• R, 1 hr. 35 min.

The Blob Reviews

TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

December 10, 2012
Chuck Russell's remake of The Blob is one of those rare films that reinvents the formula of the original and makes it more horrifying. The 1958 version of the film will always be a horror classic, but this version amps up the stakes quite a bit by having better, more disturbing special effects, which add so much to the film's atmosphere. I very much enjoyed the film, and I think the fans of the original film will also enjoy this newer version. As far as remakes are concerned, this is among the better ones. When done right, an update can actually be very good and that's the case about The Blob. The cast do a fine job with the material, and director Chuck Russell clearly has an understanding on how to create a truly entertaining, disturbing and very memorable horror film. The effects are clearly the highlight of the film and there are enough demented scenes that will appeal to monster film fans. This is a very well done picture that is sure to appeal to diehard horror hounds and it's definitely entertaining from start to finish. Chuck Russell has pulled off a great remake that is among the best that I've seen. Be prepared for some serious blob carnage as the giant mass eats and attacks its prey. From a technical standpoint, this version looks better, but in terms of story, the original will always be the one to watch. Enjoyable and areal delight for fans, if you come across The Blob, give it a shot, you're sure to have a blast. This is among the best films in the genre of the late 80's and it most certainly is a memorable picture to watch and enjoy. As a remake, this one does what so many other reimagining's have failed to do, revise the story and incorporate a very good cast with plenty of thrills to give the fans something worth seeing.
flixsterman
flixsterman

January 8, 2009
80's camp with wonderfully stereotypical characters. Not nearly as good as the original but has it's own cheesy charm.
WrenchLT
WrenchLT

April 9, 2007
This remake of the 50's cult classic was a very enjoyable thrill-ride of a movie - and a surprisingly gory one too! The gore effects are superb and the Blob creature has been brought to life as effectively as it could be for an 80's movie without being too cheesy. In my eyes it deservedly earns a spot on a list of best horror movie remakes next to the likes of Carpenter's 'The Thing' and Cronenberg's 'The Fly'.
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

October 20, 2010
Why it reminds me of "Planet Terror", I'm not really sure. Perhaps it's the evil scientists, perhaps it's over-the-top style. Whatever the case, the similarity in style is quite striking. Story-wise, it's pretty faithful to the 1958 version, although it wants to put a little more of an edge on things. Maybe the tag line should be "It's not your father's blob" (then again, maybe not). Donovan Leitch plays the jock (a role played by Steve McQueen in the original), and Kevin Dillon plays the motorcycle-riding bad boy (a character not found in the original), and it's clear who the film-makers favor. While he may be a bad boy, he's a nice guy at heart, even when it comes to the town goody-two shoes cheerleader (Shawnee Smith). Much like the original, a meteorite crashes in the woods outside of town and when an old man finds it, a blob-like substance attaches itself to his arm. The two upstanding young highschool students rush the old man off to the hospital, but by the time they figure out what they're dealing with, it's too late. The blob grows bigger with each victim it consumes. And speaking of Grindhouse, Eli Roth must've been paying tribute to this film with his "Thanksgiving Day" short. There's a specific scene where two high school students are parked at make-out point that's hilariously reminiscent of said scene. Maybe this re-make isn't going to make anyone's "must see" list, but it's a fun little horror gem from the 80s never the less.
FilmFanatik
FilmFanatik

October 14, 2009
I think they did a much better job with the story. Less campy and more horrific.
Jason O

September 14, 2009
Back when I was a kid and my parents were still together (in the gone but not forgotten decade of the 80s), me and my mom used to go to the video store all the time and rent tons of horror movies. There were a few that we both liked so much that we would rent them over and over again, and "The Blob" was one of them.
In "The Blob," a huge meteorite crashes on top of planet earth and releases a mysterious gooey substance that has a churning in its transparent stomach for human beings. This creature is very hot and it instantly devallows anybody that it can get its sticky hands (if it has any) on. Almost as mysterious as this galactic creature itself is a group of government workers who say they want to save the people, yet capture the alien in its live form.

"The Blob" is great in every way. It has good acting, it's sort of scary, it's suspenseful, and the storyline is intriguing without ever getting even slightly boring. Probably the most captivating is the film's special effects. Even though this version of "The Blob" was made in 1988, its special effects are so great that they are not dated one bit. Even by today's standard, "The Blob" has some of the best special effects ever, in my opinion.

During most of the running time, the movie follows a few teens around while the plot develops and the blob makes its deadly run. Whether it's swallowing somebody by aid of a drain, residing in the swamps, or taking over the city, this interstellar monster is fun to watch over and over for years and decades to come.

"The Blob" isn't one of my favorite movies of all time just because I have some fond memories of watching it when I was growing up, I still watch it every chance I get these days because it is a GREAT movie. I don't have a DVD player yet, but I know that when I do get one, this 1988 version of "The Blob" will be one of the first movies that I'll purchase.

I haven't seen the original version of "The Blob" yet, but I know one thing, even if the original is better, this 1988 classic will still be one of my favorite movies of all time....it's THAT good. If you like classic horror movies that are unforgettable and that don't know the meaning of getting old, purchase "The Blob" today! NOTE: That was my Amazon review from the year 2001.
Jason S

April 3, 2009
Not good... but fun to watch in a MST3K kind of way. The acting is bad. The story is simple and bad. But the fx are pretty good for the time. There are some shots that seem a little cheesy and blue screen-ish but for the most part I was pretty impressed.
Not a must see.
Luke B

March 21, 2009
The original is one of my all time favourite films. I love it so much. From the bizarre opening theme tune to Steven McQueen a) being called Steven and b) trying to play a teenager. It was pure genius. This remake is a surprisingly fantastic and brutal film. Sure it leaves behind the theme tune :'( but this is the 80's and that means Body-Shock horror. I'm surprised this isn't mentioned along with The Thing or The Fly, both excellent and twisted remakes. Here we see The Blob melting people away and it isn't nice. They scream, they beg and they melt and they bleed. The film doesn't care whom it kills or in what order. Having seen so many films, I was surprised, it clearly presents The Blob as a creature that will kill anyone. I loved the effects and the slight twists on the original, giving The Blob a slightly different origin. They'll make a fine double feature that I'll be happy to sit through. It creeps and leaps...
Adam M

February 7, 2009
75% of the movie is perfectly shot around great special effects; government conspiracy twist is a throwaway; Shawnee Smith is great, Kevin Dillon and Donavan Leitch are good and the legendary Del Close fades in from the wallpaper until he's the monster in the room
Nani V

November 2, 2008
I remember this came on tv when I was about 9 or 10...it was a Sunday afternoon...nothing to do. My sister and I actually watched the whole thing! lol...
SilentWarProductions2009
December 2, 2006
Directed by: Chuck Russell.
Starring: Shawnee Smith, Kevin Dillon, Donovan Leitch, Jeffrey DeMunn.

<<" It will come consuming sinner and saint alike...and who will be sparred? None but the righteous brothers and sisters...None but the righteous" >>

The story follows a small town hit by a meteorite that is discovered to contain a jello-like substance that grip itself onto someone and from there continues to grow and feed.

I'm shocked at how averagely rated this film is, completely understandable that the film doesn't reach high quality levels in the way of character and plot, but you do know that that is never the point...right?

What really had me going within the first 10 minutes of the film was the fact that the film had going for it what exactly I was wanting. We all need a moment where we can sit back with a pile of food and enjoy and equally silly and funny B-grade comedy/horror and The Blob achieves that balance brilliantly.

Written and Directed by the man behind the 2nd Nightmare on Elm Street sequel (the only good sequel) and co-written by legend Frank Darabont, they both masterfully work the right tone into this remake, making it vividly comical, quite tense and exciting in its moments and of course just one hell of a fun time thanks to some impressive effects work (if you ignore the obvious blue screen work) and brilliantly creative death ideas...at the end of the day, the acceptable plot and mediocre characters are not the point, as you never care for any of them, you just want them to die in the greatest ways, and Russell and Darabont know this and keep that in mind all the same, even when the film trails off a little in the final act.

I can't exactly review the remainder of the film such as performances, because the films purpose is never for that and being a 80's B-Grade film, I never expected it. Instead I expected The Blob to be a brilliantly comical B-Grade Comedy/Horror and I got that for one hell of a 90 minute running time.
366weirdmovies
366weirdmovies

July 31, 2008
Small town teens battle the titular goo. With action, good special effects and the minimal characterization we expect from monster movies, it?s at least as entertaining as the overrated original.
DragonEyeMorrison
DragonEyeMorrison

March 2, 2008
So, i remember this one being quite ok, haven't seen the original.
Lafe F

July 7, 2007
An updating of the classic Blob movie for a great 80's monster horror film.
Some of the classic scenes, like the old man finding the crashed meteor, and the movie theatre attack, were re-created.

The gore effects of the blob eating people were very inventive and realistic. It had a translucency, so you could people being dissolved inside it. Some of the scenes had me squirming, like the guy and girl in the car, the cook being pulled into the sink drain, the phone booth smoosh, the person being swatted by one of the blob's tentacles, and the blob pulling the boy up to the ceiling.

This movie was bit of a shock that they showed a kid being killed. They added the whole end sewer sequence, to make it more spectacular.

I remember this DVD being released on September 11th, 2001. I watched "The Blob" to take my mind off the real-life horrors which were taking place.
Dr Blood

June 23, 2007
A real treat for gorehounds this one! The effects are much better than in the 1958 original version of this film, including one that'll make you think twice about unblocking the sink again.
deano
deano

December 10, 2006
This is really shocker and the best remake of the horror movie with better effects than the original.
James A

May 18, 2006
Matt Dillon's little brother tries hard to be Matt Dillon, yet his curly mullet and giant face gets in the way.
Cameron W. Johnson
Cameron W. Johnson

October 19, 2013
Yes, puny humans, the blob has returned and is more... I don't know, gelatinous than ever... or something. Yeah, it was hard enough to make a blob monster sound scary back in 1958, and I doubt it got that much easier in '88, but hey, this is a blob, so, what, were they gonna title this "The Bomb", or was that being saved until after the box office results came in? One might suggest that in order to make a more serious monster flick they may as well have scrapped the idea of remaking "The Blob" and just not done a film with some kind of a jell-o monster, but I don't know, this blob is pretty hardcore, because the filmmakers tried to make up for the silliness of this film's name with some seriously messed-up gore. Yeah, this is more like John Carpenter's "The Blob", but that still didn't get butts in seats, and it's not like they were going to sell this film with the name of Frank Darabont, years before "The Shawshank Redemption" (He's a co-writer at any rate, so who would have ever cared?), or, Lord forbid, the name of [u]Kevin[/u] Dillon. Matt, alone, was all but forgotten by the time the 21st century rolled in, and if you think that it was a while after this film before "Shawshank" came around, we were a long, long way off from "Entourage" in 1988, so, I'm sorry, Kevin, but you weren't going to "rescue" this film from box office tragedy. ...Okay, well, at least this film did better than "The Rescue"... by, like, less than $2.5 million, which should tell you just how much the box office numbers of this thing were. Oh well, at least it wasn't a critical disaster, which is almost shocking, because, yeah, this film is almost as messy as the titular blob, or at least the blob's victims, though that isn't to say that there aren't some commendable beats.

Outside of the effects, of course, there's not a whole lot to this film's technical value, though there some impressive bits to, say, Mark Irwin's cinematography, whose stylish camera plays often do a decent job of drawing you into the environment, though not with as much effectiveness as Michael Hoenig's score, which is watered down and formulaic in a lot of areas, but generally with a fairly effective atmosphere the helps in selling some of the tension of this film. There is some commendable style here, but again, it's the effects that most stand out in this film, perhaps as the final product's all around best aspect, being adequately convincing and creative, especially when it comes to the gore effects, for although much of the extreme and disturbing violence portrayed in this film is often too hollow to not feel unnervingly gratuitous, on the whole, the unapologetic and morbidly nifty attention to harsh, effects-enhanced imagery reinforces a sense of consequence, established by undeniable highlights in storytelling. Chuck Russell's direction is sloppy, or at least too under-inspired to obscure the many, many, many missteps in writing, but when the atmosphere is neither limp or cloying, it's kind of effective, as Russell plays up anything from the aforementioned disturbing imagery to a chilling atmosphere, until he ultimately crafts some tension. I hate to call this film more effective than its original, even though I'm not particularly animalistic about the original, but this film is more active in its attempts to get under your skin, and when its bite hits its mark, it sinks deep, so yeah, this film really is scarier than its source material, and heights in such tension give you a particularly clear glimpse into potential. By no means is this film as unique as the original 1958 fluff piece, but its pretty loose interpretation of that film's subject matter is, on its own level, refreshing, and even more consequential, with more emphasis on conflict and momentum, and therefore more potential... to squander. I suppose you could say that this film's particular story concept is stronger than the original's, and I hate saying that, because the execution of this story concept is just so mishandled, and its not like this subject matter was ever to be all that juicy, but I have to give credit where credit is due, and if this film was more frequent with its effectiveness, then it would have perhaps been secured as genuinely decent. Alas, the film collapses, and quite decidedly, having plenty of worthy attributes, but not enough for the flaws to weaken much of the integrity of the final product, which can't even keep its pacing under control.

I suppose pacing is generally brisk, maybe even kind of entertaining, if you want to call this misfire entertaining to some extent, but all too often, this film is surprisingly kind of dull, with a limp, under-inspired atmosphere and draggy material that, after a while, begin to wear the film down as bland and distancing, and let me tell you, characterization doesn't exactly make things that much more engaging. I suppose there a few reasonably memorable supporting players in this game, but on the whole, characterization is kind of weak, - with most supporting characters being barely likable, while most primary roles prove to be barely interesting - and the performances don't really make anything better, because even though the acting isn't really that bad here, much of it is kind of under-inspired, doing nothing to flesh out limited acting material behind improvably drawn roles. Even on a character level, the film falls flat, and seeing as how this film's story is uninteresting enough without it being entirely about watching some blobby force of evil crawl around and make weird noises, much of the narrative is driven by its bland characters, who would perhaps be more compelling if they weren't so reflective of this film's genericism. As if it's not enough that this film drags you along with only so much to attach to, it doesn't even give the courtesy of unpredictability, because even though I'm not asking that this film be all that unique, the characters and story are too familiar, and as surely as these familiar characters reflect conventionalism within this story concept, the conventionalism within this story concept reflects some serious laziness to other elements in storytelling. Throughout this article, I've been tossing about the somewhat uncreative term "under-inspired", but it's about as good a way to describe this film as any, as director Chuck Russell establishes only so much style, yet still plays up style over substance a touch too much, to where much of the gore gets to be more disconcertingly gratuitous than consequential and, in a seriously morbid way, cool, and may very well be, well, kind of dumb. Really, what blands the film up about as much anything is its being kind of lame-brain, with cheesy dialogue and questionable plotting that leave the film to somehow come off as both lazy and overblown, as though it wants to be more than what it is, and ends up trying too hard for you to ignore the attributes that are anything but worthy of a promising story concept. Of course, that's not to say that all that it takes much to draw your attention in on the many, many problems with this trite, lazy and all around thoroughly uncompelling "thriller", because as promising and effective as this film is in a lot of ways, more often than not, it falls almost spectacularly flat under the weight of flaws which range from subtle to extreme, yet either way stand as consistent, challenging your investment until it just cannot be supported, resulting in the final product's downfall into mediocrity.

In conclusion, there are some nifty moments to style, and plenty of nifty moments to the effects, particularly when they're really played up with morbidly impressive gore effects that join highlights in atmospheric storytelling in establishing effective moments that reflect potential for a decent film that would have been achieved if it wasn't for the blandly uneven pacing, fall-flat characterization, underwhelming acting, overwhelming genericism and lazy, if not dumb storytelling that make Chuck Russell's "The Blob" a misguided misfire that squanders potential under the pressure of mediocrity.

2.25/5 - Mediocre
Francisco  G.
Francisco G.

September 6, 2011
Typical 80's horror flick with all the clichés (the rebel without a cause, the pretty cheerleader, the sheriff, the annoying little brothers, etc.) soaked with amazing special effects and inventive/repulsive deaths.