Brainstorm Reviews

August 18, 2015
I'm on the fence about this one. It suffers from most Trumbull pictures, which is that it's beautiful looking but the plot is hokey and full of holes. The sound mixing was awful, totally up and down. The change of aspect ratio is jarring and probably only looks decent in the theater (though i can't imagine it's not distracting there too).This was a good concept that sort of dissolved by bad writing and some bad directing- you have a cast of real talent but nobody's fulfilling their potential. I loved Louise Fletcher's character (and acting), and I love the concept of seeing and feeling somebody's thoughts as they die. If they had trimmed the fat, thrown out the marriage/love stuff, thrown out the hokey friends-band-together ending and just went for the deep and disturbing aspects hard, this could have easily been 5 stars. I'm not one to suggest remakes but I would definitely love to see a trimmed remake of this movie- though it would have to be real sets Trumbull style and minimal CGI.
April 11, 2015
A real horror show of a movie....only of importance as Woods last.
March 11, 2015
I accidentally saw this when I meant to see The Dead Zone. This wasn't too good. Mostly a bunch of talk about a machine and experiments so it was more like an old documentary I was forced to watch in junior high.
December 30, 2014
An obtuse, difficult picture that feels all over the place.
½ December 18, 2014
Unsatisfying melodrama.
December 5, 2014
It's an interesting concept to think about and it's well acted, but it has not aged well.
September 16, 2014
Amazing James Horner soundtrack, pretty dark film...
January 25, 2014
As electroencephalogram technology comes into more use, this film's premise becomes more potentially "hard" sci-fi. Amazing sets for any computer nostalgia geek. Dip switches galore. Realistic, ahead-of-the-time technology. Breathtaking score.
½ December 5, 2013
Brainstorm has a killer concept for its time about a headset designed to allow others to experience the physical pleasures of another individual wearing a pairing headset. It's well cast too, and Louise Fletcher's performance is easily the stand out. It's just too bad the film's interesting setup just kind of died and went nowhere. For such an thrilling concept, not to mention the film's genius of making the regular scenes in 1:85:1 and the headset sequences 2:35:1, the rest of the film is rather slow and doesn't build up enough to make us care. It's a very indecisive film, and it's just a bit off balance. I understood a lot of what the film was going for, but it missed its mark. The movie was fun, sort of dramatic at the beginning, than turned into pain and conspiracy, than became psychological. It was too disjointed and all over. It's too bad, because there's a lot of great scenes in this movie with the characters developing and experimenting with the invention, the headset becoming an object of trauma and psychological damage, and the thrills emerge fairly well. Its pace just kills it in the end, and while the concluding act brings the film back up to speed with some action moments, it then becomes a bit rushed. I can assume Natalie Wood's demise may have ultimately affected some of the shooting and the final film, given how the production had to make its way around her death and ran into issues. A missed potential for sure, I'd watch it again for some key scenes, but otherwise it's a unfortunate disappointment.
October 1, 2013
i love the movie of the future
½ September 27, 2013
Unfortunately Natalie Wood's death condemned this promising picture to be only half as good as it could have been.
September 1, 2013
I never had seen this one. Watched it last night....and I reallthing it was far beyond its years. The subject matter is very heady, but its pretty well done, and features the beautiful FX work of Douglas Trumball. (whom also directed it). It is a subject that has been taped into dozens of times since, but this was (from an early 80's perception) pretty radical. The "brainscan" sequences are presented in ultra wide fisheyed POV format...and are super fun to watch. I may want to get a blue ray of this...The acting is so so...but certainly not too distracting.
August 17, 2013
Douglas Trumbull's stunning directorial debut is haunted by Natalie Wood's death, but the film in its final form is an unqualified triumph and decades ahead of its time.
July 26, 2013
One of my favorites and a great SF film for its day
July 31, 2007
I actually knew nothing about this movie before watching it, I just saw it on the shelves of my local library and saw that Christopher Walken was in and that was enough for me. Overall it is not that bad, it has an interesting premise, and Christopher Walken, plus getting to see all the ancient tech was fun, although it ended pretty abruptly, what happened to the main characters, did they get in trouble for what they did, were they arrested? some closure would have been nice, but overall it was OK for what it was.
May 22, 2013
Francisco G.
April 21, 2013
A sci-fi flick riddled with excellent ideas, executed rather well by the cast and interesting raw machines sfx and allucinations/first-person perspectives that is just too rigid on it's execution. The editing is so precise and analytical that makes it hard to follow these characters properly. The pacing is a bit off at times and the last "heist" segment just didn't cut it for me. Given the troubled production this movie had going, it's no surprise that there's a whole "let's just finnish this quickly" vibe going by, which is a shame cause this had the potential to have something special going like, say, Altered States for a broader audience. Missed opportunity.
½ July 15, 2012
Uma dupla de cientistas cria uma máquina que permite gravar e tocar experiências com a mesma fidelidade da vida real. Um dos cientistas grava sua própria morte e a fita vira tabu. Muito interessante notar a evolução do projeto, as interferências políticas, os saltos criativos.
½ March 15, 2013
It's been eons since I've seen this, but this curiously forgotten piece of sci fi is still somewhat relevant today what with big dreamers and gummint evil doers waiting to take over. There's a new virtual reality machine being made, and it's stunning, but when the corperation that is helping to create it sides too much with the government, the creator fights back. Christopher Walken is great being Christopher Walken, and Natalie Wood is a bit odd to look at when we're finding out this was her last movie ever. Well worth seeing (again)
January 22, 2013