68% Hercules Jul 25

85% Welcome to Sweden: Season 1
77% You're the Worst: Season 1

The Ghost Writer Reviews

July 10, 2014
not filmed in MA at all? really? I have been looking for those places in MA for a long time, I always wanna see in person. not I just found out that the whole movie was filmed in Germany... great!
The Movie Grinch
June 5, 2010
Fantastically smart political thriller, the Ghost Writer is very entertaining. It had great acting, a perfect script, and the usual great direction from Roman Polanski. If Polanksi never makes a another movie again, there would be no shame in this being his last one. Ewan McGregor gives a great central peformance, and there are great supporting performances from Pierce Brosnan and Olivia Williams. The screenplay is excellent, the dialouge is great and the story is smart and well-thoughout. Roman Polanski uses his usual skill to give this film thrills. Its got great tension and suspense builds wonderfully. My only critique is that there are several twists throughout this film, and they are not as surprising as they should be. You won't be able to see any of the plot twist coming, but they are delivered to lethargically to deliver full shocks. Its what keeps this film from being a 90%. Still a very good thriller that will keep you guessing. Must watch with patience.
June 25, 2014
Perfect example of the creation of perfect atmosphere. Riveting.
June 25, 2014
A convincing thriller. Faithful to the novel that it is based on.
Matt H.
June 18, 2014
The Ghost Writer is a Polanski film, so i immediately knew it would be good. I also immediately knew that none of the scenes would be in the U.S. So, the only part of the movie i didn't care for was the unconvincing British island that doubled for Long Island. However, the acting is brilliant, the screenplay amazing, and the atmosphere very tense. The movie reveals one piece at a time until the climatic ending, and then a shocking twist that will stun you. See this movie.
June 12, 2014
While, at times, the movie struggles to progress through the story, The Ghost Writer features enough talent in terms of acting, screenwriting, and directing to raise it higher than your average thriller.
December 18, 2013
A brilliant film with a lot of tension just coming from the great script. The acting is fantastic, probably career bests from McGregor and Brosnan. This movie may not be underrated, but it's definitely overlooked. The cinematography is gorgeous.
Rodrigo y.
June 9, 2014
Great suspense, great directing, great actings. The Ghost Writer is a win.
May 21, 2014
This kind of movie really plays to Palanski's strengths as a director. Its intriguing but believable, intricate yet accessible. And all around above average thriller with some solid performances. One of the better last shots/scenes of any movie i have seen, the last shot made the film go up a full notch for me.
Skaj C.
May 15, 2014
This movie accomplishes to have a strong tone and pacing throughout it's entirety, something that is far to rare. It keeps you glued to the screen from the second it starts until lang into the credits.
Rating: 4.4
April 27, 2014
Even though I am not very familiar with Polanski's work to really appreciate his "autheurist" imprint in his movies, such political dramas like "The Ghost Writer" are my favourite kind of genre. As I felt a mysterious "Hitchcock" ambience, I was hooked by the thrilling details during the character's investigation from beginning to end. I personally enjoyed the locations and settings, but also the mild and very different characters. Ewan McGregor found a role that suits him very well as a confused and almost bored writer.
January 21, 2013
No deja huella, pero gracias a unas actuaciones carismáticas y una historia interesante, es un thriller más que digno de ver.
April 19, 2014
Proof that Polanski is still capable of putting us on the edge of our seats.
SPERMIAN
April 18, 2014
The conspiratorial reveal wasn't earth-shattering enough to warrant the suspense.
April 17, 2014
Extremely slow to start, the first twenty minutes feel like an hour, eventually, about half way through, it picks up, and becomes interesting. However, the first act, and the first portion of the second act is such a slog that I would not recommend this for those who are not interested in political thrillers.
April 12, 2014
Very good movie. Suspenseful, tense, great direction, and a great performance from McGregor.
March 15, 2014
The ghostwriter benefits itself of having one of the most tense screenplay, even with slow pace the movie keeps you glued to the edge.
May 30, 2011
A little predictable & disappointing
February 20, 2014
Lies, murder, intrigue, infidelity, lies, murder, puzzles pieces falling into place.....standard fare for a political thriller
February 9, 2014
In the bleak purgatory of shadow and rain, people circle around one other while hold their own secrete grief. The ending -- off screen -- is one of the most unforgiving moment.