Weekly Ketchup: Bone Adaptation Finally Moving Forward

Summary

As Hollywood got ready to head to Utah for the Sundance Film Festival, movie news slowed to a near trickle this week, with very few stories involving popular franchises or many big movie stars. What news did make this Week's Ketchup includes the comic book adaptations Bone and Atlantis Rising, and new movie projects for Kristen Wiig and Captain America: The First Avenger stars Chris Evans and Tommy Lee Jones. Back to Article

Comments

Noah James

Noah Kinsey

I cannot believe this is the week's stories. Yawn.

Jan 20 - 03:31 PM

Wil H.

Wil Huff

One of the greatest living American writers (McCarthy) getting into screenwriting and one of the greatest living filmmakers (Joon-ho) producing a new film is yawn-inducing?

Jan 21 - 04:20 AM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

very yawn-inducing, indeed. With over 67 THOUSAND PAGE VIEWS I have a pretty good idea what "yawners" are . . . I used to get 1500 page views a week until someone reprogrammed the site. "the more explosive and fascinating the pictures, the page-view numbers would start 'jumping-up' exponentially."//Here, if you "sandwiched" a Ridley Scott directing Blade Runner 2 story between the MCcarthy and Joon-ho stories, you wouldn't get a yawn./// (Its important to keep in mind the wide audience reading what you post). Too many "yawns" and you lose the audience--you have to talk about things that a wide audience can relate to and items that a wide audience is familiar with.// I KNOW Ridley Scott, I KNOW Blade Runner, but MCCarthy doesn't immediately ring a bell, nor does Joon-Ho.//Its ALL "about" The Audience.//"YAWN-BUSTERS: THE MOVIE" . . . "yawns" are The Enemy.

Jan 21 - 07:09 AM

Noah James

Noah Kinsey

Do you type all - or just most - of your comments while wearing a tin foil hat? Just wondering.

Jan 21 - 08:15 PM

ap sirius

karl anderson

talk about yawn inducing...I was going into a trance trying to dicipher what you just said

Jan 21 - 10:27 PM

Jennifer Ciesialka

Jennifer Ciesialka

Bone is an incredible read. The problem is, you cannot read a few issues and have a clue as to it's grandness. I have been wanting a movie adaptation, but it has to be done the right way, and by the right person. If they don't screw with the story or character models, it could be fantastic. If the director is a prick who doesn't like the direction the original author took, the characterization, or the ending and changes it *cough* Peter Jackson *cough*, it will suck bad.

Jan 24 - 02:54 PM

Dave J

Dave J

"I used to get 1500 page views a week until someone reprogrammed the site" I also read somewhere there was a malfunction which was why you got so many hits and not so much anymore.

Jan 25 - 02:24 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

I suppose you could use an alternate computer to keep clicking on your page artificially inflating the number. Obviously assuming that you have absolutely nothing better to do with yourself.

Jan 25 - 05:53 PM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

For the first time in two years . . . there are no stories I'm getting any vibes from.

Jan 20 - 03:36 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

Yawn

Jan 21 - 06:13 PM

Joel Valle

Joel Valle

"Bowie lookalike Tilda Swinton"-I had a weird mix of finding the comment funny and feeling bad for Tilda since I find her kinda hot; but now I will always have Tilda and Bowie in my same thoughts. Thanks a lot Greg, changing my perception of Tilda Swinton...forever,lol.

Jan 20 - 03:47 PM

David Tanny

David Tanny

You think Tilda Swinton is hot?

Jan 20 - 05:50 PM

The.Watcher

The Watcher

Wth! Tilda looks like a man-alien hybrid from the great beyond. Gotta say, dude, that's pretty fucking weird.

Jan 20 - 08:12 PM

Shiva the God of Death

Noah F

She doesn't need beauty to win herself an Oscar.

Jan 21 - 07:23 AM

The.Watcher

The Watcher

? Did I say she did?

Jan 21 - 10:54 PM

Kriftonucci

Jim Ylonen

(Following is a rabid fanrant. Disregard at all cost)
WHAT?! "BONE"?! THOSE EXECUTIVE KITES HAVE ACTUALLY USED GOOGLE MAPS TO FIND THE RAW BULLNUGGETS TO TAKE ONE OF THE MORE DIGNIFIED ASPECTS OF RIVETING AMERICAN GRAPHIC NOVELS AND DEFILE IT WITH THEIR WARCRAFT WE THE MAINSTREAM AUDIENCE ARE FORCED TO TRANSLATE AS THE STERILE ART OF ADAPTATION!? Nay I say! I've been reading Bone since they started colouring it. All their characters, including Thorn, Kingdok and the Locust king are the very essence of powerful disposition you would only find in the best of their species. So why? Hollywood, Australian or not, can clearly think of better things if it gave us Super 8, Drive or anything else Quentin's given us. Why not at least go on and eviscerate other comic works which deserve it more like Foxtrot, another Peanuts movie, or at least the manga adaptation of Battle Royale (suck it, Hunger Games).

But please, unless you all are counting on hiring a good director of Spielbergian proportions to get involved in this, don't! Just DON'T!

Jan 20 - 04:54 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

BONE! That was a cult little comic back in the days of The Tick. I haven't seen that in a while, surprised it lasted until 2004. And I liked the 2003 Peter Pan, so that might be alright.

Any McCarthy is welcome, but I hope for a future remake of "The Road". John Hillcoat really missed the whole 'optimism' thing. Not to dog him, that's a very difficult balance. And the Tommy Lee Jones as McArthur would normally be good news, except look at that director. If you're going to hold it against Kusama, then how does Pete Webber get a pass? Bad news. "Snow Piercer" looks like the win out of the 'fresh' ideas. Although I much prefer Stiller's own directed films (how is "Cable Guy" NOT fresh, I would understand "Reality Bites" being kinda iffy...) to his cash-ins.

Jan 20 - 05:06 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

I've been excited enough to try to revisit the Bone Saga. I had read maybe a handful of issues somewhere around 92-94, when comics like it and The Tick and Sin City were all more interesting to me than the DC/Marvel superheroes (except the Batman Animated Cartoon natch!) Unfortunately I was far more interested in Films, Paracelsus, and Indie Rock at the time to make any comic purchases marginal. I know now (late than never) that I must get "The Complete Cartoon Epic In One Volume" to truly appreciate this lost gem of a comic!

Jan 22 - 04:38 PM

Ocram Immorto

Ocram Immorto

Screw all of you who think they shouldn't make a Bone adaptation film.

Jan 20 - 05:10 PM

Wisenheimer

Joshua Dinsmore

Yes, agreed.

Jan 21 - 01:15 AM

David Tanny

David Tanny

Looking forward to Bong Joon Ho's new film. Loved The Host and Mother.

Jan 20 - 05:49 PM

David Tanny

David Tanny

You think Tilda Swinton is hot?

Jan 20 - 05:50 PM

greg_dean_schmitz

Greg Dean Schmitz

The intro to this week's column got posted with last week's copy... here's how this column was supposed to start:

"As Hollywood got ready to head to Utah for the Sundance Film Festival, movie news slowed to a near trickle this week, with very few stories involving popular franchises or many big movie stars. What news did make this Week's Ketchup includes the comic book adaptations Bone and Atlantis Rising, and new movie projects for Kristen Wiig and Captain America: The First Avenger stars Chris Evans and Tommy Lee Jones."

Jan 20 - 05:54 PM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

Ohhhhh . . . thank you for the explanation Greg.

Jan 21 - 06:57 AM

The.Watcher

The Watcher

That Cormac McCarthy news sounds great, huge fan of his books and loved the No Country, Road and Sunset Limited adaptations.

I am kind of excited for the Hack/Slash movie, even if it's being directed by such a hack extraordinaire. Love the comic.

I'd actually really love to see an adaptation of Grant Morrison's We3. They'd have to go the animated route, but I see no problem with that. Seriously, folks, check out We3, it's a 3-issue mini-series, and one of the best stories I've read in a long time. Brought a tear to these dry, dusty eyes.

Jan 20 - 05:57 PM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

The United States of America has confiscated property and made arrests of non-US citizens associated with Megaupload; it feels like no one is safe. Not only can the United States government arrest its own citizens and detain them without due-process but the "Megaupload-Arrests" illustrate anyone in the in the world can be investigated and arrested and detained by The United States of America without warning . . . even THE WATCHER (is subject to investigation, arrest, and detention by The United States Federal Government)!

Jan 21 - 08:07 AM

The.Watcher

The Watcher

The investigation of the owners of MU has been ongiong for YEARS. They were into some shady shit: money laundering, racketeering etc. Plus they routinely scammed Premium users. They got arrested for that, not because of file uploads. If that was the case, then all the other file uploading sites + torrent sites would have been shut down as well.

Fileserve, Filesonic, Rapidshare etc. are all more popular than Mega was.

And yes, the NDAA '12 does suck. Lucky for me, I don't live in US.

Jan 21 - 10:58 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

That's funny. The NDAA actually allows the US Military to detain anyone anywhere in the world. Actually, W was already doing just that for the last decade, ala the rendition program (which, no, Obama has not ceased). The NDAA only applies this authority to the US territory and citizens as well...except it won't affect 'existing law' or Obama saying HE wouldn't enforce it (it's up to future presidents to decide what they'll do). But NOT living in the US doesn't really make you any safer. The Constitution's Bill of Rights (which the NDAA effectively suspends the 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, and 8th amendments) was the only thing that gave US citizens some gaurantee against these kinds of detentions which Guantanamo has shown does not apply for foreign nationals.

Jan 22 - 04:52 PM

Movie Monster

Bentley Lyles

Bone was the first graphic novel I ever read and I hope the film doesn't disappoint. When I read it, I imagined the movie as live action with the Bone brothers being made through motion capture. Oh, well. Plus, Animal Logic hasn't been doing too well. Their past two movies weren't treated nicely by critics. Hope this flick redeems them.

That Tom Cruise sci-fi flick sounds pretty cool in my opinion. It sounds live a live action Wall-E with the whole "maintenance workers cleaning up an irradiated Earth" and "maintenance drones" premise. Hope it gets executed well.And with Olga Kurylenko attached, I'm even more hyped. She is one of the sexiest actresses alive! How's her acting skills? Good, not great. Anyways, enjoy this slideshow.

Jan 20 - 07:13 PM

The.Watcher

The Watcher

Jan 20 - 08:12 PM

Shiva the God of Death

Noah F

She doesn't need beauty to win herself an Oscar.

Jan 21 - 07:23 AM

The.Watcher

The Watcher

? Did I say she did?

Jan 21 - 10:54 PM

One Word Reviews

Luke Simpson

Cormac McCarthy, y'all. That's enough to carry the week's news for me.

Jan 20 - 08:17 PM

David W.

David West

Bone should be good, but kinda nervous because Greek is such a shitty show, also am i the only one that thinks Red Machine sounds kinda cool in a bad way?

Jan 20 - 09:29 PM

Noah Abraham G.

Noah Abraham Goucher

Bone's finally getting adapted?! Well they'd better not fuck it up.

Jan 21 - 12:12 AM

Noah Abraham G.

Noah Abraham Goucher

Agreed.

Jan 21 - 12:13 AM

Ocram Immorto

Ocram Immorto

Aye.

Jan 24 - 10:19 PM

Myron

Myron Kinsey

YAWNSVILLE!!! (except the Cormac McCarthy news of course, his work is always welcome, and the new Bong Joo Ho film sounds interesting as well).

Jan 21 - 12:21 AM

rocky k.

rocky kumar

What the hell is red machine? even the premise is sucking enough!

Jan 21 - 12:33 AM

Wisenheimer

Joshua Dinsmore

Yes. I've been waiting for an adaptation of Bone for a while now. They better not screw up.

Jan 21 - 01:13 AM

Cosplay Gallery
Cosplay Gallery

See over 350 Comic-Con Costumes!

The Hobbit
The Hobbit

See the final movie's trailer

Weekly Ketchup