The Ghost Writer - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Ghost Writer Reviews

June 23, 2010
An engaging and tense thriller with an intriguing mystery and a stylish direction that bring to mind Polanski's finest works, and some scenes here are spectacular, especially the final sequence, while Ewan McGregor puts in a very strong performance.
September 17, 2015
A Hitchcockesque mystery/thriller with a moodiness worthy of a Winslow Homer painting.
½ November 8, 2010
With a good cast of actors (McGregor, Brosnan, Wilkinson) supporting the inspired script and with skilled handling on his part, Polanski ravels a dense mystery film which might have the unoriginal main theme of intrigues and webs of corruption, but, with exciting action sequences, ominous twists, gloomy imagery, otherworldly landscapes, weird deaths, good humour and, thankfully, no cliches or happy endings, manages to stand out as a fresh and charming universe.
July 30, 2015
Ewan McGregor e Pierce Brosnan excelentes, roteiro espetacular, linda fotografia e mais uma grande direção de Roman Polanski. Um dos melhores filmes de 2010.
½ July 25, 2015
Poor acting, terrible script, weak plot and a disappointing plot twist followed by a ridiculous and ill-timed ending.
½ May 8, 2013
This is a beautiful film, with a beautiful protagonist of course.
½ June 21, 2015
Interesting but forgettable
May 30, 2015
I am so baffled by the regard in which so many people hold this movie that I've watched it three times to determine if I was just missing something of note. Perhaps the reason I find this film a rather lifeless thriller is that I have such admiration for Polanski's skill as a cinematic artist that this movie feels like hack work in comparison. I just do not find this movie satisfying.
May 28, 2015
Excellent! Roman Polanski's stylish ode to Hitchcockian thrillers is suspenseful to the very end. One of my favorites of 2010.
April 23, 2011
Great stuff, a really tense, effective thriller. McGregor and Williams are both excellent, though I guessed the twist, or at least the general gist of it, about halfway through. Also Polanski doesn't exactly show a great aptitude for portraying politics, and the attempts to fake the US are clunky to say the least. Other than that I really enjoyed it. Oh, and try not to see the American version as I did, with all the ridiculous bowdlerised swearing. It's really, really bad.
May 3, 2015
"The Ghost Writer" manages to provide engaging viewing thanks to providing plenty of suspense with its deep story that has twists and turns at the right places, with a strong performance from Ewan McGregor whose character highlights the story's intensity.
½ March 28, 2015
An intriguing mystery/drama, with McGregor playing an innocent ghostwriter who gets involved in a political conspiracy. Tension is nicely built, the score is good, Massachusetts looks colder & drearier than England and the ending is both satisfying and bittersweet. Decent cast, with Williams, Brosnan & Wilkinson all doing their bit.
January 31, 2015
Wasn't THAT riveting, but I was interested to see what would
happen and the payoff was not too bad. Just like Roman Polanski to have a movie like this.
January 20, 2015
Correcto film de suspense de Polanski, direcciòn sobria, magnifica fotografìa y banda sonora, una escena final sorprendente y unos crèditos finales inteligentes.
December 28, 2014
Nope. I am a fan of subversive thrillers but somehow this nearly murdered me with boredom. And there's something about Pierce Brosnan I find grotesquely uninteresting. He is like the British Kevin Costner. If he's going to be best known for something other than statutory rape, Roman Polanski had better keep the focus of his modern career on darker material such as The Ninth Gate, but apparently I am rather alone in this point of view. Stupid, unrefined, American me... A child of the 80's, raised on a staple of Lynch and Cronenberg with a twist of Michael Mann melodrama.
December 28, 2011
Plot/Action: 2*
Acting: 4*
Cinematography: 4*
½ December 18, 2014
A masterpiece political thriller. Everything just clicks here, especially the score that keeps you incredibly tense and engaged in the story.
½ October 16, 2014
Whether or not you may enjoy the film's ending, there's no denying that "The Ghost Writer" is still a tense, unpredictable thriller that acts as a testament to Roman Polanski's enduring ability to craft a good movie.
½ October 12, 2014
Polanski is as interesting to watch as always, but "The Ghost Writer" is not on the same page as his usual film.
½ September 29, 2014
Polanski's brilliance is just amazing to behold. The film's atmosphere is just magnificent. The plot has a killer twist till the end. Watch and see.