The Kids Are All Right - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Kids Are All Right Reviews

May 23, 2016
Although it's occasionally monotonous, great performances, intelligent writing, and heartfelt drama make this a poignant and refreshing picture.
April 19, 2016
The Kids Are All Right is a touching change of pace from the average hollywood movie. A lesbian couple played brilliantly by Annette Bening and Julianne Moore use the same sperm donor to father two kids themselves. The kids independently seek out their father, played by Mark Ruffalo and a mix of emotions take you through the rest of the movie. Predictable in parts, yet never dull.

It was really important to have a man and a woman write this. Unlike some movies where you get a one gender perspective the female and male characters are balanced here. It brings out the authenticity of the actors and makes them people who are very real.
March 14, 2016
I only heard about this movie by the many Academy Awards that it got. So I kind of came in with an open mind and watched it. While The Kids Are All Right is a great movie, it seems to be a tad overrated to me. I'll give it props to the movie for putting it to the big screens as it's very rare for a lesbian film, and is a problem for it as homosexuality is still a problem to some people. The writing by Lisa Cholodenko and Steven Blumberg is really good and does the same-sex parent relationship very well. The acting is great, and the characters are very likable. It does go through family issues very well, and is very realistic too. The film is interesting, but for some reason I wished it was more interesting. It had some good humor which made the film a bit more interesting, but wasn't really much of it. As is, I can kind of see why The Kids Are All Right got the awards and I still enjoyed it for what it is.
½ March 4, 2016
"The Kids Are All Right" is a well rounded comedy-drama combining humor with understandable, realistic characters.
July 16, 2012
The Kids Are All Right make a nice change from all the awful Hollywood comedies about kids searching and finding their sperm donor fathers. This is probably a more realistic version of what could happen and certainly a more entertaining one that raises some interesting questions. All the performances were good but it is Annette Bening who really steals the show, this is by far her best role yet.
January 25, 2016
so i started watching this hoping it would be mostly comedy but was surprised to find an insight into relationships, couples with problems, father-child bonding and some more heart warming surprises. good movie
½ May 28, 2012
A nice film with awesome performances and a great story.
May 27, 2015
Bittingly honest and unfailingly heartfelt; The Kids Are All Right is a heartwarming and touching film, boosting an insightful narrative, an excellent well-rounded cast an an effortless mix of humor and humane genuineness.
December 17, 2015
I give it 5 stars mainly because the script was incredible and it really is a great film
December 15, 2015
You would think movie with such a clear intent of legitimizing a lesbian relationship wouldn't do everything possible to demean it? Wtf
½ December 24, 2010
I don't know why this film is labeled a comedy since it has nothing to laugh about. In fact, it is a pathetic little drama that wants to make you feel liberal accepting a family of lesbians, but the characters are poorly developed, the conflicts are artificial and clichéd, and the story lacks dramatic drive.
November 16, 2015
I personally hated Annette Bening's character, and the conclusion of Mark Ruffalo's character's fate was not satisfying. But, this film was memorable, funny, and well-acted. This is no movie of the year, but I was pleased as an audience when I was watching this.
November 5, 2015
A very well written and a very well acted drama that I had to watch for a college class.
½ August 8, 2015
An open-minding movie about a reality not so told that busts some myths as well as bringing you closer to the argument.
The acting is good, with a remarcable performance from Ruffalo.
½ February 15, 2012
Smart, genuine, and often heartbreaking, The Kids Are All Right is a heartwarming dramedy about family and marriage anchored by excellent performances. It sticks with you.
July 10, 2010
A lot more energetic and light-hearted than its marketing and reputation would indicate. The Oscar nominations alone made me think this would be some serious-issues awards-bait slog when it's actually quite fun when it wants to be, and also dramatically compelling as well. That one aspect that people complain about that I thought would be horrible was actually set up in advance in a way that it made sense for the characters in context. So, I ended up enjoying myself quite a bit.
October 2, 2015
Starts off nicely with the story of the kid looking for his "natural father" but then strolls down misery lane with a bunch of clichè, annoying characters and a trivial ending.
½ September 23, 2015
I fucking love Julian Moore in everything she does!! Mark Ruffalo was also fucking gorgeous and unfffff in this movie. I found the script to be very genuine and awkward. A beautiful story of family. Really really enjoyed.
½ September 17, 2015
Flera skådespelare jag brukar gilla, men nej, detta var inget för mig