010
Visually striking and emotionally in tune, "Last Ride" takes a father and son road trip and puts it on the backdrop of the Australian outback. Not quite the normal road trip adventure, Kev (Hugo Weaving) is on the run from the law for reasons we're not privy to immediately while his son Chook (Tom Russell) is along for the ride, with nowhere else to go. Hugo Weaving dominates this performance, bringing to life this tortured ex-convict, who may be rough with his son, but deep down shows true affections. Tom Russell, a relatively newcomer to film captures the innocence and naivete of this role, but also grabs a hold of the tougher scenes and doesn't let go. There's a subtle nature to Glendyn Ivin's first feature length film, with a thin line between what could happen and what does happen as we travel across back roads with these characters. With one of the most gorgeous visual experiences laid out in the form of the vast flat salt lake, Lake Gairdner, "Last Ride" stays with you well after the credits roll thanks to cinematography from Grieg Fraser. Capturing one of the most brilliant and devastating endings to a film in recent memory, there's a poetic vibe that resonates from "Last Ride" and sets the bar indefinitely higher for future dramatic films.
April 26, 2014
Absolutely mesmerizing. A brilliant film :)
Hal
March 18, 2014
Well made, tense father & son on the lam film, set in contemporary Australia's outback.

February 16, 2014

July 26, 2013
Surprisingly great film. Though i didn't expect much.
Harsh
June 23, 2013
Quality production and good acting but ultimately just a grim narrative with no real message
The Critic
June 17, 2013
Last Ride (2009): This is essentially a two-man show, relying heavily on its central figures to absorb an audiences' attention, and with Hugo Weaving and newcomer Tom Russell in these roles of a man on the run with his imaginative ten-year-old son in tow, we're in safe hands.

The screenplay, based on Denise Young's novel, doesn't tread any new territory, but Glendyn Ivin's beautifully photographed and solidly performed feature film debut, gradually captivates and has a lot to say about the differing aspects of manhood in contemporary Australia.
June 15, 2013
Excellent film @Glendyn_Ivin #sbsfilm thoughtful, heartfelt, disturbing
May 22, 2013
Great performances from Weaving and Russell, with a pretty satisfying (albeit somewhat disturbing) reveal towards the end. Some beautiful camera work too, especially in the second half of the film.
April 6, 2013
A young man learns to swim from his otherwise useless father. The Australian outback co-stars.
February 17, 2013
An interesting look into domestic abuse, but left a sour taste.
January 30, 2013
If you've ever had a tumultuous relationship with your father but still have love for him you will understand this film. Brilliant.
David S.
January 26, 2013
Ok movie. Nothing special.
January 3, 2013
Decent acting but slow and predictable.
January 1, 2013
like watching a crack addicted version of Ed O‚(TM)Neill‚(TM)s Dutch.

29 December 2012, I drove from Tampa FL to my home in Apex NC. I was able to complete the trip in 10 hours starting from 7 AM and finishing at 5 PM ET. I know what you are thinking, ‚Damn that is fast‚?. You‚(TM)re damn right. The trip completely exhausted my physically energy. Plus I left my mother, sister, and two nieces. Let‚(TM)s just say, I was tiny sad too. I decided my relaxation would be to watch the Australian movie Last Ride. By the end of the movie, I was balancing myself on the edge of falling into the fetal position crying a river. Of course, I didn‚(TM)t. I‚(TM)m a MAN. Real men only cry to movies like Last of the Mohicans, Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, and Forrest Gump. Right?

Last Ride placed my emotional state on 90 minute roller coaster. Ex-con Kev (Hugo Weaving) is forced to escape with his preteen son Chook (Tom Russell) deep into the bush of Australia. The short adventure allows Kev to roughly guide Chook through many life lessons. Unknowingly father saves his son‚(TM)s life.

Weaving and Russell perfectly complement each other in every scene that dramatically flip from delight to pure pain. Their chemistry is just darn right perfect. Everyone remembers Hugo Weaving as cool shades Agent Smith from the Matrix Trilogy, however I will remember him from this performance. If you want to fill 90 minutes of your life with a drama adventure, check this movie out.
July 8, 2012
Amazing performances by Hugo Weaving and Tom Russell in this intense father-son road movie. Beautiful imagery also.
December 16, 2012
Australia has gone through a bit of a crime movie boom in recent years (Animal Kingdom, Snowtown Murders, etc.), and Last Ride definitely stands near the head of the pack. It's an evocative run-away movie, not unlike Badlands, that's able to communicate so much more through it majestic landscapes than it does in it's otherwise tired premise. I think we can all be thankful that Hugo Weaving can find time in his schedule to do modestly budgeted indie fare too, as he's simply brilliant here as a career criminal father. Underdeveloped in some areas, but at it's best Last Ride certainly feels a bit transgressive.
November 23, 2012
Hugo Weaving gives a great performance (of course) as a brutal hoodlum on the run with his young son. The setting in the Austrailian Outback and the acting raises this above melodrama as Weaving gives complexity to what could have been a one dimensional role.