Disney Prepping a Tron: Legacy Sequel?

Summary

Could we be seeing a third "Tron" movie soon? That's the inside scoop from sources at Ain't It Cool News. Back to Article

Comments

rle4lunch

Chad W

Well, if they do go with this, and there are SO many possible avenues to explore, make the damn thing exciting! I loved (and hated some) of the visuals of Legacy, but damn it was boring..

Jan 13 - 05:18 AM

Confounded

Matthew Bertram

I hate to call it 'boring.' I'd agree to 'disconnected.' Personally, I loved it, but I'm so nostalgically in love with the original that I felt a lot more than a normal moviegoer would. And I accept that.

I'm all for a sequel. Even though I really am a fan of Legacy, that doesn't mean I wouldn't want some more heart in the next installment. Plus, Cillian Murphy was completely wasted in Legacy. I'd love to see Dilinger's son get his hands dirty. And yes, I want more of the Tron character. The movie is named after him, after all. And Cindy Morgan!

Jan 13 - 06:12 AM

dudemeister

dude meister

I believe Olivia Wilde said we're gonna see more of Murphy on an RT interview a which back. Legacy was kinda disappointing, but I'm game for a sequel. They obviously can't keep using the 'get to the portal' story, plus I think the story of the Isos is still unfinished

Jan 13 - 06:56 AM

King Crunk

I agree that Cillian Murphy was ludircrously wasted. I mean probably the most pointless casting I have ever seen in a film. Murphy is a fantastic actor, and he is literally in one scene in the movie, with like eight lines of dialogue. I was expecting him to show up later on in the movie somehow, but he never did, was not even so much as mentioned. Horrible waste of talent.

Jan 13 - 08:32 AM

RamALamADingDong

That Guy

From what I read, Murphy was cast and uncredited in Legacy so it could be the set up for a possible sequel should they do it. Kind of like having Billy Dee Williams play Harvey Dent in the original Batman. Seemingly waste him in the first so there's less setting up in the sequel.

Jan 13 - 08:42 AM

Elixor

Daniel Klooster

From what I read Cilian Murphy wasn't able to do the movie, but the director wanted him in. They ended up working out small cameo role for him. They wanted him for a larger role (not sure what exactly), but it didn't work out. But yes, he's very set up for a sequel if it's done.

Jan 13 - 11:02 AM

dj Mark

Mark Marquis

Yeah, I think his cameo at the start of the film is similar to Zod, Ursa, and Non appearing at the beginning of Superman I. The payoff comes later. Hopefully with a better story.

Jan 13 - 11:39 AM

rle4lunch

Chad W

Maybe not boring, but definitely 'soulless'... It had such a short 'build up' to the story, then when Sam gets into the program it took him all of 30 seconds to grasp the whole thing as 'normal'. The arena was boring, especially the disc scenes. I loved the IMAX viewing of it. I hated how cartoony CLU was in some scenes.. And then CLU was amazing in others. This movie also had no emotional build up to it. I think the Quorra storyline has a lot of potential around it, so if they go ahead and put out another one, they really need to tighten it up, make the action scenes actually suspenseful, and quit flip flopping on the good/bad CGI with CLU and/or similar characters that might be used...

I really, really want to like Legacy, and I do to a certain extent, but man, I was hoping for so much more. They had 30 years to make something spectacular. 30 years! and they blew it to a certain extent..

Jan 13 - 03:00 PM

futures.

Matt Smith

Bring on more Cillian Murphy! He will make a great villain in the next movie

Jan 13 - 07:17 AM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Meh, didn't think it was good enough for a sequal, but not bad enough for me to be offended by the idea of one.

Jan 13 - 07:32 AM

rle4lunch

Chad W

Way to take a side on this one bigbro. lmao.

Jan 13 - 12:09 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

That's just how I feel. I knew it was going to be controversial :)

Jan 13 - 03:41 PM

Vortex&Vertigo

Joel Feliciano

wow, it has been a long time since I have posted in RT so first dammit RT do something with the spambots NOW! second...if they could just bring Michael Sheen's character back, pull a phoenix or something cause besides the fx's and the killer score; Michael Sheen was the best thing on the movie oh and just watching Olivia Wilde in that tight suit was good also.

Jan 13 - 08:20 AM

King Crunk

What are they going to do without The Dude???!?!?!

Jan 13 - 08:30 AM

Confounded

Matthew Bertram

That's the beauty of programming. None of them are human, so they can always come back. It won't be the actual Kevin Flynn, but you can bring Bridges back in some form within the Grid. I'm sure it wouldn't be too challenging.

Jan 13 - 08:52 AM

dudemeister

dude meister

Indeed. I not counting Kevin Flynn out just yet

Jan 13 - 10:03 AM

Confounded

Matthew Bertram

In the end, I wouldn't be opposed to seeing Flynn as the new MCP. Sam takes care of Encom in the real world, and Kevin ensures the free system on the Grid.

And then Quorra gives birth to some kind of disease-free Jesus baby. OK, that might be stretching it.

Jan 13 - 10:50 AM

@Confounded/dudemeister

That's true, but I cannot help but think Jeff Bridges will not want to be doing these films for another ten years or so; he already is quite old. And they cannot just get a body stand in to try and mimic him with the performance capture, that would be disrespectful to him.

Jan 13 - 10:56 AM

dudemeister

dude meister

That's a good point, and a body stand-in would truly be a slap in the face to the great Bridges. But you never know, since Bridges has such a positive attitude

Jan 14 - 08:37 AM

Jan 14 - 08:37 AM

Elixor

Daniel Klooster

Jan 13 - 11:02 AM

doomzdavo

Doomz Davo

Over 20 years for the first sequel. Under 20 minutes for the second.

Jan 13 - 11:26 AM

dj Mark

Mark Marquis

Jan 13 - 11:39 AM

rle4lunch

Chad W

Way to take a side on this one bigbro. lmao.

Jan 13 - 12:09 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

That's just how I feel. I knew it was going to be controversial :)

Jan 13 - 03:41 PM

Michael M.

Michael Morse

Yes, they should make a sequel because Legacy was soooo successful, amirite? Oh wait...it hasn't made its budget back in the U.S., plus marketing, it hasn't recouped globally. Hey Disney, unless you like throwing money away at bad movies, the audiences aren't interested enough, they weren't in 1982, and aren't now...

Jan 13 - 02:26 PM