97% Ghostbusters Aug 29

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Black Rain Reviews

August 20, 2014
Sympa pour son époque!
Ridley Scott à la production.
Avec Michael Douglas. Et à la Musique Hans Zimmer !
September 26, 2012
Blu-ray, R4
2nd, TOHO CINEMAS Nagoya Baycity, 2014/8/7
February 8, 2012
This movie was dope but casting Douglas was a mistake. He was the only thing wrong with this movie.
July 9, 2014
The 1980s had a strange fascination with Japan, admiring their ingenuity, curious about their culture and also frightened of their increasing economic power. This international crime film from director Ridley Scott manages to include most all of these elements in what is essentially a pretty standard renegade cops story. Michael Douglas plays the renegade cop who plays by his own set of rules. When he is charged with returning a prisoner to Japan and then loses him, he and his partner, the underused Andy Garcia, set out to find him as fished-out-of-water in Japan. Ken Takakura is the Japanese police detective who is assigned to work with Douglas and Garcia, and has to deal with Douglas' ugly American ways. As you would expect, there is a bit of a cultural exchange between the two, where Douglas learns the value of respect and Takakura learns to not always play by the rules. However, the story is the least interesting aspect of this film. It's director Scott's visual style that makes this film so memorable. Japan looks like a modern day "Blade Runner," full of wet streets, dark clubs and lots of neon lighting. Jan de Bont, before he became a schlocky director of blockbuster film, was an ace cinematographer and does a bang-up job on this film. Overall, this is a pretty forgettable film in terms of story, but 80s inscrutable Asia (ALA "Rising Sun") is kind of nostalgic (though certainly condescending and probably racist) and Scott's visual style make this film worth revisiting.
May 3, 2014
This definitely was a cable favorite for me when I was young... still is too.
February 11, 2014
Strong visuals, good acting, and an outstanding soundtrack manage to save a somewhat formulaic story and a few plot holes.
December 6, 2013
The set design caught my eye, but Blade Runner this is not.
(A much, much better, though unrelated Japanese film with the same title was released in the same year.)
October 9, 2013
Marginal Yakuza crime film. Not great, and worse after Andy Garcia dies.
Sarfaraz Abbasi
September 14, 2013
Black Rain dark film directed by Ridley Scott. Starring Michael Douglas, Andy García and Yusaku Matsuda. Yusaku died after completing the film due to suffering from terminal disease. Film received two Oscar-nominations Best Sound and Best Sound Editing Effects.

Film centers on Nick played by Michael Douglas as NYPD police officer - who witness along with his partner (Andy) couple of murders perpetrated by Yakuza gangster of another Japanese gangsters inside a small restaurant. After capturing the suspect; the two are assigned to deliver him over to Japanese authorities in Osaka (Japan).

Film is dark and cold, much of which seems like Ridley trying to show as if he is still living in Blade Runner environment. Hans Zimmer's perfect music-score serves the chilliness. My only problem was with Michael Douglas who played over-the-edge by showing chuckling behavior and supreme to be American. It is predictable. The poster is misleading and does not stand true to what is to be explored inside the film. Don't waste your time on Ridley's fantasy world.

NOTE: Douglas approached Jackie Chan to choreograph action-sequences and villain part but Jackie declined the offer. It is very stupid of the Hollywood to cast foreign action actors in villain role, citing their own fans would love them bashing foreigners - but little they understand that actors like Jackie have huge following all over the world, and they are not going to sabotage that for petty role. Similar had occurred with Sly, when he approached Jackie to play villain in Demolition Man.
boulderjoe
August 3, 2013
i loved it. Michael Douglas...wow.
June 24, 2013
Ken Takakura steals the show. I like the relationship between the Japanese detective and the New York detectives. This film is better than the 52% average rating here on RT.
June 5, 2013
I've always liked this but it has aged quite a lot. It's main pro's are the fantastic direction and Scott has captured Osaka brilliantly on screen. It's main con is it followed the 80's trend of the very typical, almost cliched character of a cop off the rails. We have Michael Douglas as a divorced cop with money troubles, struggling with internal affairs investigations against him, he's feisty and not afraid to shout down authority and ultimately takes the law into his own hands. We are introduced to him with a bizarrely macho and unnecessary bike race at the start of the film but apart from that Black Rain is pure 80's police action and it does this well.
June 2, 2013
starts off interestingly but soon becomes mundane and slow
April 7, 2013
Yes, most underrated movie. This is an excellent hollywood movie about triad/asian mafia. It's just that Americans in general don't like this genre.
April 7, 2013
classic cops action flick to top off the run in the eighties as the genre was falling out off elitism.

i'm not one to put it down but it's not next to Heat certainly no Rush Hour hour and either one is not Dirty Harry and remember he was coming away from having his hands all over ...The Stone-baby but it has some grit. Definitely enjoyed to no end.
July 5, 2007
I friggin' love the poster....one of the coolest movie posters of all time. I found it a bit boring when I first saw it, but something makes me want to see it again.
August 10, 2010
Entertaining but a poor plot and overly long. One of Scott's only misfires. Douglas gives his all but cannot save a sub-par film.
January 30, 2013
The karaoke scene with Andy Garcia and the Japanese guy is hilarious. Otherwise it's well shot, but the film is dated.
January 27, 2013
Don't understand how this film could get bad reviews. This is a staple for the action movie genre, and a great example of what a good action movie is. The brotherhood between Nick and Charlie is believable. And the screenplay is great too.
Lloyd Harrison
December 6, 2012
This Ridley Scott film isn't one of his most popular or best pieces, but in my opinion its underrated and is a reasonably good film. I dont have much care for Michael Douglas but he's very good in this film. He's a different type of cop/hero that we're used to compared to other 80's action thrillers. He's very cool, but he's vulnerable and not all good. His characters shady back story creates a dark atmosphere and tone which is intriguing. Andy Garcia and Ken Takakura are both good in supporting roles and Yusaku Matsuda is great as the villain. The pacing is a little jittery and the plot over complicates itself. The action is well proportioned and the set pieces are exciting. The soundtrack is my personal highlight and plays an integral part in setting the tone and atmosphere for the film. Overall Black Rain is a good film and deserves more credit. But sadly its forgettable and not Ridley Scott's finest moment.