Arthur

Arthur Reviews

hunterjt13
hunterjt13

July 2, 2012
A billionaire playboy pursues a thief/waitress despite his family's insistence that he marry within his class.
Good for a few yuks, Arthur is a charming film with a lot of good comedic performances, but the best lines come from John Gielgud. Despite being primarily a dramatic actor, Gielgud is fantastic as Hobson, delivering dry, scornfully witty one-liners with astonishing ease. He's an upper-class snob, frequently delving into lower class language, and it's often hilarious. Gielgud shows scene larceny at its finest; Dudley Moore is only noticeably funny when Gielgud isn't stealing the lens.
The plot is predictable, and I didn't think the relationship between Arthur and Linda was well-developed. If I were to risk a substantial fortune for a woman, I would like a few more scenes with her, preferably when I was sober.
Overall, this is a good way to enjoy 100 minutes of innocuous, enjoyable diversion, especially because of Gielgud.
DreamExtractor
DreamExtractor

June 20, 2011
I saw the 2011 Athur first, and it sucked. This older version is a comedy classic. The story is about Arthur (Dudley Moore), a drunken millionare who gets money from his father. When his father gives him an ultimatium, marry a woman he hates or not marry her and he is cut off from the money, he must choose if he wishes to be rich or stay with his new love (Liza Minneli). The story was great, it was funny, good hearted, and a classic tale of a drunken fool. Dudley Moore was great, his drunken slander will make you laugh your butt off. I was also a big fan of John Gielgud (Mr. Hobson) his smart assness is just so funny. The comedy is great, well written and original, and will make you laugh. Liza Minelli was never funny in this, but thats her characters fault, not hers. Arthur is anamerican classic.
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

July 22, 2011
I only heard about this film after hearing about the remake with Russell Brand in the role of Arthur Bach. Like with every other remake, I will always view the original film to see which one I preferred. Well, I was pleasantly surprised that I enjoyed both. The remake essentially kept everything intact, but made the comedy a little bit raunchier for today's audiences. But this original and whimsical comedy about a drunken playboy is a lot of fun. As I enjoyed very much the remake, I thought that the original was terrific as well. The comedy here is sharp, witty, original and amusing. Actor Dudley Moore is enjoyable on screen as Arthur Bach, and the rest of the cast here are terrific as well. This is a charming comedy that has good laughs, but above all, an interesting story. I however didn't think that Dudley Moore was the best on screen. I thought he was good, but I thought that John Gielgud in the role of Mr. Hobson was what made this film special. I just loved his sarcastic and snobbish quips and his chemistry with Moore was wonderful. If you've enjoyed the remake, and want to see this classic, then I suggest you do. You're in for a pleasant viewing experience. I thought that both films were fun and charming, but obviously nothing beats an original film.
Chris G

July 19, 2011
Arthur is the story of a lovable drunk. A rich lovable drunk. Lovable drunks only appear in movies because most drunks break your stuff and urinate everywhere except the toilet. Arthur (Dudley Moore) doesn't work, just spends money with his faithful butler Hobson (John Gielgud) shaking his head in disgust. Arthur has been given an ultimatum: be the groom in an arranged marriage or be cut off. Dependence on money leads Arthur to reluctantly propose, but he ends up meeting his true love Linda (Liza Minnelli), a shoplifter from Queens. What everything boils down to is will Arthur decide to be rich and miserable or poor and happy.

Arthur has a dated feel that all early '80's comedies have. It's hard to describe, it just has that vibe of life just before CD's and such. It could have easily become another one of the cliched films that cam from this era thirty years ago, but the story isn't a cliche. It's very basic and develops into something more than it would have been. Of course the combined efforts of Dudley Moore as Arthur, spouting drunken jokes as he stumbles through life and the dead pan wisecracking of Gielgud as Hobson push this film beyond standard date night celluloid. Gielgud rightly deserved the Oscar for this one.

Dated? Yes. Still entertaining? Sure. It's like a time capsule film. Sure, it's dated, but its worth digging up every couple of years.
Martin B

August 17, 2008
I'm 20 minutes into this movie so far, and not only has it not solicited one laugh, it's already annoying the hell out me. Dudley Moore cackling annoyingly after every sentence is not only unfunny, it's not even convincing as being drunk.

I'll update this again after seeing the whole thing (if I make it), but I don't anticipate this getting any better. This one makes the new Russell Brand version look like an Oscar-caliber film.
Spencer S

October 18, 2010
Your preference to this drunken Dudley Moore rampage, is dependent on whether you find an intoxicated, spoiled, English brat running around with his father-figure butler, and his wacky antics, hilarious. Dudley Moore does deliver a very loving portrait of a dependant heir, needy for the wealth and subsequent power included in his family's estate. Devoid of love, Arthur meets and falls for a Queens waitress with a penchant for stealing, and pulling shenanigans of her own. Minnelli, in one of her best roles, is an irresistable intrusion into Arthur's dull life, and is the high point of the film. Gielgud and Moore spar insults at one another in the friendliest way, and yet divided by their net worth. Decent comedy, but not my particular cup of tea.
Aaron N

November 2, 2006
Susan: Arthur, will you take my hand?
Arthur: That would leave you with one.
movieguru12
movieguru12

August 4, 2008
Hilarious & adorable :) Dudley Moore is hilarious & Liza Minnelli is adorable :) It was sad that Hobson died. I thought it was funny that the guy that played Morty on Seinfeld was Linda's dad lol :) Can't wait for the remake! :)
AJ V

September 6, 2010
A predictable romantic comedy about a rich guy who falls for a poor girl. There are some funny moments, but overall, it's not that great, it's okay.
Conner R

September 15, 2010
It's impossible to not fall in love with Arthur and his overly drunken stupor. Dudley Moore is charming and funny, always keeping you entertained. What makes this more than just a comedy is its huge heart, it's not just another romantic story but about someone growing up and gaining principles and self respect. Maybe at the end of the day a lot of us wish we could be Arthur, he just seems to have the best time; even though it may take 10 scotch's an hour to get him truly happy.
Anthony L

September 29, 2009
A lovely comedy about a rich alcoholic who thinks he?s a child. Sounds wrong doesn?t it. I miss Dudley Moore. Love Christopher Cross's theme tune too!
sanjurosamurai
sanjurosamurai

January 24, 2007
pretty cool flick, dudley moore was up and down but this is one of his better ones
thmtsang
thmtsang

November 10, 2007
Dudley Moore comedy as a drunken millionaire. Good movie.
Jason S

September 9, 2007
Funny. It was the role he was born for and the one he would never live down. It was funny and smart.
Lafe F

August 11, 2007
A skillfully done romantic comedy with upscale settings. Liza Minnelli is loveable, and Dudley Moore is funny.
garyX
garyX

March 14, 2007
Dudley Moore made a lot of stinkers, but this is probably his best effort. He makes a funny drunk, but let's face it, this film is all about seeing Sir John Gielgud saying rude words.
Kevin M

May 15, 2012
Eh. It's sort of funny sometimes, but overall it's a mediocre plot with a funny performance from Dudley Moore. This movie is outdated in just about every way. It wasn't bad, it just wasn't very good. If you're looking for a good comedy, you can do a lot better than Arthur.
Bradley W

December 2, 2011
Joey T

April 5, 2011
Arthur isn't perfect, however, its dark comedy, great performances, and the amount of heart the film has, it is one movie worth watching.