Tron Legacy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Tron Legacy Reviews

May 25, 2016
There are things to really like about Tron: Legacy. For starters, I appreciate the continuity of the franchise by bringing back Jeff Bridges and Bruce Boxleitner. Both also deserve extra credit for portraying two characters, especially Bridges since he's a main character. The music is very fitting for this universe; Daft Punk might not be the most conventional choice to write a film score, but they didn't disappoint with this one. The most impressive part of this movie was its visual effects. The bike sequences and disk fights were fun to watch. Now, although this movie was fun to look at and listen to, it was a challenge to get through. The middle act is where things started to go downhill because the action slowed down and the "story" picked up. The plot was very dull, and the characters were duller. I honestly didn't care about the fates of any of the characters because they weren't very fleshed out at all, so it was hard to take the climax of the movie very seriously. That being said, this is a harmless movie that you can justify watching with the family, but don't expect anything memorable.
May 8, 2016
The film's story was good and the visuals were amazing, but the movie felt boring and tiresome.
April 21, 2016
Great fun, and a worthy addition to the franchise.
April 9, 2016
This is the best movie I've ever seen. Just the soundtrack by Daft Punk is enough, but that's not all this movie gives. The effects are beautiful, beating many of todays big movies. Kids will love it, and adults will remember the first movie. Must watch movie
½ December 12, 2010
Post-produced to a level that competes with an honestly trying story, this attempts to duplicate the effect of the original by going farther and cleaner down the computer effects line than we're used to, but the dazzling visuals are so polished that it doesn't evoke much excitement, sometimes drowning out the drama, humor and even the action.
½ December 17, 2010
Saw it on IMAX 3D. VFX=awesome. Action and fight scenes=awesome. Sound=super awesome. Story and dialogue=ok.
March 23, 2011
Wait, I didn't just watch a really long 5ive gum commercial? But i PAID for a ticket to a 2-hour 5ive gum commercial.
½ April 5, 2016
This movie was amazing ,but the best part was the soundtrack daft punk is my favorite artist ever.
November 13, 2011
- I may be in the minority here, but I loved this film. I have seen it a few times now. The Visuals are absolutely outstanding, and I like Bridges a lot and Olivia Wilde is great. It alss has a great score by Daft Punk. A great film if in the mood for a big Hollywood special effects movies.

- I liked this one even more the 2nd time around. The visuals are outstanding, and look especially good on Blu-ray. The story isn't strong, but the visuals kept me entertained. Michael Sheen is hilarious in an over the top supporting role. Give it a try!

- Fantastic visuals and mediocre story. If you have any interest in seeing this at all, it must be done in theatres. Great soundtrack by Daft Punk though. For SFX fans mostly.
½ April 1, 2016
Imaginative narrative with super technical wizardry. Succeeds in what it set out to be.
I watched it on small screen but effects would have been incredible in a
theatre.
Watch for Michael Sheen as character like someone out of Rocky Horror - even refers to Sam (Garrett Hedllund) as "pretty miss"!
November 12, 2012
Not half bad actually. Of course this movie is going to be a candy store for your optical, but that's what made Tron (1982) so great. Legacy takes place about twenty-some years after the first and centers this time around Sam Flynn, the son of Kevin. After finding clues to his dads disappearance, Sam ends up in the grid which is now very much more colorful, earth-like, and dazzling. The film brings back Jeff Bridges, who is always a treat to watch and hauls in newcomer Olivia Wilde who has potential to make her way into more films. The music score by tech duo Daft Punk is very immersing into the world of Tron and the music and visuals are able to beautifully transition with each other. What could have used a bit of work on is the story which seems to blend Gladiator with Escape from New York. The acting's as good as it can get so I won't complain on that part. If you're a Friday night movie goer who's looking for some eye-hungry visuals and great visual effects, Tron Legacy is at the top
January 28, 2013
It has its flaws, but Tron Legacy proves that the series can have 3-dimentional characters and human emotions, something that the first Tron didn't do. With its groundbreaking special effects, stellar cast & acting, and a story that never forgets its characters, it is definitely a movie worth seeing.
September 16, 2014
83%
The special effects may overtake character development, but Tron Legacy is exceedingly entertaining sci-fi fun.

V: 61%
December 25, 2015
Some movies are best enjoyed by turning your brain off and enjoying the visuals and action scenes of a movie. That being said, the plot and story in this film are pretty good, but not great, and the highlight of this movie is the special effects. Jeff Bridges is great as usual, and the rest of the cast holds their own. If you are not as high on action scenes and special effects as some people, this movie is not for you. This movie is really great a capturing an audiences attention by showing off what it can do with CGI, and as a result it is probably some of the best CGI I have seen in a movie. This is fun to watch, but not for everybody.
½ March 13, 2016
Loved the burgeoning sense of adventure, the scintillating mood music by Daft Punk, and some intriguing interplay by the characters, but like the original, there wasnt enough emotional connection, depth or risk to make it truly memorable.
½ February 3, 2016
I'll be honest....I only saw this movie because Daft Punk produced the soundtrack.
½ February 27, 2016
Netflix movie night. Tighter writing than I remembered. I like this movie more every time. CGI Jeff Bridges looks less annoying on a small screen.
February 23, 2016
A wonderful and whimsical re-telling of the historical decisive battle between the real Chip Richards and the fake Chip Richards that unfortunately is underrated compared to other religious tales such as The Passion of the Christ and Half Baked.
February 23, 2016
Chip Richards best portrayal in cinema
½ February 5, 2015
After watching Tron Legacy for perhaps the 5th time (a high amount for someone who's rewatch list is pretty slim), I realized that Tron Legacy has become something I enjoy more with every viewing. I initially thought it was much better than the rating indicated but it's a film that seems to gain dimensions each time I watch it. I think something that most people missed is just how clever the creators of this film are. In a securely PG family reboot driven by Disney, John Lasseter and Joseph Kosinski continually find ways to build the world and interject mature themes into the storyline. One of the most impressive things about this films is that the world, which in PG/PG-13 films is so often limited and boxed in (see Eragon and Chronicles of Narnia), manages to be a world of endless possibilities. Whether it's the clever use of fog and lights to the portrayal of the outlands, the directors do The Grid justice. The viewer really does feel like they have entered an endless and wild world. The action is also impressive. Immediately, the directors hit on the fact that because they are dealing with programs, gore isn't necessary to take extremely violent steps. In this manner, the bloodless action seems fitting and works perfectly. And Tron isn't devoid of social commentary as well. Seemingly right under Disney's copyright infatuated nose, the directors have actually created a clever bit of 70s era, LSD infused commentary on freedom of information and the accessibility of technology for the disenfranchised. Realizing these themes in a Disney backed film blew my mind. But in all seriousness, it's an interesting and increasingly pertinent commentary, delivered effectively by the 51% rated Tron Legacy. Combined with excellent performances from Jeff Bridges and Olivia Wilde as well as a very functional Hedlund, Tron Legacy is an impressive film that is absolutely worth watching and remembering.