The Black Hole - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Black Hole Reviews

½ February 24, 2016
The Black Hole is a bland and boring movie. The plot doesn't make much sense and the visual effects don't hold up that well. It's not a terrible movie, I've seen worse, but this is not one I think I'll ever watch again.
December 15, 2015
People who call this a Star Wars rippoff are clueless. There is no "war" in this movie. Just because it is a sci-fi, it doesn't necessarily mean they're all the same sub-genre. I mean, Star Trek is far more similar to Star Wars.

This film is much closer to perhaps Aliens or even Event Horizon. It should be classified as a Sci-fi Space Horror film and many parts of it is. There's a general "eerieness" to the film which they captured it quite well, especially when B.O.B. told V.I.N.Cent that this ship is really a ship of the dead, a floating tomb.

Most people don't realize how old this film is. Many would say some ideas in there are already used in other films, without realizing those films are the ones copying this film. Overall, I say that this is a very well done film for its era.

It is spooky when it needs to be, exciting during the battle scenes, and was a good mystery from the begining.
½ December 13, 2015
Beautiful lighting, sets and production design - coupled with an outstanding John Barry score and terrific SFX that still hold up today make for a tremendously enjoyable and atmospheric Sci-Fi movie.

A few "cutesy" Disney moments bring it down a wee bit, but don't significantly detract from the otherwise mature space opera.
August 10, 2015
Totally didn't expect this to have such a trippy ending.
November 1, 2015
The Black Hole is a technical and visual achievement, but also a bore of theatrical technobabble, robot horseplay, ghost spaceships, and crazed spacemen.
October 12, 2015
The black hole, in this case, is the zone into which basic conventions of acting and physics are destroyed. A robot with ESP is just the beginning. Wait until the end when spaceship depressurization selectively kills only the bad guys, and exposure to the freezing vacuum of space seems to have no effect on humans. Oh, and if you're tempted to offer this movie credit for being early sci-fi, remember it was made AFTER Star Wars. No excuses. The Black Hole sucks.
½ September 11, 2015
Another film that tried to emulate the success of the original Star Wars.

I found it boring.
½ June 18, 2013
Some cool imagery...terrible at points.. I am a sucker for Sci fi
½ July 2, 2015
It's a Star Wars ripoff.
June 18, 2015
I have a guilty pleasure with this film. I enjoyed the laser battles and the acting but found the film pretty trippy at times.
½ May 8, 2015
Disney's notorious sci-fi odyssey The Black Hole is a dark and cerebral film. The story follows a research ship that encounters a mysterious vessel whose captain is obsessed with discovering the secrets that lie with the black hole that he's studying. Starring Maximilian Schell, Anthony Perkins, Ernest Borgnine, and Roddy McDowall, the casting is pretty solid. And, the visual style is quite impressive; particularly the ship and robot designs. Additionally, the score is incredibly powerful and haunting; creating an eerie, atmospheric tone. But, the writing isn't very good and the dialog is especially clunky. Also, the ending is rather ambiguous and unsatisfying. Aspiring to more than it's able to deliver, The Black Hole is an interesting film, though not an entirely successful one.
April 25, 2015
I have met microwaves with more personality than this film.
½ September 3, 2014
The crisp visuals and healthy action of this sci-fi film are impossible to escape from once you are sucked in.
½ April 4, 2015
A motley space crew happen upon a mysterious ship hanging out near a black hole, so they decide to investigate. Upon entering the mystery ship, they discover a lone (mad) scientist inhabiting the vessel with his team of robots. When the scientist's explanation for the whereabouts of the rest of the ship's crew doesn't add up, the diverse group of interlopers decide they must depart before they are put in harm's way as the scientist is bent on sailing through the black hole. He eventually gets his wish, but is rewarded with an eternity in literal hellfire. The amazing final minutes are a cinema masterpiece, but do not excuse the unoriginal story, slow-paced melodrama, or hokey robo-humour.
June 2, 2010
Disney's cash in attempt at STAR WARS. Obviously spent money on the production making low-rent version of R2 & 3PO inexcusable. I had Black Hole wallpaper in my room and a Black Hole lunchbox as a child even though I was never a particular fan of the movie.
January 7, 2015
One of Disney's largest attempts of the Sci Fi genre & although it's not timeless it's fairly entertaining.

The story of astronauts coming across a mad scientist preparing & planning to enter a Black Hole.

Well before the days of CGI & effects & art design are too notch the sets are so expansive & vast. The acting is a little wooden but it's a fun film that is a lot more Fi than Sci...
December 13, 2014
This late-70s sci-fi film from Disney can be somewhat charming due to its old school effects and style, but it is dated and I'd being lying if I said it held up well. It also has a somewhat talky and slightly confusing script. It was only confusing near the end really, so maybe my focus just drifted. It didn't have enough going for it to keep me interested, and despite the cool effects and some fun robot designsi, that isn't really enough to make it worthwhile.
November 25, 2014
Pure Cult Status camp like Batman Effort!
½ November 14, 2014
November 13, 2014
tedious and slow with some very wooden acting, stupid garbage bin droids add to the torture.Some decent effects and sets at least give something to look at,thank god I never saw this as a kid or I may have had pangs of nostalgia for this mess