12% No Good Deed Sep 12

89% Outlander: Season 1
46% Reckless: Season 1

The Border Reviews

July 7, 2013
An underrated flick with a great cast (Nicholson! Keitel!) and decent direction, which more or less compensate for a predictable plot.
June 2, 2013
Everything about this film worked, it was just really conventional and predictable.
May 17, 2013
Probably one of the better Nicholson films you haven't seen. Not as good as the ones you probably have seen, but, still quality in its own right.
September 22, 2012
Mexicans have fun while Jack trys not to kill anyone.
FilmGrinder S.
March 10, 2013
95%

"I can't afford a fucking dream house!"-Charlie Smith (Jack Nicholson)

I believe foreigners understand "The American Dream" better then most Americans, these sad days.

"Soups on!"-Charlie Smith
December 27, 2012
This is a film I had seen a couple of times and really not appreciated. It really clicked with me this time. Tony Richardson seems like an odd choice to direct a film set in Texas with a screenplay co-written by Walon Green. On the face of it, this should be a Walter Hill film, and I think that's what I was expecting on previous viewings. Richardson's kitchen sink sensibility really dominates as the film spends a lot of time developing the characters and the setting and casually circling the thriller elements until the film explodes in a rather startlingly violent climax. If you really give your self over to the very casual pace, it's a rewarding film. Nicholson and Keitel are really superb in this and there's a really nice supporting role for Warren Oates.
September 11, 2008
It's not one of Nicholson's Best, but not bad.
September 8, 2012
Okay, edgy, confrontational, great fucking cast...Villos on cinematography ("Close Encounters")....but...ummm...maybe in '82 this was razor-edged film making..but now? I now want to see "Extreme Prejudice" again badly - I remember it stepping over the line frequently. But, as I've recently experienced with "Red Dawn", we were pussies in the '80's. "Scarface" and "The Thing" being excluded. Conclusion: see this if you like Jack, Harvey or a white-guilt tale about the border. No offense intended - it's just what it is. Watch and tell me I'm wrong?
September 2, 2012
a different Nicholson- well done.
May 22, 2012
Fine modernday Western drama featuring a rather understated performance from Jack Nicholson which holds the film together as it does have the tendency to wander a little bit.
Nicholson plays Charlie a border guard ,who slowly becomes embrolied in the so called running of WETS or migrants from across the border in Mexico.
You know their is trouble instore when your boss is Warren Oates and your best friend is Harvey Keitel and sure enough trouble is only is a hearbeat away.

Nicholsons wife isnt helping things spending money like water on things they cant afford and forever pestering Charlle about his career pospects.

Into this cauldon Nicholson becomes embroiled with a migrant named Maria who pricks Charlies concience.

The film is pretty interesting and Nicholson is very good here keeping all the histronics in check .
The thing that baffles me is Tony Richardson of Tom Jones fame directed this.

Thats not a bad thing per se but the film feesl like it should have been directed by a Peak Sam Peckinpah or Walter Hill who could have bought out the films more grittier aspects.

As it stands its an interesting addtion to the modern day Western .
February 23, 2012
I am very surprised that a movie like this hasn't been made recently. Yeah it's a controversial topic, but aren't some of the best movies made of controversey? This filim does show its age a bit whic I think explains the audience rating/Tomatometer discrepency, but if you want to see Jack do his thing and young Keitel match up with him, check this out.
Kevin Rimney
January 28, 2012
There's nothing wrong with this film, just seems to not leave you with much to cling to after it's done. Nicholson's performance is the highlight here but as a reserved and brooding character who isn't that interesting.

I can't see ever wanting to see this again so it's getting alower score, though it isn't that terrible of film.
June 25, 2007
Great performance by both Jack Nicholson and Harvey Keitel! Also, the late Warren Oates is at his finest. Nice on-locations shots in Guatemala and Antigua. Nice ending. I think it's one of Nicholson's best..
KevinRobbins
July 23, 2011
Every street is paved with gold and it's just across the borderline

Charlie Smith is a fairly corrupt border patrol officer that decides to move out of a trailer and into a nicer part of town. The new lifestyle causes Charlie to partake in some illegal behaviors with his fellow border patrol officers to obtain additional funds to keep up financially with his neighbors and wife's spending. When Charlie comes across a beautiful Mexican girl who is struggling to take care of her daughter, he rethinks his behaviors and lifestyle.

"We're driving you back so often we aught to start charging you bus fair."

Tony Richardson, director of Blue Sky, The Phantom of the Opera (1990), Ned Kelly, Hamlet (1969), Tom Jones, Sanctuary, and The Charge of the Light Brigade, delivers The Border. The storyline for this picture is quite compelling and delivers the premise in a way that almost depicts the Americans as the bad guys. The settings, script, and characters are well delivered. The cast delivers solid performances and includes Jack Nicholson, Harvey Keitel, Valerie Perrine, Warren Oates, and Alan Fudge.

"When you come back you'll have good jobs, $6 per day."

We have been DVR'ing random Jack Nicholson pictures over the last few years and I wanted to see this picture because it starred both Keitel and Nicholson. I loved the story of the mother and the depiction of the struggles of the young Mexican couple. I thought this picture delivered solid depth and worthwhile characters and I recommend seeing this underrated gem.

"You gotta think about going forwards not backwards."

Grade: B (7.5)
May 20, 2011
Part of my Jack Nichol-thon (bad pun intended). The story is interesting, but combined with bad audio-quality and many uninteresting characters makes for many dull and forgettable scenes. Jack Nicholson, once again, pulls a fantastic performance out of the film, considerably impressive considering what little he has to work with, and the fact he's playing against type. That said, The Border is an enjoyable movie with some good action scenes.
May 12, 2011
Nicholson is good...story is lacking...could have been better...
jackgbowman
January 21, 2011
a different Nicholson- well done.
GiovannyTG
December 27, 2009
Want To See ItWant To See It
bradwest
December 13, 2008
Not bad, but too preachy. Might go over a bit easier given today's climate though.
Christopher B

April 9, 2008
Great Nicholson and Keitel film that holds up to todays standards. A great morality piece and a fantastic story with great characters. I really need to see this again.