Repo Men Reviews

hunterjt13
½ April 27, 2012
Working for a mysterious, nefarious organization, two men collect organs on lease in the near future.
Released in 2010, after the latest financial meltdown ravaged the U.S. economy, Repo Men is a satire clearly aimed at American big business, equating their greedy foreclosures with stealing people's lifeblood. It's clever, and the novel on which this film is based probably works better, but as a film, the exposition is entirely too long. Also, the characters degrade into gangster film cliches. Remy has the disapproving wife and innocent child, and he eventually grows a conscience about his work (but seems to have no problem with the blood-letting of his former co-workers), and Jake is as gung-ho as ever. We've seen these characters in many genres, and the concept doesn't do enough to set them apart.
Other reviewers have revealed that there's a twist ending, so I'm able to say that I liked it without giving it away.
Overall, there's a lot to like about the concept and the story here, but the characters remain types, not unique or fleshed-out people.
paul o.
December 19, 2011
The RZA was pretty cool...I guess. The acting by Jude Law and Forrest Whitaker can't stop the terrible mess this film becomes in its 2nd half. The ending is like Brazil, a deus machina, but fails flat. Overall, the only outstanding positive part would be the gore and action which shows that you don't mess with the organ business.
August 17, 2011
I loved it all the way to the end. I thought it was a total buzzkill.. no coworker is going to be that malicious. Get Real. It sorta felt like Carlito's Way. It's brutal as hell. Total dude movie. Whatever. I needed to watch a happy movie or take a shower right after.
Marc L.
½ August 16, 2011
You know, when it comes to movies, me and my brother seem to disagree about everything. He hated "The Wolfman", "The Book of Eli" and "Daredevil" but I loved them. He liked "Spy Kids 1", and I hated them. But this is one of the few movies we can both agree was quite good. Great, almost Oscar worthy script, fantastic acting, good pace. I'm not sure why so many people didn't like it.

The only thing I didn't really like was the ending. It started out pretty good, but once the credits role, me and my younger brother were pretty confused. My suggestion: Fast forward the last scene and look it up on Wikipedia, it's a lot easier. It is one of the worst endings I have ever seen ever. Seriously. Ever.

Besides that, it was all in all pretty good. The script was amazing to say the least. There were at least like 12 memorable lines in this one, most of them coming from Jude Law's character (Remy).

The acting was really good too. Forest Whitaker and Law do a very good job as the leads, putting a lot of energy into their roles without over acting. Liev Schreiber did a fantastic job as Remy and Jake's (Whitaker) despicable boss. As for Alice Braga? She was solid, but not spectacular. Ask me, they should have used Mila Kunis instead.

The character development is really something special. Remy is a "Repo Man" which means he retrieves, often violently, artificial organs from customers who can't pay for them. However, when he get's one he can't afford, he must go into hiding, while protecting another person carrying organs she can't afford. His development through out the movie is really something special. Jake is also very developed. He is Remy's partner who is stuck between following the orders of his boss, and therefore killing his best friend, or protecting Remy from a terrible fate.

The fight sequences, particularly the last one before the ending, are very, VERY well choreographed. Much better than what I expected from a movie like this.

Over all, I found this a really, really good movie. For once, my brother was right. It was even better than "True Grit" in my opinion.
maxthesax
½ August 16, 2011
An interesting premise is only interesting if you buy into what is being sold... and here I'm not quite sure if the filmmakers were truly aware that they were dealing with a bit of dark satire - even though the script was penned by the author of the book to which the film was based.

The film's poster further belies the book's intent; showing the two main characters, Jude Law and Forest Whittaker in an action pose carrying big, scary looking guns - which I assume was the studio's idea of selling this film to young teen boys. This is unfortunate, for the futuristic story is not really about that, but a social commentary on corporate greed knowing no bounds.

At the core is that age old morality tale - a Judgment At Nuereburg dilemma - "I was just doing my job" being the mantra towards any job where there exists a certain moral murkiness. This theme is a tired one and here comes off a bit heavy handed, even when hidden within the futuristic society bent, which suffers from a gaping hole of implausibility, regardless of the intended jab at corporate greed.

The film craft on display here is apt enough - good acting from the leads and especially Live Schreiber as the slimey boss of the corporation; and while I admit that the script has a certain glibness to it, I couldn't help but think that this film tried to cover too many bases and suffered for it.

I must also mention that the film has a rather inventive twist to it, which you may or may not find amusing. I felt that it fit the tone of the film, but like the rest of the film, felt uneasy about it; not sure if it was intended all along or a simple tag line device, done for no other reason than it could be done.

In the end I was mildly entertained by this, but was plagued by a nagging thought that something was somehow missing.
½ July 19, 2011
A largely forgettable action Sci Fi flick with a numbing plot that delivers a twist ending that's... largely inconsequential to the story.

In the end, the film just doesn't leave much of an impression and although the premise is somewhat original the Scifi themes that come along aren't explored rendering the experience down.

There's also a clear over emphasis on action and sex appeal with a story that for the most part, is character driven. What the hell?

Just a combination of poor choices. :[
deano
October 6, 2009
Good bloody sci-fi-action flick with Jude Law who is such a badass, plays the part well. It's a good made film although there is a lot of violence and it is very gory. The beginning scenes had the atmospheric feel of sci-fi flicks such as Blade Runner, Minority Report and Total Recall.
The story has a poor description of this futuristic society, where a corporation has the power of God, tricking clients and using abusive means to retrieve the prostheses from those that do not pay the bill. When we see the line of production, it is hard to believe that the prostheses are so expensive that the company needs to retrieve them. If the intention is to intimidate the clients to pay, this type of marketing would never work. Therefore, the principle of the story is stupid and contradictory.
May 8, 2011
Good premise and good action. It could've been so much better though.
June 3, 2011
This movie is part action and part gore fest. Very bloody film, so if your squeamish then don't watch it. The concept of repossessing peoples organs when they can't make the payments, is pretty fascinating. I can really see that happening in the future. The theme may be interesting, but the movie made me lose interest half way through. It's an ok movie, just couldn't get into it like I thought I would. I used to be surprised Jude Law didn't do more action movies, but after seeing this I can see why he doesn't. He may look like an action guy, but he really isn't. He just doesn't have "it" like other guys, like Jason Statham or The Rock. I think if this movie had Statham in it, it would have been a completely different and better movie. Good for a one time watch, but other then that it's pretty forgettable.
May 29, 2011
An interesting story with good characters but it didn't seem to flow very well. One minute he only just recieved the organ the next he was on the run for not paying for it. There are quite a lot of plot holes. It did get confusing at some points. You would think that because he was an emplyee and injured on company time he would recieve the organ for free! At least at the end they didn't do the whole commercial "everything is perfect now" ending because that wouldn't have happened in real life.
kpn666
March 18, 2010
Hmmm.... I really wanted to see this, and now I have... its disappointing. In a dark nihilistic and corporate overrun future, the REPO-MEN of the UNION are the feared debt collectors, no job too disgusting for them, repossessing artificial body parts from clients in arrears.

Remy and Jake, childhood buddies, are a team, ex-Army trained Repo Men who live and breathe the job. Until Remy's family life begins to strain because of his work overload, and after a near fatal accident, Remy is implanted with an artificial heart, which changes his perspective forever. Unable to continue as a Repo Man, and with no other qualifications, Remy himself is soon in arrears and then becomes a target.

Hmmm... a twisted personal, narrated story, with a not-so interesting twist in the end which didnt leave much to be desired, the action though is bloody and brutal, its funny seeing Law and Whitaker kicking ass and taking names, when proven action star Liev Schriber (the best thing about the movie) is on the side giving a good performance as a "suit" - maybe he and Whitaker should have had a role reversal. I think it was a serious miscast, a movie trying to be< in essence, like Minority Report, Paycheck or Blade Runner in spirit, but different enough to stand out... but fails. Nothing seemed to be inspiring or entertaining, and its easy to get lost in the mumble and jumble.

Anyways.... avoidance is my advice.
March 27, 2011
I totally enjoyed this futuristic action flick. There are twists and turns which you can nit pick from, like Blade Runner or even Jude Laws A.I. but it was great american movie with lots going on all the time. Never a dull moment and excellent special effects and use of the green screen.
LorenzoVonMatterhorn
½ March 18, 2010
"The Repossession Mambo? Sounds kinda fruity!"

Set in the near future when artificial organs can be bought on credit, it revolves around a man who struggles to make the payments on a heart he has purchased. He must therefore go on the run before said ticker is repossessed.

REVIEW
Disjointed, violent sci-fi suspenser set in the near future (natch) about a system of repossession men who do just that to those who've missed payments on their new organs/health related surgeries (i.e. they surgically remove whatever has not been paid off yet!) Paging Philip K. Dick in this scattershot hybrid of Total Recall, Blade Runner and Minority Report with Law even echoing his android from AI as the repo man who literally has a change of heart when he finds himself the hapless recipient of a techno-ticker. Bloody to a fault is one thing but the convoluted plottings by Eric Garcia (based on his novel "The Repossession Mambo") and Garrett Lerner runs on fumes by the final act and Miguel Sapochnik's muddled direction doesn't help - but kudos to recognizing Monty Python's Meaning of Life segment featuring "We're here for your liver" segment, even if it's just on a TV screen the main characters are enjoying.
½ March 14, 2011
Repo Men has a decent premise, and actors, but some scenes can be barely entertaining. The ending I quite liked because of it's unpredictability, and the film wraps up nicely even if it's not happily.
February 16, 2011
It's the future, people have artificial organs, but many can't afford to make the payments, so who better than the Rep Men to take that organ from them, kill them, and clean it for another person? With humorous moments keeping the film on a high note, bloody action scenes, and a hell of a twist, Repo Men is awesome. The film makes you believe that someone who is completely against what he is scolding, will never gain that same thing. However, he ends up in a life threatening situation set up for the huge twist, and has to live with an artificial heart after his wife throws him out of his own house. Now bankrupt and unable to pay his organ bills, he is in the same situation as his targeted clients. The outcome is extremely fascinating, and it may not be the greatest film in the world, but Repo Men is one hell of an adrenaline-fueled ride!
½ February 7, 2011
A somewhat interesting dilemma in a future of contrast. The city is dark futuristic while suburbia stays the same! lol The predictable outcome drags out through predictable results. Mildly interesting at best.
theunknownhobo
½ November 16, 2010
Although this movie screamed originality and gave Jude Law a welcome break from romantic comedies, there was something lacking in this film. Set in the future where you can buy your own mechanical organs when your organic ones fail, Jude Law and Forest Whittaker play the repo men who take back the organs if you do not keep up your payments. Still a good film if you are looking for a strong narrative and a shameless portrayal of the future, I felt the film was rushed and that you are not given enough time to bond with the characters and therefore care when anything happens to them. A good film overall, but was nowhere near as good as it could have been.
MissMorganLeee
March 14, 2010
Best movie soundtrack I've heard in a long time. Soundtrack as in Other artist songs and not just a score. I was just annoyed with the ending and the length of this movie. The premise was good and the delivery was good as well but it dragged about about 20 minutes too far. Its not one of the those movies you NEED to go out and see but its enjoyable to watch. Some pretty funny parts mixed in with the action/drama.
June 22, 2010
Despite the interesting premise, this film is just insipid and not very original, and it goes on limping between serious action and awkward satire. What makes it a little better though is the last twenty minutes, with an awesome, badass ending that will leave you thrilled and chuckling at the same time.
skactopus
November 7, 2010
Based on the novel from Eric Garcia, Miguel Sapochnik's Repo Men turns out to be an up and down science fiction thriller.The film does have a fun idea behind it and the opening sequence serves as a good hook, but by the time the 1 hour and 50 minutes are up, Repo Men doesn't feel like an extraordinary piece of work. The high tech setting is a nice touch; however, there are components to the film that are questionable, yet somewhat excusable. The demeanor of the story is inconsistent as it does have moments of seriousness, while also having moments of cruel humor and a twist just for the sake of having one.Bloody and violent describes the action and this isn't surprising when the plot deals with removing artificial organs. The choreography for the fights and even some of the high tech weaponry are amusing, so all in all, this piece of the production is a plus.The casting is solid. Jude Law, Forest Whitaker, Alice Braga, and Liev Schreiber all help make this a watchable movie.The plot does need some work, but Repo Men is still a recommendable sci-fi thriller.