Movies Like Das Cabinet des Dr. Caligari. (The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari)

27% The Other Woman Apr 25

—— The Soul Man: Season 3
—— Suburgatory: Season 3

Das Cabinet des Dr. Caligari. (The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari) Reviews

March 18, 2012
I love the feel. I love the wild, jagged, expressionist imagery & set decoration. I love the whole concept & effort.
The one issue I have to raise is the long-winded nature, at times. This comes from someone who has a very wide attention span & is no stranger to the silents. But some of the facial gesturing went on for so long, that the film ended up dragging at several points (despite its relatively short length).
Arguably, the first horror film. Great plot twist ending. Glad to have finally seen it.
February 16, 2014
One of the most significant contributions of German Expressionism to cinema was to consider the camera as a subjective force, to release it from an observational position to an active entity in the filmmaking process. The impact of the subjective camera has been profound, and without it much of the contemporary film grammar would not exist. Imagine the triumphant beauty of Gravity (Alfonso Cuarón 2013), Kundun (Martin Scorsese 1997), T2 Judgment Day (James Cameron 1992), A Clockwork Orange (Stanley Kubrick 1972), Life of Pi (Ang Lee 2012), Do the Right Thing (Spike Lee 1989), The Hurt Locker (Kathryn Bigelow 2009), Saving Private Ryan (Steven Spielberg 1998), Psycho (Alfred Hitchcock 1960), Halloween (John Carpenter 1978) and The Bourne Ultimatum (Paul Greengrass 2007) without the first-person shots from the perspective of the murderers, the astronauts, the soldiers, the secret agents, the killing machines etc, and how much less powerful those scenes could have been, since this technique sets the audience straightforwardly in the action.
March 10, 2014
One of the best and most significant films produced in the silent era. A genuinely interesting story that ties into among the best endings in early cinema Fantastically masterful mise-en scene and excellent expressionist acting, particularly from Caligari himself.
July 14, 2013
The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari is the keystone of a strain of bizarre, fantastical cinema that flourished in Germany in the 1920s; It plays as an art movie to the high class crowds who appreciate its innovations, but it's also a horror movie with a gimmick. With its sideshow ambiance, hypnotic mad scientist villain, and leotard-clad, heroine-abducting monster, The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari is a major early entry in the horror genre, introducing images, themes, characters, and expressions that became fundamental to the likes of Tod Browning's Dracula and James Whale's Frankenstein.
February 20, 2014
still creepier than alot of the lame 'horror' coming out of hollywood.
February 15, 2014
The Gabinet of Dr. Caligari, has an excellent expressionist plot, not only plot but all the decoration indeed, you know it's hard to see a hilarious and well-done horror movie, and it's twisting ending is the reason of why this film is one of the best horror movies ever made, unforgettable.
February 10, 2014
Ingenious and artful, 'Cabinet' will still give you thrills from its visuals and demented sequences.
January 23, 2014
There's some fine haunting visual to enjoy and the story is as clear and entertaining as it can get for a movie without dialogue.
October 29, 2012
I think the term 'avant-garde' might have been exclusively created for this film. A twisted, highly creative and memorable Expressionistic opus.
August 11, 2013
i would love it ,just the way it is, even it was released today !
November 13, 2013
"Step Righttttt in!"

Gets better and better until the end of the act and painted another half star because it will cause me to re-watch,Great,just,I have a minor problem with the music.That moment when the sleeper standing at the window and approaching the lady,my favorite part and it will bookmark to my all time favorite cinematic moment.

A real sign of making a horror film.A kind of spirit which many filmmakers born in technology-world simply lacking.
January 2, 2014
With its breathtaking visuals, Wiene's masterpiece is an excellent example of German Expressionism; It's no surprise that this film has survived the test of time to become one of the most important films of the 1920's.
November 9, 2013
It is difficult to impress modern film viewers with just how innovative and horrifying this film was in 1920. Today we have countless films and shows that tap into our fear of mindless zombies - and it really all began here. The use of angles, shadows, lighting, sets, etc. likewise opened up endless possibilities to advance the new medium of film.
Allen R.
December 15, 2013
Of course "The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari" is a priceless work of priceless cinematic influence - however, how much can we really grade a film on its influence? Although the course of the history of film would have played out entirely differently had "Caligari" not been made, that does not mean that the film itself is entirely good. In fact, it's quite to the contrary.
No one needs utter a word more about the greatness of the art direction and its inseparable ties to the plot - but that only goes so far when the remaining film is borderline unwatchable. The grueling pacing of the hour long film (which consist of a plot that could have and should have been told adequately in 20 minutes) and intentionally overly prolonged and exaggerated acting leave us simply bored out of our minds. We get the point of the scene 5 seconds into it and the film stays on the same plot point for another 3 or so minutes. This can obviously partially be blamed on the times - films simply moved slower back then - but not ALL of them. 1920's "The Golem" for example, used much similar, although much subtler, stylistic art direction and is SUPREMELY a more enjoyably watchable piece. In fact, I argue that all the praise given to the influence of "Caligari" is misplaced and SHOULD, in fact, be given to "The Golem," as typically all subsequent films with expressionistic aspects are quite subtly done, just as it was with "The Golem" and NOT "The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari" - while both were in production at the same exact time.
December 18, 2013
A superbly crafted yet very weird horror epic, THE CABINET OF DR. CALIGARI was one of the very first true horror films, and it introduced new things to filmmaking that are sadly almost thought of as second nature today, like the plot twist. This is an exceptional film; it is in my opinion required viewing for every film fanatic.
November 25, 2013
In primis parlerei della scenografia: l'effetto da espressionismo tedesco e' una cosa davvero notevole e che colpisce tutt'oggi, e' vero che e' tutto allestito in un teatro, ma riesce comunque a far sognare e a far dimenticare questa piccolezza. Inizialmente non volevo dargli il massimo dei voti perche' la storia mi pareva banale e non particolarmente intrigante, ma il colpo di scena finale fa cambiare tutta la visione precedente del film.
October 30, 2013
The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari is considered to be one of the first horror films ever made, but it's also considered one of the finest examples of German expressionism. It's also a very fine film. Shot on unconventional sets with an unconventional outcome to the story, it slowly de-evolves from a simple Frankenstein-type story into a tale of madness. All of the images are stark and creepy, even by today's standards. It's a film that's one part art film and one part narrative. Performances are good, but it's really about the story and the overall ark of it all, and not necessarily the acting. Being in the public domain, it's easy to track down a copy of this film, but you might want to pay the extra money for a proper Special Edition of it because of the fact that the film can be in very poor shape depending on which DVD you buy.
October 26, 2013
This is a pretty amazing movie considering it's 93 years old. The story is great and I love the set designs, they are very expressionistic. If you can get beyond the fact it's a silent movie and the quality of the film is poor you'll see a film that helped create the modern film industry.
October 24, 2013
In Caligari Land, where everything is literally bent out of shape, an odd carny has a great side show attraction.. A Somnubalist! He also is responsible for some murders! Which should explain a lot of things, but it really doesn't. This is one of these classic movies that I should like more but I really don't.