Movies Like Das Cabinet des Dr. Caligari. (The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari)

92% Guardians of the Galaxy Aug 01

85% Welcome to Sweden: Season 1
77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Das Cabinet des Dr. Caligari. (The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari) Reviews

July 2, 2014
Beyond being an iconic milestone in the evolution of cinema, Robert Wiene's masterpiece is still as entertaining as ever. The truly great films never go out of style.
June 25, 2014
A visually stunning work of early psychological horror... A masterful piece of art, unlike anything you've ever seen on film before--I'd say its influence is everywhere.. Nightmarishly beautiful!!
Brenda J.
June 22, 2014
"The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari" is a waste of time. The film is not scary nor is it interesting in anyway.
Simonhardinguk
June 7, 2014
It sounded interesting and started off well, but Dr. Caligari quickly became the first silent movie I have seen so far that failed to keep me entertained. Described as a German Horror, you can quickly see why it would be called that with the creepy Dr. Caligari and his future-telling sleepwalker involved in a murder mystery. With one death done very well with the use of shadows, you do hold hope that the rest of the feature would follow this effective pattern. Unfortunately, this doesn't seem the case as much of the remaining time is spent with searching for the professor in a very confusing manner. Granted, I can imagine many people who enjoy silent movies fully understanding it. For me, however, I just could not connect with it and was not finding any enjoyment in it what so ever.
May 18, 2014
Una de las películas más influyentes del cine, con decorados muy surrealista y quizá la primera en presentar un giro en la trama en su narrativa.
May 14, 2014
Innovative at its premiere, but dated nonetheless. Watch at your own peril.
April 27, 2014
I have never seen a film like it! The way the sets were designed, The acting, The Characters and The Story are some of the best things about it. 5 Stars!
March 18, 2012
I love the feel. I love the wild, jagged, expressionist imagery & set decoration. I love the whole concept & effort.
The one issue I have to raise is the long-winded nature, at times. This comes from someone who has a very wide attention span & is no stranger to the silents. But some of the facial gesturing went on for so long, that the film ended up dragging at several points (despite its relatively short length).
Arguably, the first horror film. Great plot twist ending. Glad to have finally seen it.
February 16, 2014
One of the most significant contributions of German Expressionism to cinema was to consider the camera as a subjective force, to release it from an observational position to an active entity in the filmmaking process. The impact of the subjective camera has been profound, and without it much of the contemporary film grammar would not exist. Imagine the triumphant beauty of Gravity (Alfonso Cuarón 2013), Kundun (Martin Scorsese 1997), T2 Judgment Day (James Cameron 1992), A Clockwork Orange (Stanley Kubrick 1972), Life of Pi (Ang Lee 2012), Do the Right Thing (Spike Lee 1989), The Hurt Locker (Kathryn Bigelow 2009), Saving Private Ryan (Steven Spielberg 1998), Psycho (Alfred Hitchcock 1960), Halloween (John Carpenter 1978) and The Bourne Ultimatum (Paul Greengrass 2007) without the first-person shots from the perspective of the murderers, the astronauts, the soldiers, the secret agents, the killing machines etc, and how much less powerful those scenes could have been, since this technique sets the audience straightforwardly in the action.
March 10, 2014
One of the best and most significant films produced in the silent era. A genuinely interesting story that ties into among the best endings in early cinema Fantastically masterful mise-en scene and excellent expressionist acting, particularly from Caligari himself.
July 14, 2013
The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari is the keystone of a strain of bizarre, fantastical cinema that flourished in Germany in the 1920s; It plays as an art movie to the high class crowds who appreciate its innovations, but it's also a horror movie with a gimmick. With its sideshow ambiance, hypnotic mad scientist villain, and leotard-clad, heroine-abducting monster, The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari is a major early entry in the horror genre, introducing images, themes, characters, and expressions that became fundamental to the likes of Tod Browning's Dracula and James Whale's Frankenstein.
February 20, 2014
still creepier than alot of the lame 'horror' coming out of hollywood.
February 15, 2014
The Gabinet of Dr. Caligari, has an excellent expressionist plot, not only plot but all the decoration indeed, you know it's hard to see a hilarious and well-done horror movie, and it's twisting ending is the reason of why this film is one of the best horror movies ever made, unforgettable.
February 10, 2014
Ingenious and artful, 'Cabinet' will still give you thrills from its visuals and demented sequences.
January 23, 2014
There's some fine haunting visual to enjoy and the story is as clear and entertaining as it can get for a movie without dialogue.
October 29, 2012
I think the term 'avant-garde' might have been exclusively created for this film. A twisted, highly creative and memorable Expressionistic opus.
August 11, 2013
i would love it ,just the way it is, even it was released today !
November 13, 2013
"Step Righttttt in!"

Gets better and better until the end of the act and painted another half star because it will cause me to re-watch,Great,just,I have a minor problem with the music.That moment when the sleeper standing at the window and approaching the lady,my favorite part and it will bookmark to my all time favorite cinematic moment.

A real sign of making a horror film.A kind of spirit which many filmmakers born in technology-world simply lacking.
January 2, 2014
With its breathtaking visuals, Wiene's masterpiece is an excellent example of German Expressionism; It's no surprise that this film has survived the test of time to become one of the most important films of the 1920's.
November 9, 2013
It is difficult to impress modern film viewers with just how innovative and horrifying this film was in 1920. Today we have countless films and shows that tap into our fear of mindless zombies - and it really all began here. The use of angles, shadows, lighting, sets, etc. likewise opened up endless possibilities to advance the new medium of film.