Brewster's Millions Reviews

½ February 22, 2015
This was one of those early movies that kinda popped outta nowhere (for me). I think the earliest Pryor movies I remember seeing were double acts with Gene Wilder such as 'Stir Crazy'. As for Candy I believe I first saw him in 'National Lampoon's Vacation'. I remember this being a regular flick on TV back in the day, always on in the afternoon or early evening, easy going, fun for all but also very easily lost under the radar.

Believe it or not but this story is actually based on a novel from 1902 and there have been many film adaptations (as well as theatre productions). The funny thing is these older films don't have quite the same impact, for example...the 1945 version sees Brewster having to spend a mere 1 million Dollars in 60 days or less to inherit 7 million (slight alteration from the original novel which has a full year to spend the 1 million). Now that feat would probably be relatively doable these days.

The plot has always been one of much debate though it must be said. A rich old relation leaves Monty Brewster (Pryor) a tough decision in his will, he can either take 1 million Dollars no questions asked right away or he can take the challenge. The challenge being he has 30 days to spend 30 million Dollars and not have any assets (that he doesn't already own) at the end of it. Further to that he must receive value for services of anyone he hires, he cannot buy something expensive and just destroy it and he can't just give stuff away as gifts. He can only donate 5% to charity and gamble 5% away, plus he cannot tell anyone of the challenge. If he manages to do this by the 30 day limit he will inherit 300 million Dollars, if he fails he gets nothing, not even the 1 million.

Now this has to be a real nail biter of a decision and one that is sure to draw discussion after you've seen it. Its like that age old question...what would you do if you won a vast amount on the lottery? Personally I'd be more inclined to take the 1 million and run because surely in this day and age (or even back then) it would be impossible to spend 1 million per day for 30 days. The fact you cannot own anything by the deadline is not only painful but just impractical. The main reason being if you had that kind of money the first things most folk would buy would probably be property, cars and gifts...all of which you can't do with this challenge. If you really really think about it, it would be incredibly hard to do. But of course the lure is the 300 million, money to literately burn, but failure results in zilch.

A great concept for sure with added imagination and teamed up with some stellar 80's casting. This movie really can't go wrong, what better way to produce good comedic scenarios than having an everyday bum needing to spend spend spend on whatever he likes. The film practically writes itself, you know what to expect when you read about it and having the crazy unpredictable force of Richard Pryor in the lead is a surefire winner. Sure enough its enormous fun watching Pryor go from zero to hero with his fortune. He walks around New York like he owns the city, he's hiring people left and right on exorbitant salaries for menial tasks, he's allowing people to pitch wacky preposterous inventions and ideas to him for funding, making bad bets, throwing big bashes, running a protest campaign in the local elections for Mayor which would cost tonnes of money etc...

The sequence where he buys a rare stamp (the Inverted Jenny) and then posts it is actually very clever indeed, I would have never thought to do that. Although I'm not sure if a stamp that's just over 70 years of age (in 1985) would be usable for actual postage, I could be wrong. Another clever idea (although part of the plot) was hosting an exhibition game between the local baseball team Brewster plays for and the Yankees, again I wouldn't of thought of that.

Whilst watching questions do pop up in my little brain though. Even if he didn't manage to complete the challenge wouldn't he be able to stash amounts he earned through whatever venture in a bank account somewhere for later. If its not part of the 30 million I'm sure you could hide earnings, especially bet winnings or stocks and shares earnings. The other thing that hit me was his electoral campaign for Mayor which he was winning hands down, if he lost the challenge he could easily of kept that job. I don't think the company that was in charge of the challenge could take that away from him. Really I'm sure there could be ways of staying rich even if you did lose the challenge.

I wouldn't really say I'm nitpicking but simply putting more thought into what I would have done if it was me, just like the lottery question. This is just one of those happy-go-lucky 80's productions that was extremely light-hearted and warm. As I said anyone can enjoy this with the ever dependable Candy in full flow with his funny fat faced expressions and mannerisms. Pryor shows he could do lovable easy comedy roles just as well as more edgy adult orientated ones and of course look out for an early Rick Moranis role. Not forgetting the great range of character actors and familiar faces supporting the main leads. A near perfect old classic underrated comedy with a fun story, fun performances and a happy ending.
½ June 21, 2011
Brewster's Millions, present a intelligent plot, that could have a better screenplay, and a comic cast with Richard Pryor, John Candy, Hume Cronyn, Archie Hahn and Rick Moranis. But the film become desappointing, showing a not so exciting script and a weak direction by Hill. However, it's a interesting movie. Probably, the anothers films, based on the homonym novel Brewster's Millions are better that is 1985 picture. Rotten.
September 6, 2010
This is actually a remake of an older movie, but Pryor is such a great comedy actor, it's really his movie, and it's very entertaining.
September 4, 2006
A great concept for a Comedy and an enjoyable rewatch of the 80?s classic. Thought provokingly comical.
½ September 29, 2009
I love this film, it?s a classic 80's comedy!
CloudStrife84
July 24, 2007
Good 80's fun! It's quite sad though that John Candy and Richard Pryor are no longer with us these days, because they sure brought a lot of splendor to the comedy world in their time, which this movie is a fairly good example of (even if it's pretty average on the whole). Wherever the two of them are now, I'm sure they're still spreading a lot joy and happiness around them, while their work and achievements here will always remain legendary.
sanjurosamurai
½ January 26, 2007
one of the movie classics, great comedy
½ July 1, 2007
One of Richard Pryor's better films. Recently re-made as Mr Deeds I think. In order to inherit a huge fortune his has to spend $30 million in 30 days, without giving it away. Easier said than done.
February 27, 2007
Funny. Just makes you want to blow a few million for kicks.
garyX
½ February 18, 2007
Typical 80s comedy in that the charisma and chemistry of its stars, Candy and Pryor, shore up a weak script. Likeable because of same, but never exactly hilarious.
January 12, 2013
When minor league baseball pitcher Montgomery Brewster becomes the heir of his great uncle's fortune, he's given 30 days to spend $30 million dollars in order to receive the full inheritance in the zany, off-the-wall comedy Brewster's Millions. Richard Pryor and John Candy lead the cast and deliver great performances. The comedy's a lot of fun and works well, but it's a bit formulaic. And, the characters are somewhat stereotypical. While it's not the most original comedy, Brewster's Millions is entertaining and full of laughs.
August 13, 2010
Now here is a film that had alot of potential. Now it is also a film that could've, should've been a standout, but maybe it was a little boring?

It was funny at some scenes, and told a very good story. iIt was pretty well directed. I also thought it was well acted, but maybe John Candy wasn't at his best?Now even as the film went on, I kept watching it, somehow feeling very intuned in it. I thought the story was very engaging, even if it was rather unfunny at times.

"Brewster's Millions" might be one of the least funniest, yet most compelling stories ever. It might not win over everyone, but if you see it's potential, and you like a good story, then this film is for you.

True Rating(s)) NRR: Not Rated Right
PG-13 for Constanst Adult Language including extensive use of the b-word, mild viollence, some serious potty humor,and sexual refrencees .
KevinTheMovieManiac
½ February 22, 2009
A decent 80's comedy with Richard Pryor. I also liked the performance by John Candy. This is the story of a minor league baseball player who has inherted 30 million dollars from his late great uncle. He has 30 days in which to spend the money or he doesnt get to keep it. If he does spend all the money he gets 300 million. The plot was predicatable at times,but a worthwhile wtch in my book. check it out if you like 80's comdies like I do.
½ July 29, 2006
Actually holds up pretty good for an 80's comedy. Watched it alot as a kid too.
May 20, 2008
Still one of my fave richard pryor films. With an interesting storyline.
½ January 17, 2008
I remember being so excited about this when I was younger. Richard Pryor and John Candy! Awesome! I still liked it, but I really would have to see it as an adult to judge if it's any good or not. It's Walter Hill, it can't be that bad.
DrLappos
May 27, 2007
Pryor misses Wildr in this but its still a great film
January 20, 2007
One of the better Richard Pryor films.
½ January 30, 2014
Sadly, as much as I love John Candy and Richard Pryor movies like these don't hold up and I have a hard time believing they were all that revered back in the 80s.
½ August 19, 2012
Pryor and Candy have enough fire-power to add a decent dosage of comedic ingenuity in this uneven, but relatively entertaining picture...